Hobby Boss VK 4502(p) 1/35

Here's the Hobby Boss VK 4502 (p) with the forward turret. Its an excellent kit but the tracks are hard work as you can see. It has a fully detailed turret which is completely hidden from view so I didn't bother. Paints are Model Air and AK for the red primer. I've made the colour scheme up entirely but am reasonably happy with it. Story goes that one cam out to fight the advancing Russians at Kummersdorf in April 45 but no real evidence exists. As always would welcome your views. Thanks

David

IMG_7029IMG_7041IMG_7039IMG_7056IMG_7041
  • Like 10

Looks pretty good to me David.  I don't see anything wrong with the tracks and the weathering on them looks right on.

I wonder what ever possessed them to put a hatch on the side of the turret when they had the main hatch at the rear.  Seems like a serious

chink in the armour to me.

Lloyd

Another engineering marvel that turns out to be a wreck.  I never noticed this before on a Tiger II with the Porsche turret and I was wanting to build one to go with

my several Henschel turret versions but maybe not.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

19 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Looks pretty good to me David.  I don't see anything wrong with the tracks and the weathering on them looks right on.

I wonder what ever possessed them to put a hatch on the side of the turret when they had the main hatch at the rear.  Seems like a serious

chink in the armour to me.

Lloyd

I would guess it was designed to throw out used shell casings, as reaching 1m+ through the rear of the turret was impossible.... it appears to be too small for a person I'd think?!?

• Like 1

Storing ammo in the rear of the turret was forbidden via a Führerbefel after late 44! The tanks ammo blew up too often and as such the rear was mostly left empty late on. Came across this when I spoke to a German King Tiger commander some 15 years ago in Calgary.

• Like 1

An interesting subject with an even more interesting camo scheme. I myself have always thought red a good colour for 2 or 3 colour camo patterns, but only for forests/woodland. Red light is absorbed by foliage, so the contrast between red and green is high and thus helps to break up the shape of a tank  much better. Well, that's what I think anyway.

BTW I can't see the layout of the road wheels, but clearly it was different from the Tigers, and possibly there were fewer wheels? I'd have thought that a weakness as well?

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi  Its the running gear which went on to be that of Ferdinand/Elefant. The wheels are not interleaved and the suspension units sit outside of the hull on the inside of the wheels.You're right in that it didn't have the best mobility. This was supposed to have some mythical Porsche 10 cylinder engine (I think) but Ferdinand/Elefant had 2 smaller Maybachs which at least ran properly.

Cheers

David