Spitfire Mk.1 ; 1/72 Airfix

Hello all , I recently finished my first (well first one with airbrush ) spitfire after building over 50 models ! I am now trying my best to correct this travesty by assembling another couple of eduard spits . This is a weird little model from airfix - the landing gear legs are molded with the doors and I am not sure what purpose this serves  :o ; the panel lines are also on the heavier side though acceptable .  I weathered the model to replicate a sun bleached airplane and intentionally exaggerated the colour fading than I usually do . 

BTW , the decal sheet didn't provide any roundel for the lower wing surface even though it had an extensive selection of stencils including a dozen for the lower surface .  Is this true for the real thing as well or a glaring omission from airfix ? This model is part of the dogfight duel boxing , the other kit being the bf109e . 

ps: I painted the camo freehand as I didn't feel like masking and spraying ; the weathering was done with airbrush only laying down different tones of the base paint .

Spitfire

SpitfireSpitfireSpitfire

Regards ,
Basuroy

Edited by Basuroy
  • Like 30

12 minutes ago, JackG said:

Looks good, just wondering why the edges of the camouflage would not weather.    :think:

regards,

Jack

Haha I wondered the same myself when weathering it but as I justified it to self , the intention isn't so much to replicate what would happen in real life but to create some contrast to break the monotony . A larger scale will allow me the freedom to weather it more uniformly but at this size , I just stay within panels/camo demarcation  . Cheers :) 

I have a bit of a thing for Spitfires, and the Airfix MkI in particular, and yours is very nice. Mind you, in my experience, things don't really get 'sun bleached', even at the height of the British summer...:D

X4586 first flew on 29th September 1940 so I think it would have had underwing roundels as they were introduced from 11th August 1940. However, I can't find a photograph to confirm this.

This is always worth a read, if you want to know about Spitfire markings: http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

• Like 4

Very nice!

I kind of like the undercarriage legs moulded onto the doors because of laziness, but they're not quite as crisp as separate parts, I agree. Underwing roundels were not carried between 6th June and 11th August 1940.

John.

Edited by johnd
Clarify which roundels weren't carried.
  • Like 2

I think that is a really fine job of painting and weathering you have done there.

There are so many criteria out there for what looks "right".

I hope my Airfix Spitfire ends up that good when I get to building it.

Michael

Nice build.

12 hours ago, Basuroy said:

..... the landing gear legs are molded with the doors and I am not sure what purpose this serves ....

A few possibilities.

1. The moulds for this kit are (at least in part) based on an older kit.  I seem to remember one piece undercarriage legs being the norm on the 1/72nd kits I made in the 1970s.
  2. A design decision to reduce the fragility of the legs and reduce requests for replacement parts.
  3. A design decision made assuming a target market of fumble fingered 10 year olds.  I know, I was that fumble fingered 10yo. :) 
  4. To keep production costs below whatever Airfix (Hornby) decided was the optimum product cost of this kit.
  5. Two or  more of the above.

No idea if any of the above include the real reason, but they seem like logical candidates to me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kapam said:

Wow!  That looks awesome!

Your first with an airbrush?

Looks like you've been doing it for years!

:goodjob:

Thanks :) ; it is my first spitfire after I got an airbrush , not my first airbrushed model (I have built close to 50 models since I got an airbrush and it struck me I still didn't have a model of this iconic airplane ).