Takom FV432

23 hours ago, Wagtail said:

Hi Steve

You're right about the stowage boxes and there's a long chieftain one included in the kit for mounting above the exhaust if you want. You'll absolutely love the kit. It's great doing a build that you have a personal connection to. Last year I managed to finally find a 1/35 scale FH-70 which was the first gun I worked on and it takes pride of place in my collection so good luck with yours.

You're lucky being able to drive one regularly!!!!!!!!!! I never had the pleasure of the 432 but used to crew a Sultan for a short while and absolutely loved it

Best wishes WT  

I help out at a company near Winchester that offers tank driving experience days , plenty of time to have a mooch about the kit :-) 

@Badder you were lucky the fox didn't kill you. Those things are/were so dangerous. I was Fortunate enough to go for a spin in one last year and they feel so top heavy! (We have one of those too although it's statistic now) 

sorry to highjack the thread! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steve_farrier said:

I help out at a company near Winchester that offers tank driving experience days , plenty of time to have a mooch about the kit :-) 

@Badder you were lucky the fox didn't kill you. Those things are/were so dangerous. I was Fortunate enough to go for a spin in one last year and they feel so top heavy! (We have one of those too although it's statistic now) 

sorry to highjack the thread! 

Hi Steve,

Yes, when my father drove them they were new, very top heavy and they did roll over very easily. There were some fatalities when commanders/gunners were standing up on their seats when they rolled. When I drove them they had been redesigned and weren't so prone to rolling over. I once had to drive mine up a 300m  40 degree grass hill, and then had to reverse back down again. Even though the centre of gravity had been lowered greatly, it was still pretty scary when you are reversing blind on such a slope and relying totally on the commander!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

Great job, it looks spot on, just like the ones I see on my way to and from work that are waiting to cross the A345 at 'Charlie crossing ' just outside Durrington, on Salisbury Plain. The weathering is quite restrained as you sometimes see them almost totally covered in mud and dust!

Regards

Mick

• Like 1