Takom FV432

Just finished Takom's FV432. Great to finally see some British modern armour available other than tanks. It's a great kit which was a joy to build with an excellent instruction booklet with some good colour photos. The separate link tracks were a first for me but the jig supplied with the kit was brilliant and they are much easier to paint than the standard rubber types.

This was a number of firsts for me. My first outing with Hataka paints using their Modern British Army & RAF AFV paint set. In the past I've used Tamiya, Vallejo and AK colours on modern British vehicles, but without doubt they have to be the most accurate NATO green and NATO black I have seen by far. Also the first time masking with White Tac ( a big thank you to The Salisbury Model centre for that tip).

Also a first attempt at weathering with pigments and still some learning to do there but I tried to replicate a 432 on exercise somewhere in Salisbury plain, which for those who are familiar with being sent to play there will know, in summer everything gets a nice coat of dirty white chalk dust.

The Gimpy is the kit one (which is actually pretty spot on) with a Accurate Armour ammo box and belt and the cam net is one I had in the spares box with the addition of some oregano and chopped chives (don't tell the wife)

Still need to add ariels but I've got the time to post now so here it is, hope you like it?

WT

20171005_151424_zps3zopstme.jpg20171005_151730_zpsfozklofb.jpg20171005_151629_zpsaoihdgjq.jpg20171005_151603_zps7dxxjspd.jpg20171005_151532_zpsffmszahc.jpg

20171005_151516_zpsur3mgwrv.jpg

Edited by Wagtail
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Looks great - very convincing weathering.

Not being into AFV - what's the big shopping basket on the top for?

Hi Gorby

thanks for your comment. With regards to the big shopping basket, it's pretty much what you said a big shopping basket lol. It's a stowage basket for putting anything you can jam in to it, in!

1 minute ago, Kris B said:

Looks good, I really like the camouflage colours. 

Thanks Kris I used Hataka Modern British Army and RAF AFV colour set - by far the most convincing NATO green and black I've seen to date and they spray well too!

1 minute ago, Wagtail said:

Hi Gorby

thanks for your comment. With regards to the big shopping basket, it's pretty much what you said a big shopping basket lol. It's a stowage basket for putting anything you can jam in to it, in!

I'd love to drive that into Sainsburys car park - I don't think there is an 'manic evil grin' emoticon.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I'd love to drive that into Sainsburys car park - I don't think there is an 'manic evil grin' emoticon.

For around £10k you can, cheaper than a new family hatchback but eye watering to run lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wagtail said:

For around £10k you can, cheaper than a new family hatchback but eye watering to run lol

3 miles to the gallon on road and 1.7 or less off road with a 100 gallon fuel tank, just idling it drinks 14 pints per hour   :o best buy an IBRE to follow you around :wink:

• Like 1

Pretty friggin' impressive.  You have a start on pizza fixings in the basket too if you get the growlies.

So what if it's not a MBT, there's lots of them but not too many APCs around.  The paint job and weathering is amazing and the interior is pretty awesome.

Lloyd

• Like 1

So weird I was only looking for one of these on the forum yesterday and the. I went on a shopping episode... and found this takom kit now on my Christmas list. 

Im lucky enough to drive one of these regularly. 

Im sure there are many of you on the forum who have driven these in the past too. Despite being a box on tracks there was never enough storage on these veichles. I believe that stowage boxes from the chieften and later the scorpions were generally pinged and welded onto this above or to the side of the rear doors. 

Intersting i I believe takom advertise this as a Mk1/2 kit. However I though the MK2 had the NBC system mounted externally as a bulge  on the right hand side of the vehicle. 

I intend making one thats a replica of the one i drive. 

This is awesomely done model! Hats off to you @Wagtail 

• Like 1

Wonderful job and it brings some memories back,......especially that interior which you have totally smashed!! Looking forward to getting stuck into mine and will be happy if it turns out half as nice,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Steve_farrier said:

So weird I was only looking for one of these on the forum yesterday and the. I went on a shopping episode... and found this takom kit now on my Christmas list. 

Im lucky enough to drive one of these regularly. 

Im sure there are many of you on the forum who have driven these in the past too. Despite being a box on tracks there was never enough storage on these veichles. I believe that stowage boxes from the chieften and later the scorpions were generally pinged and welded onto this above or to the side of the rear doors. 

Intersting i I believe takom advertise this as a Mk1/2 kit. However I though the MK2 had the NBC system mounted externally as a bulge  on the right hand side of the vehicle. 

I intend making one thats a replica of the one i drive. 

This is awesomely done model! Hats off to you @Wagtail 

Hi Steve

You're right about the stowage boxes and there's a long chieftain one included in the kit for mounting above the exhaust if you want. You'll absolutely love the kit. It's great doing a build that you have a personal connection to. Last year I managed to finally find a 1/35 scale FH-70 which was the first gun I worked on and it takes pride of place in my collection so good luck with yours.

You're lucky being able to drive one regularly!!!!!!!!!! I never had the pleasure of the 432 but used to crew a Sultan for a short while and absolutely loved it

Best wishes WT  

Edited by Wagtail
  • Like 1

What a superb kit, and what a fantastic job you've done on it.. I love the camo net, the interior, and the weathering especially

I can smell and taste it and even if you hadn't mentioned Salisbury Plain, I could have guessed where it had been.

I had the good fortune to spend a few weekends driving a Fox armoured car around there 32 years ago after rain and you'd have thought my Fox had been whitewashed with winter camo! But I won't mention the time I drove across a field of hay at 30mph and hit a machine gun trench, almost going airborne and ending up beached with the front wheels in the trench and the rear wheels off the ground! Talk about embarrassing.... although I subsequently found out that my father had done exactly the same thing some years earlier!

Rearguards,

Badder

BTW, I hope that map (a great little detail) actually features the Plain?

Edited by Badder