Airfix 1/48 Hurricane

Hope you all had a good Christmas guys,

I'll post up some more images of the Hurricane(s) in due course. I've since started the second one. 

Seeing as these will be done up as different aircraft from 249 squadron during the Battle of Britain, I've got a question about the squadron decals that adorn the fuselage;

From what I have seen, the squadron codes are rather large and are a medium tone grey? I got some aftermarket decals of 48th scale RAF fighters in sky colouring and are 30" markings.

After applying the GN, it just doesn't look right. It looks too small and the sky colour doesn't look right either. 

Do I need to be searching for a larger size for these 249 squadron Hurricanes? Like 36" or 48" RAF Fighter codes? If so, where can you get them?

Totally thought I had got this sussed. Guess not..

19 minutes ago, ArtickWarspite said:

From what I have seen, the squadron codes are rather large and are a medium tone grey? I got some aftermarket decals of 48th scale RAF fighters in sky colouring and are 30" markings.

After applying the GN, it just doesn't look right. It looks too small and the sky colour doesn't look right either. 

Do I need to be searching for a larger size for these 249 squadron Hurricanes? Like 36" or 48" RAF Fighter codes? If so, where can you get them?

Sky codes came in Day Fighter Scheme,  August 41

see  http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

Squadron codes are a difficult subject,  to get them right you need a photo.    There was no 'font' so the generic sheets are frequently just not quite right.

Xtradecal do med Sea Grey codes in 24 and 30 inch.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48022

6897503193_bef8a337d4_z.jpg

these look to be 36 inch

see also

and

note the 249 Sq 'inherited' it's Hurricane from 56 Sq.

and

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/archive/index.php?t-31104.html

HTH

On 3/1/2018 at 14:54, delta7 said:

here is mine finished- used the tropical air filter and aftermarket decals to depict a Malta Hurricane. I found this kit a joy with no issues in fit , just was careful in test fitting.

IMG_3128.jpg

All tropical  Mk.I's used the De Havilland prop,  which had metal blades, as seen in the photo below

the Rotol unit has compressed wood blades

confused?  see here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

I've seen a couple of builds where the DH blades have been fitted onto the Rotol spinner too :fraidnot: 

0758b7217126bbe13799a50db335aaa0.jpg

a couple of other points.  you did the canopy frames in Dark Earth,  and the wing roundels are too far forward on the wing (see the linked camouflage monograph above)  for a camo and markings diagram.

HTH

16 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Sky codes came in Day Fighter Scheme,  August 41

see  http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

Squadron codes are a difficult subject,  to get them right you need a photo.    There was no 'font' so the generic sheets are frequently just not quite right.

Xtradecal do med Sea Grey codes in 24 and 30 inch.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48022

6897503193_bef8a337d4_z.jpg

these look to be 36 inch

see also

and

note the 249 Sq 'inherited' it's Hurricane from 56 Sq.

and

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/archive/index.php?t-31104.html

HTH

Thanks Troy,

Yeah I think I have read through those threads before. I know which two squadron codes I need (GN-H & GN-L). 

All the photographic reference suggests that these 249 squadron aircraft during Sept 1940 (after they had been repainted from the 56 squadron ones), appeared to be in at least a 36" letter size. From what I can find online, there appear to only be 30", 36" & 48" lettering?

If the 30" lettering on a 48th scale aircraft is too small in this case, would a 36" be more accurate? After measuring the set I brought which were 30" ones, and measuring the ones that came with the kit, the difference in size should be about 3mm.

So that begs the question where can I get 36" grey early war RAF fighter decals?

• 8 months later...

So after working on other projects for pretty much the whole year, I've taken a small break from the Airfix 1/600 HMS King George V and the everlasting challenge that is 1/600 Photo Etch, and have picked up this Hurricane project from ages ago.

(Not sure why the previous images I posted on this thread are gone when they were posted online on a page I run)

This is the first of two Hurricane's on this project based on 249Sqn Hurricane's during the Battle of Britain. If you scroll back you will see this particular kit was an absolute pig to me. What looks top be a molding issue has ensured this has taken way longer than it should have. Plus on top I had to source the correct decals which also took time.

So here is where it's at currently. I made a noob error in applying the decals to one side (hurriedly slapped them on to use for a painting reference here):

By slapping on these aftermarket decals, I left them over the weekend and then saw they had silvered significantly. I've not made the same mistake on the other side of the fuselage, but it'll take some work to get rid of. Once done, it'll be glossed, weathered, small bits installed & photographed!

Then onto the next one which is only 25% completed...

42446444_1496171033816529_89150296431158

Finally finished one. After the molding issue right at the start at the wing root it feels quite satisfying to get there.

I was hoping that the trouble I experienced with this kit would be a one off, and that the next kit would play nicer, but it still has fit issues. Thankfully not nearly as bad as the first Hurricane, but it did end up with the firewall being removed as the fuselage wouldn't fit over the cockpit at all. (And yes after last time I was exceptionally careful with the installation of the cockpit & surrounding areas).

Ultimately I think it's a novel kit design doing it this way, but too much can go wrong with even the slightest imperfection in the molding.

Anyway, one down, one to go.

43079519_1507373569362942_36961414592803

43099079_1507373502696282_44440972148762

42956006_1507373622696270_43715753219886

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...