Blues and Royals

FredG

Some time ago I decided to take eight figures from the Revell set 2578 British Life Guards and paint them as Blues and Royals.The horses selected from the set had a lot of extra plastic moulded on so they all had to be recarved, an annoying necessity. They were primed (brushed on black) them given a chocolate brown coat and then inked over black. This gave a very dark brown finish to further play with. I painted the sheepskin a sheepy colour and tried to give some semblance of a shabraque but failed miserably. At this point I just happened to fall upon the information that the Italeri set 6080 French Light Cavalry had the problem of too many shabraques and not enough sheepskins.

I dug out a set of these from the stash and selected eight of the horses.. They looked ok to go, the Revell figures fit but the hiorses' tails were too long. I cropped one of the horse tails  ( Left) and reshaped the end and it looked reasonable so continued.

7rXa6YYcmwnRaezYFD4ui4AUkfV3aCkq-Vk7mh0M

They don't look too bad. Here's the comparison with a Revell horse

oK2YKDpzOBrMEv4O9EJOJg5VPDWBtBKeluz-3Jiw

The Revell horses now have a new home in an Italeri box and the Italeri horses are set to have Revell riders.

Primed

4tidR1g0khJsXJ8XJdXkQPt_03_PkjZPvfYMotTp

Now to get on with the riders.

Edited by FredG
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, FredG said:

That was only the primer Jim, they're chocolate brown at the moment :wink:

Sorry I really do need glasses updated,I read an article about painting small 28mm figures and this guy said it was best not to use black primer,reason was it took to much colour to cover the black,I use grey from a rattle can,what are your thoughts on this?,one more question have you ever built/painted Fire forge/ Teutonic Knights,have picked up some down here,and I have found out that there is a War/gamer group that meets close to my home,they meet on Sunday,will go and pick their brains Cheers.

I have a stash of 1/72 and 20mm Napoleonics that could keep me painting for the next 50 years Jim. I don't think MrsG would appreciate me wandering into another period and she would be right (of course).

On the primer, I have white and black brush on and the aerosols are white, light grey and mid grey. I just use the colour that is appropriate for the finish. The brush on I prefer for smaller numbers

• Thanks 1

The horses are ready for a wash and then the furniture painted up. They had black primer then chocolate brown and a diluted black ink so they're not a solid colour. The wash will dull the finish and enhance  detail.

V7fjpUpErtC-cmjm-CU9XgiAlEGG5DIrLVbmexDG

The figures are coming along. Most of the large areas are done and just need some fine touching up.

UNM6DnDd8nqHLxZxtpi6FQxzMtGKVfYCca6e9TFQ

I had a little fun with the scalpel. While removing the Troopers' plumes, I somehow managed to remove the Officer's plume and left one on a Trooper. Out came the Bosch screw driver and 0.6mm drill, his plume is now stainless steel wire coated in PVA. I then conspired to remove the plume left on the Trooper and removed the front of the helmet too. Superglue gel to the rescue and a final trim ( carefully this time).

iT1NhDWQ_v6BfaF_R8maJVYAO707J5oPYTRAwMof

Still a lot to do.

• Like 2

Work has progressed although it's not that easy to see a lot of it in the photo. All the leather work of the horses' tack is painted. As the horses are a very dark brown I used greyblack for this. Still the metal parts to add. Hooves and eyes are painted and I've started on the shabraques.

3C-VNbuXWsaEgX27m-lAfW-qsdaGZELWlMVHzxyJ

The horses are not as glossy as they seem in the photo either.

The figures are coming on. There's still a bit of work to do on these and to be honest I'm not 100% happy with them looking through the magnifier. With naked eyes they'll pass B)

Zv-4x6ifZXaoPjL_Vv2w74H-R_GA6Nh2teBP8PzO

• 3 weeks later...