RAF/RN Wessex armament?

RMP2

Hello again. Im back with another awkward question. :)

Does anyone have photographs of British Wessex helicopters armed with the AS.12 missile/s or Navy versions with torpedo's?

I ask as I have a 1/48 Italeri HU.5 on its way to me, so started looking around for an interesting RAFG or RN particular aircraft to model and stumbled across mentions of ordnance on them, including 2" rocket pods....

I hadnt considered these options, was just looking for one to compliment my II(AC) Sqn jets or my RN shelf, but once I find interesting things I tend to get distracted from the simple, straightforward stuff. My usual Google searches havent come up with much other than what looks like some sort of Zuni type rocket pod which doesnt tickle me much.

Or would I be better off just concentrating on getting a folded tail and folded main blades right and realise thats enough trouble as it is? ;)

21 hours ago, XV107 said:

Flight, 1963

21 hours ago, XV107 said:

Flight, 1966

I wonder how the wee Brantley coped ? Probably stopped when the missile fired!

That's obviously a publicity shot of the Wessex. It could probably fly as far as the airfield fence with that lot.

I wasn't aware that the HU5 could launch a torpedo (apart from dropping it like a dumb bomb) but I suppose it could do so with a 'hunter' HAS 1 or 3.

On 5 October 2017 at 9:02 AM, XV107 said:

f4be221662bfe97ec828d1c2d439a149.jpg

(Photographer unknown - taken from Pinterest, but would be a Crown Copyright photo as clearly taken aboard a ship by a member of the RN)

At first glance it looks like 2 x AS.12 Missiles on the starboard side but on closer inspection it is actually a mix; an AS.12 on the outer pylon and a AS.11 on the inner!

Were the RAF Wessex ever armed beyond a GPMG in the cabin ?????

Good wind up when HMAS Melbourne's cat was sick. 

b6f77ba7d80f763e2cf3b39c9ec47c5b.jpg

• Like 4

RMP2, if you can (and you can, since Amazon has a couple available at a reasonable sum. And a couple which are not...), you might want to have a look at Patrick Allen, Wessex (Airlife, 1988), since that has a couple of photos of armed Wessexes therein.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

Were the RAF Wessex ever armed beyond a GPMG in the cabin ?????

I remember having to add the armor plating in the cockpit, and the GPMG was mounted in the cabin at that time. I seem to recall the Sqn flew a couple in this configuration for a very short period of time, but no idea what for.

Maybe we were just checking if they still fitted

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 06/10/2017 at 8:50 PM, XV107 said:

RMP2, if you can (and you can, since Amazon has a couple available at a reasonable sum. And a couple which are not...), you might want to have a look at Patrick Allen, Wessex (Airlife, 1988), since that has a couple of photos of armed Wessexes therein.

Cheers. I shall do just that. I love Amazon for the stupidly cheap World Air Power Journals that keep cropping up - eg 1p for the mag, £2.80 postage ;)
EDIT - ordered! Along with another WAPJ for £1.28+P&P :)

Damn those Gimpys, Im a Bren man!

Edited by RMP2
Joyous ordering of bound paper with print. :)

On 06/10/2017 at 8:50 PM, XV107 said:

Thanks again for this. The book arrived yesterday and it is indeed far more useful than Google. :thumbsup: