Spinning Props

Looks very effective - making my eyes go weird though. 

I know there are commercially available options, but good on you for doing it yourself - man after my own heart. Will be interesting to see it on a model.

• Like 1

I think you've done a fine job with those - they look good.

But as you asked for gentle critique...

I think the blades should be more blurred. At the moment they look like a photo of a prop taken with a very fast shutter speed, and a longer exposure would - to me - give a greater sense of movement. 

I do like them though :thumbsup:

I was thinking about this last night (sad or what). Probably because if I did models in flight then it's just the sort of thing that I would experiment with. The problem comes when you cut them out – not so easy to make it believable, unless you do what @shortCummins suggests and print them on acetate. It that your intention?

Hello Docipaul,

I would advice you to put these on the market.

Could use some for my Orion/Atlantic/C-27J Spartan. (1/72 scale)

I will buy them off you.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

Looks good, but is it a different image to the ones at the start of the post? Not sure how to explain what I mean but the trailing edge of the prop blade looks too clearly defined in my opinion. It looks to me like it has an sort of crenellated shape, although it may just be the photo. Personally, I also think the blade tip colour also looks too opaque.

I don't want to cause offence - but in my opinion the first photos in your post look more like a spinning prop to me, in fact they look better than the commercially available 'spinning' props. It would be interesting to hear what others think.

I think you could do a stronger radial blur to give the impression of the prop spinning faster, like this:

HnxzUHO.png

I would also suggest investigating giclée printing for a better print quality - the halftone pattern is quite noticeable in the photos. If you use a giclée printer you won't get the halftone dot effect.

Edited by AndrewF
added image
  • Like 2

I think a problem with the second batch of images is that the coloured prop tips are much longer than the blades, so they look less realistic - the first photos you posted were better, as the blades and their tips were blurred to the same length. And I'm with Gorby that the 'crenellated' effect is a bit strange. Was the idea to create 'speed lines ' to give an effect of movement? If so, I think it's too stylised, it looks more like the etched Propblur products... 

vu1aCj5.png