Hasegawa 1/72 Republic F-105 Thunderchief

For a change from my more recent space and airliner builds, I thought I'd return to a theme I haven't tackled for over 30 years i.e. The Vietnam War.
I've started watching the new PBS Ken Burns documentary and it's inspired me to tackle a subject related to that sad and sorry conflict.

One of the aircraft closely associated with the Vietnam War is the Republic F-105 Thunderchief. It was used extensively during the conflict as a fighter bomber and quite a few were lost. However, being from the Republic stable, they were tough birds and many made it home despite substantial damage

The kit is one I've had in the stash since the mid 80s I think so it's about time it was tackled. Although it is from Hasegawa, it is one of their earlier kits and dates from 1966. It therefore lacks a lot of the finesse we normally associate with more modern Hasegawa kits. It also features raised panel lines - although the rivet detail is recessed.

As you can see from the pictures below, there are not that many parts. You can also see that I did, at one point, make a start on painting the pilot figure, who comes integrally moulded with his seat. That certainly gives the kit's age away. I am minded to drop the pilot (apologies to any Joan Armatrading fans) and fabricate a seat out of plastic card.

It will be painted in the USAF South East Asia camouflage scheme similar to that on the rather nice box art - although I plan to use some old Modeldecal sheet which depicts an F-105 that was actually based in South East Asia during the conflict. The kit decals are for a post Vietnam War aircraft

5uHIgspp.jpg

8zJb9RYP.jpg

svxOXxEq.jpg

• Like 8

Good luck with this kit, I remember building it decades ago. These golden oldies can be built up into credible models but require a lot of care and attention (not to mention putty, haha).

i recently completed Trumpeter's Thud in 1/72, and amassed a good amount of reference material, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. 

Edited by billn53

Thanks for the offer. of information. I've got a very early (1974) edition of the Squadron Signal "Thunderchief in Action" book as well as their "Century Series". I bought these on an aviation themed holiday to Texas back in 1981.

Good luck with this one. I love the Thud and have been fortunate to have been up very close to many in the past.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

I have this in the stash,I think its a little undersize for a D model,but the general shape (especially around the nose area) Is close to a B model.My intension at some point is a fill and  re scribe back to that type.

It's worth having a look at the Detail & Scale, there's an appraisal of the kit on Page 64. It seems it was the Monogram 'Thud' (that is, the original one - I believe there was a more recent Monogram 1/72 F-105 that was a scaled down version of their 1/48 kit) that is actually a 'B' but was sold as a 'D'.

I remember building this years ago, sticks out as the one Hasegawa kit that was worse to build and than the Airfix offering of a similar type! 

However it is over 50 years old now and was even released by Frog.  I think from the start that it was always a D, though there were Thunderbird boxings of the kit.

It does look good when finished though.

Edited by 71chally

The after market bits arrived in today's post. I've bought a metal replacement nose pitot/probe, replacement wheels and a resin cockpit set. Hopefully, these will help enhance the finished model.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

Well I have same kit but if you wanted to do a SEA aircraft note that those camouflaged after they were upgrades most noticeable feature is a couple of additional air flow vents at each side of engine bay, but for other part kit perfect for a metal aluminum painted plane

Best day

Armando