One last Firebrand question

pat d

If you good folk will indulge me with a final (?) Firebrand question. For the TSS of EDSG/DSG/Sky  can some kind soul tell me the sizes for the C type roundels on the upper and lower wing and the type C 1 roundel size for the fuselage? I assume the "Royal Navy" codes were 6'' high on the rear fuselage. I looked all through the "Warpaint" book but could not find roundel sizes.  The a/c I am trying to model was a Mk IV converted to a Mk V seen in Oct. 1946 Thanks again for all your help!

Best, Pat D

don't know about the upper wing, but the fuselage and underwing 36 inch C1 and 32 inch C types (these were standard sizes)

the "formula" for upperwing were the roundels centres were at 1/3 of wingspan in from tip, and a 2 inch gap between leading edge and control surfaces, that gap can be seen here

blackburn-firebrand.jpg

I'd suggest measuring the model and see what size you get to check

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

the "formula" for upperwing were the roundels centres were at 1/3 of wingspan in from tip, and a 2 inch gap between leading edge and control surfaces,

I don't think I knew that.  Is 1/3 of wingspan measured tip to centreline or tip to wingroot, please?

If you know the diameter of the fuselage roundel is 36 inches in the photo, you could then measure the upper wing roundel and calculate its diameter. I have the CMR Firebrand resin kit- when I get a chance, I will pull it out and measure the roundels for you. In the meantime, I have attached a link to a great source of information on all the roundel types, along with some excellent color photos; no sizes are given, but it is still a very useful modeling reference! Will edit this post with the Firebrand roundel diameters when I get them.

Mike

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/382/Roundel-Round-Up.aspx

This just in! The C-type upper wing roundels in the CMR kit as well as the 1/72 drawings in the Warpaint monograph show the diameter of the roundels as being 54 inches. Hope this helps!

Edited by 72modeler
added additional information
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all! The service here is as good as Downton Abby :smile:. Seahawk, I measured the upper wing and get a roundel size of 47-48".  72modeler, thanks for the link and I am appreciative of your checking the roundel sizes in the CMR kit. I am working with the Aki kit and am not sure about the roundel sizes they give, plus the roundels are not the correct type for the scheme I am doing. I will order the correct types/sizes from Hannants

All is appreciated,

Pat D

33 minutes ago, pat d said:

Thank you all! The service here is as good as Downton Abby :smile:. Seahawk, I measured the upper wing and get a roundel size of 47-48".  72modeler, thanks for the link and I am appreciative of your checking the roundel sizes in the CMR kit. I am working with the Aki kit and am not sure about the roundel sizes they give, plus the roundels are not the correct type for the scheme I am doing. I will order the correct types/sizes from Hannants

All is appreciated,

Pat D

Pat,

Not sure which Firebrand scheme you wanted the roundel diameters for. The sizes I quoted you from the Warpaint and CMR sources were for the TSS 3-color scheme with C-type upper wing, C1 type fuselage, and C-type lower wing, with the diameters being 54", 36", and 32" respectively. If you mean the later two-color scheme, type A roundels were used at all six positions and were 36" in diameter for all six. Hope this doesn't muddy the waters. BTW, the A-type roundels in the CMR kit are all 36" in diameter.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling- added new information
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Seahawk said:

I don't think I knew that.  Is 1/3 of wingspan measured tip to centreline or tip to wingroot, please?

AFAIK, the centreline

for example, 

Hurricane,  wingspan 40 ft,  x 12 = 480 inches  /2 = 240 (ie centreline) 240 /3 = 80 inch 

note distance from tip to centre of roundel, top left of plan view.

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

This also explains the differing size  of upperwing roundels,   as opposed to the standard sizes of fuselage and underwing roundels.

HTH

Surely the later Firebrands did not have Type A roundels but Type D?  The prewar Type A have a proportionally smaller red centre: the diameter of the respective colours are in the ratio 1:3:5 (as shown in the diagram immediately above), whereas the postwar Type D had ratios 1:2:3.

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Surely the later Firebrands did not have Type A roundels but Type D?  The prewar Type A have a proportionally smaller red centre: the diameter of the respective colours are in the ratio 1:3:5 (as shown in the diagram immediately above), whereas the postwar Type D had ratios 1:2:3.

You are so right, Graham! I was in such a hurry to get what pat d needed, that I listed the wrong roundel type. Yep, postwar Firebrands had type D roundels in all six positions. Pat- if you're reading this, please note the correction! Thanks for setting me straight, Graham; it's always wise to have somebody proof or re-read what you have written before sending it out- a procedure I always used when I was a school administrator. I appreciate the  comments and knowledge on every topic I read that you have posted.

Mike

Got it! Thanks again for all the help gentlemen. As an aside totally off this topic, I hope the success of Airfix's new Walrus might encourage them to do a 1/48 Barracuda, another machine that IMO has been under represented.

• 2 weeks later...

OOPS! One last question ( I know you have heard that before...) Looking at B&W photos it seems there are 3 possible colors for the gear legs, aluminum, Sky or possibly a primer color. Maybe it is just the photo reproduction but I was going to go with aluminum but there seem to be other options that do not look like aluminum to me. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Pat D