NA39 'Just like the real thing'

BLACKBURN NA39

Holme on Spalding Moor, 1959

NA39 003

Nostalgia or what? I think I was about 11 or 12 when I first build one of these, having saved my pocket money to find the substantial sum of 4/6 before going into the local Woolies to buy one after school with great excitement.

advert NA39

This one was built about 7 or 8 years ago but recently came out for dusting and a photo session.

I kept most of the original working features apart from the silly retractable nosewheel (with fixed doors and fixed main gear!) In fact the undercarriage on this one is from the later Airfix Buccaneer S.2 kit. I went a step further and added working airbrakes – Airfix chickened out on this in their kit, presumably because of the complexity. I based the working airbrakes on an article in an old Scale Models magazine which I had intended to scan and post here, but I couldn’t find it!

The folding wings lasted a bit longer this time around – back in the early 60s they suffered from too many carrier landings on the HMS Dining Room Table and needed repair after a day or two.

Anyway it was enjoyable to build something with a bit of artistic licence for a change rather than bothering about scale and accuracy.

NA39 002

NA39 005

NA39 007

NA39 009

NA39 013

NA39 015

NA39 016

NA39 017

NA39 018

Chris

• Like 37
  • Thanks 3

Giving me ideas with the air brake.... Well done!

If you do find that article, please post? Will appreaciate it much. I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to moving parts on models ^_^

R

Good job you made with this Buccaneer !

I think we are about the same age, because I can remember having built this kit

with my Dad in the early sixties. I was ten or eleven years old.

I can remember as it was yesterday that the nose cone had to be painted "gold".

The blast of the past ...Nostalgia.

A super job on that Chris, it certainly took me back a decade or 4, this being an early one of mine too. Thanks to a loving Mum, I still have mine tucked away in my "to be restored" box. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

On 03/10/2017 at 12:07 PM, Rizon said:

Giving me ideas with the air brake.... Well done!

If you do find that article, please post? Will appreaciate it much. I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to moving parts on models ^_^

R

Yes I intend to post up the article when (if?) I find it.

16 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

Hello John - XK486 was blue and white but I reckon the rest of the prototypes were EDSG and white - at least I'm hoping XK491 was!

I'm sure you are right. It was just that I always thought of the NA39 as the first one - the rest were Buccaneers to me. At what stage did it acquire that name?

I love the story that when they were searching for a suitable name someone suggested 'ARNA' standing for 'A Royal Navy Aeroplane' which meant it would be the Blackburn ARNA.

John

6 hours ago, John R said:

I'm sure you are right. It was just that I always thought of the NA39 as the first one - the rest were Buccaneers to me. At what stage did it acquire that name?

I love the story that when they were searching for a suitable name someone suggested 'ARNA' standing for 'A Royal Navy Aeroplane' which meant it would be the Blackburn ARNA.

John

And hence when the first production aircraft were painted they became white black burnarnas !

According to this excellent website the first two were painted roundel blue and white, the rest being EDSG and white.

http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Buccaneer_Index.html

XK489 (the 4th NA39) had 'Buccaneer' inscribed on it's nose at the Farnborough show so about then I guess.

Chris

A beautiful build of a real memory jerker.  

Buried somewhere in my loft I have one of these , built in a similar style. I went for a heretical Gloss Dark Blue and Copper nose, as a nod to how I would have built it as a kid.

Thanks for the post.

Tony.