Zebra's Airfix Walrus - FINISHED

Thanks for the comment on the winch Zebra, it's very appreciated, especially after the lack of fun installing the cannon in the top turret of one of my Shackletons.  I really shouldn't try modelling at the end of a long day.

• Like 1

Great job z,  and a great kit,, i picked one of these up today (along with an amk  mig 31) on seeing yours going together,  and after having  look through the sprues tonight  I'm  most impressed,  airfix havs upped they're game to another  level,  the version on the box lid is my fave scheme, is that the one your doing?, I'll keep a close watch on yours now z,  

Glynn 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

At this rate she will be finished quicker than I can even examine the contents of the box! Great stuff!

Martian

Thanks Martian! Going to be slowing down a bit now though, will have a bit less time, probably back to more or less weekends only.

3 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Great job z,  and a great kit,, i picked one of these up today (along with an amk  mig 31) on seeing yours going together,  and after having  look through the sprues tonight  I'm  most impressed,  airfix havs upped they're game to another  level,  the version on the box lid is my fave scheme, is that the one your doing?, I'll keep a close watch on yours now z,  

Glynn 

Thanks Glynn. It's a very nice kit and they really do seem to have upped their game.

This one will be similar to the one on the box - an ASR aircraft - but not the same one. It'll be in the markings of a 275 Sqn Walrus detached to RAF Andreas in the Isle of Man during 1943-44. It'll be in the temperate sea scheme like the one on the box, except the camouflage will extend all the way down the fuselage sides, and I'll have to bodge together the codes from the ones in th kit since there don't seem to be any aftermarket yellow RAF codes available.

• Like 1

Moved on to painting this weekend. I have a set of Eduard masks on their way to me from Hannants (along with some other stuff that didn't get used on this Walrus) which once upon a time would have been with me a week ago, but the speed of the mail these days is such that it's been 2 weeks and counting. This seems to be par for the course these days. So those masks will be used on Walrus No. 2.

Instead I masked the clear parts like we used to before Eduard masks were available, and it wasn't too bad. The canopy frames are very well defined, so I did it by sticking some masking tape over it, tracing the outlines of the frames with a pencil, transferring it to the cutting mat, and cutting masks from the outlines. Worked a treat and done in no time!

How much weathering to do is always a bit of a dilemma for me. I'm not all that good at it, so I'm generally inclined not to. But then it doesn't seem right not to weather this Walrus. So I gave it a coat of Alclad aluminium ready to do some chipping, did a bit of pre-shading, and have applied some salt ready to do some salt chipping on the top deck - I've seen photos showing Walruses looking like a lot of paint had come off the top deck, particularly just behind the cockpit, which makes sense considering how often people would have been clambering over it to refuel and to get to the engine.

First coat of paint is on - Mr Paint dark slate grey. First time using Mr Paint, quite impressed with it. You can't see it very well in the photo but the pre-shading has worked quite well - it can often be over-done, but I'm pretty happy with this.

Walrus WIP

I've also put the engine together and started on the ordnance - I'm planning to put some smoke bombs under the wings. ASR Walruses seem to have often had smoke bombs fitted when parked and they're visible in the one photo I have that shows the aircraft I'm building. The trouble is, as you can see in this photo, the small bombs in the kit look more like practice bombs than smoke bombs:

Walrus WIP

The smoke bombs were cylindrical with a blunt nose, with a tapered rear and stabilising fins not unlike these practice bombs. So I might try making them by cutting the rear end off the practice bombs and making the cylindrical part from plastic rod.

thanks for looking

Z

• Like 7

Looking very good Z. The work you done in the internal structure looked great. 

• Thanks 1

Of course the Eduard masks turned up in the first post after I'd done my own! Also the Xtradecals, which I wasn't waiting on for this build but do include the C type roundel I need for the lower wings. There are some nice options on the Xtradecal sheets - going to struggle to choose which one for Walrus no.2.

• Like 1

I've done some salt chipping on top of the fuselage - I saw a couple of photos showing quite a lot of wear and tear on top, which doesn't surprise me since you would have had to climb up there to get to the engine or to refuel. I'll also do a bit of chipping round the fuselage sides. I'm just not convinced I like the look of what I've done so far. Perhaps as it goes on and I do a little more weathering it'll grow on me.

I've not done much weathering before so I'm on a learning curve, but that's fine - I want to keep learning new things, and you don't learn without trying them out. Will also be rigging for the first time with this model.

On a much more positive note, I'm very happy with Mr Paint. It's not cheap here and I have to buy it online but it might have just become my first choice paint.

• Like 1

That is coming along nicely. I think from the shown photos, I tend to agree, the salt chipping is too large or regular. In scale terms you have a huge area that is totally devoid of paint and looks a unnaturally so. The effect you have is more akin to flaking on a large area, not unknown but not what you are after I don’t think? Chipping should be irregular and subdued. Maybe get a small sponge and dab into the paint and go over the areas to reduce or mute the effect? Sort of like dry brushing?

Just my 2 cents. 

Kind regards,

On 10/25/2017 at 8:14 AM, Kahunaminor said:

That is coming along nicely. I think from the shown photos, I tend to agree, the salt chipping is too large or regular. In scale terms you have a huge area that is totally devoid of paint and looks a unnaturally so. The effect you have is more akin to flaking on a large area, not unknown but not what you are after I don’t think? Chipping should be irregular and subdued. Maybe get a small sponge and dab into the paint and go over the areas to reduce or mute the effect? Sort of like dry brushing?

Just my 2 cents. 

Kind regards,

Thanks - I think I'll give that a go

Last weekend I tried the method Kahunaminor suggested - it's improved the chipping situation, although it looks better from a distance!

I've made a start on the decals today - most of the decals on the fuselage are done (just need to do the serial on the starboard side), roundels on the wings, no stencils done yet - these are walkways on the lower wings and walkways denoted as boot prints on the upper wings. So should get them done tomorrow.

The yellow codes are made up from the codes for the RAF option in the kit, cut up and rearranged - PV-W started out as AQ-M! Its a good thing I've got 2 kits as I needed both kits' decal sheets for this. Quite happy with how they've worked out.

4 day weekend this weekend, and I'm trying to get this finished. May or may not get it done. Tomorrow I'll finish the decals, hopefully get a bit more weathering and a matt coat on. Then it's rigging, final assembly, and a few detail bits to do.

Walrus WIP

• Like 5

I tend to use a different process for chipping.  I use a Halfords rattle can and spray the airframe silver and allow to harden (I frequently do this whilst the model ID on the sprue).  I then spray the camouflage on in the normal way over the aluminium.  I use either Tamiya (easy the get around here) or Xtracrylics ( which I prefer but have to order in) both of which seem to be softer than the Halfords aluminium.

Leave it all for at least 24hrs.  Do some other light weathering, then when I want to do the chipping I use a cocktail stick or sometimes a needle to scratch away the top coat just where I want it, leaving the aluminium visible.  

If it was an American built FAA aircraft I would have put the primer colour over the aluminium.  I then use a Halfords polishing pad to wear though the camouflage showing the primer then scratch through the primer to the aluminium.  

Do a bit more weathering - remember some chips happened long ago and get weathering on top, some are more recent and the chip will be fresh..

Spray of varnish over the top and Robert is your Mothers brother..

• Like 2

Wings on and rigged! First time I've rigged a biplane. Also the first time I've assembled a biplane in a very long time - I think I probably stopped about the time I realised biplanes needed rigging, which would have put me off back then. Since then I've thought about building biplanes from time to time and went as far as buying some thread from Aeroclub the last time I was at Telford (2010 I think). This is the first time I've got around to trying it. It was fiddly, a few strands really didn't want to stick or stay stuck, but I learned as I went and it did seem to get easier. Feels like a bit of an achievement! Not necessarily going to seek out opportunities for more rigging, but won't be put off by it in future.

Should get the floats on and rigged tomorrow. There are a few other bits to do - radio aerials, fitting the guns, smoke bombs and so on - and I'll get as much as I can done tomorrow but probably won't get it finished. After that there's no modelling for a couple of weeks as I'm off to the UK for a conference on Friday.

Walrus - rigged!

Walrus - rigged!

• Like 8