Revell 1:400 Titanic

Finally, after 4 1/2 months of joy, pain, money, hair pulling and rows with she who must be obeyed I have finally finished my first model!  Pretty happy with how this turned out.  More than a few errors but nothing that stands out unless your nose is touching plastic!  The kit was ok but nothing special.  Lots of flash and quite a few badly fitting parts as well as accuracy issues but not an absolute dog either.

Few scratchbuilt parts including the masts, additional and revised rigging, extra detailing on the forecastle deck and bridge.  Hopefully i've addressed a few of the accuracy issues but many remain.  Still, it looks a lot like the Titanic.  And i'm glad of that because the ship was a beauty!

The WIP: 

Some pictures of the model...

36761819824_f6b911b60a_b.jpg
Generated from my Apple iPad using tools.rackonly.com

37470890431_d1f980088a_z.jpg

23619145888_d2f96c7104_z.jpg

37213437920_b4ef9ba286_z.jpg

36761811824_aebb947b72_z.jpg

23619147138_0f7c060164_z.jpg

36791881973_8ff75a406c_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

37204267950_b2b1137c11_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

37461676011_f64c5b167e_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

36791893833_2077e6e9bc_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

23610185168_3e98aef902_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

36752474884_081035107d_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

23610194428_1f70e269b9_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

23610181808_007e8b9ccd_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

37204272170_7d4bb93719_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

23610185008_dab42801d0_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

37430724072_acd7ee2999_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

37414265356_ea71a422ec_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

36791892013_0192f5d7ae_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

37430710292_8cfb9ea0dd_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

37430708862_6ff8d08442_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

37414250306_630a6d4183_b.jpgFinished Titanic by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

Time for a break and then it's onto some aircraft...

Edited by BluesModeller
Additional Photos
  • Like 18

Thanks guys!

Have to. Onfess this is my second attempt at this ship.  The first was back in the nineties (probably the same kit) when I was a teen.  Didn’t have a clue, didn’t have the tools.  I did have a bin, which is where it ended up.  Think I got as far as making up the cranes and funnels.  Not sure what made me give up... May have broke something or realised what was involved.

I did buy a Revell 1/450 747 to try building skills on such as using spray cans, filling, etc...  It’s sat in a sorry state in a drawer.

So this is the third model i’ve started but the first to be finished.  It’s given me the confidence to crack on with the other builds in my sig.  Not too worried about the Airbus planes as that’s mostly going to be spray and which I think I have the hang of.  The Queen Mary 2 will have photo etch and i’d like to use an airbrush for a smoother, more modern finish.

More skills to learn and more expense,  But I don’t intend to pack it in now I know I can get to the finish line.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice job, the build looks great and the rigging sets it off nicely :thumbsup:

Thanks R.A.Y. :)

I was dreading the rigging but it wasn’t too bad except the Marconi wires up top which took a few attempts over the weekend.

Glad I had some reading glasses (doing the model made me realise my eyesight is no longer that of a 20 year old) to do the grey rigging.  Not sure what diameter it was but my hair looks thicker!  The black thread was great to work with.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Really nice result. It's about 45 years since I even attempted a ship model, but seeing this is inspirational! I am intrigued by the prospect of doing this as a 'what if', in a hospital ship livery.

Well done sir.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, clive_t said:

Really nice result. It's about 45 years since I even attempted a ship model, but seeing this is inspirational! I am intrigued by the prospect of doing this as a 'what if', in a hospital ship livery.

Well done sir.

Thanks Clive!

I’d love to see the Titanic in hospital livery.  Also love the ‘dazzle’ scheme as a troop ship.  You’re sorely tempting me to buy another kit to do a conversion.  I’d love to have all 3 sisters on display at some point in their various guises through the years, although i’d have to stick with the Revell kit.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BluesModeller said:

Thanks Clive!

I’d love to see the Titanic in hospital livery.  Also love the ‘dazzle’ scheme as a troop ship.  You’re sorely tempting me to buy another kit to do a conversion.  I’d love to have all 3 sisters on display at some point in their various guises through the years, although i’d have to stick with the Revell kit.

Troop ship is also a good prospect. 

The problem I have, which has only just occurred to me, is that at 1:400 it's too big for my display cabinet :(

No worries, I'll just have to look into a smaller scale kit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clive_t said:

Troop ship is also a good prospect. 

The problem I have, which has only just occurred to me, is that at 1:400 it's too big for my display cabinet :(

No worries, I'll just have to look into a smaller scale kit.

I need to get some kind of cabinet... My Titanic is currently sat under some shelves... No icebergs, but a stack of DVD’s may sink it if i’m not careful. I need to measure my Queen Mary 2 and make sure whatever I get fits that, which I think is close to a metre in length.

Was going to get display cases for each model but that would work out pretty expensive over time.

1 hour ago, BluesModeller said:

I need to get some kind of cabinet... My Titanic is currently sat under some shelves... No icebergs, but a stack of DVD’s may sink it if i’m not careful. I need to measure my Queen Mary 2 and make sure whatever I get fits that, which I think is close to a metre in length.

Was going to get display cases for each model but that would work out pretty expensive over time.

I had the same problem looking for a display case for my 1/350 Warspite, and found cases in that scale to be very expensive indeed. Then I found these guys. The price is very competetive as the cases ship disassembled. I guess the looks don't please everyone, but I like mine.

Edited by Overpin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BluesModeller said:

... No icebergs, but a stack of DVD’s may sink it if i’m not careful.

Now that would be a disaster movie :D

Here all week folks... Shame it's only Monday!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Overpin said:

I had the same problem looking for a display case for my 1/350 Warspite, and found cases in that scale to be very expensive indeed. Then I found these guys. The price is very competetive as the cases ship disassembled. I guess the looks don't please everyone, but I like mine.

Thanks overpin, those prices are pretty good.  I don’t mind the look of them, particularly given the reasonable cost.  May still get a cabinet for my ships but get a case for my aircraft (which wouldn’t fit in a cabinet) from the shop you linked to.