This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

I watched the first episode of the above drama on Sunday night and within 1 minute was hooked.

The first scene at a hot and humid airstrip showed people disembarking a BOAC VC10, beautiful, then almost immediately a background shot with a line of lovely, shiny EE Lightnings. But it did not end there....the camera went vertical and a Vulcan overflew showing it's white underside.

Made my weekend and made a comment of this to my good lady who just rolled her eye's.

I hope to see more shots like this as the drama develops.

I just watched it,am hooked,am really looking forward to seeing the rest of the series, I just hope they dont cancel it,they have a habit of doing that to programs I like.

Did my eyes deceive me or did the VC10 have an air refuelling probe on the nose cone as per the RAF version? And we're Lightnings ever stationed in Aden - although I suppose it could have been a visiting squadron.

John

22 hours ago, jaw said:

Did my eyes deceive me or did the VC10 have an air refuelling probe on the nose cone as per the RAF version?

I spotted that as well.  Ans no. Vulcan was XH558, the final Vulcan - flying til 2015.  Can't quite date this prog. - 'cos I think the Vc10 livery was too recent.

It’s supposed to be set around 1965-ish I think 

Pretty sure they should have Brownings instead of Webleys/Enfields. 

My Dad was in Aden with the RAF. Said it was a xxxxhole.

Sunday night's was a bit iffy. A Corporal calls a sargeant  "sarge". Nope. It's "Sarn't". The Americans and the police may use "sarge" but the British  Army doesn't.

All the Sterling's had folded stocks, the belt on the Gimpy  kept changing length due to continuity and the tactics seemed off - no air support and "radio silence".

And an experienced sargeant shouldn't be getting blisters.

And why is Baxter senior? Where are the Staff Sargeant? Why are there no Warrant Officers, and why are they hunting terrorists when they should be down on the main drag picking up drunken squadies  or directing traffic?

7 hours ago, John_W said:

and why are they hunting terrorists when they should be down on the main drag picking up drunken squadies  or directing traffic?

:D  

that made proper belly laugh. 

Any monkeys on here?  

On 08/10/2017 at 9:16 AM, John_W said:

Pretty sure they should have Brownings instead of Webleys/Enfields. 

My Dad was in Aden with the RAF. Said it was a xxxxhole.

I spent two years in Yemen in 1999/2000.

Your dad was right.

Graham

Was chatting with a couple of ex-service types based in Aden in '65, they were horrified at the inaccuracies in the show.  I did point out that it is basically a 'soap', so don't hold your hopes too high anyway (and yes, I do hate all soaps with a vengeance!).