PK-110 HS.125-600

dude_gan_ainm

I'll be building the Hawker Siddeley 125-600 which I also built as a kid,that one I subsequently threw out the top window at home.Hopefully this one won't meet the same fate.

2017-10-02_15.35.21.jpg

Jimbob. ..

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
Postimage code change
  • Like 14

Cheers Arniec & John,also all the hearts - I feel the kove,the red plastic can be a problem alright.A friend told me to spray a  black basecolour over it as it will show through years later,I passed on the tip to a guy building a 125 on here recently & it worked a treat.

I made a start on this,I'm a pretty slow modeller so will be tipping away at it now & again.I filled in the panel lines on the fuselage with Mr. Surfacer,glued the poor fitting door,then used green stuff to fill it out a bit & finally a coat of Mr. Surfacer.The red colour plastic is still showing in the filler.I carved into the front of the rudder to give it a more realistic shape & done a little scribing on the rudder as well (more to do there).The trailing edge of the rudder & engine pylons were thinned down.I'll have to do a bit of scratchbuilding for the cockpit but won't go mad as not much will be seen.Added some liquid gravity in the radome with watered down white glue.

Here's where I am so far,

20171011_012234.jpg

Adios till next time,

Jimbob. ..

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
  • Like 11

Excellent start and subject choice Jimbob. 

I too have had at least two of these kits over time, however stupidly sold them off when my modelling preferences changed a while back - only to return again not long thereafter!

Good luck with the build. I'll be another fan watching the progress of this classic kit.

Cheers.. Dave   

Nice to see a start Jimbo, I have built one of these a few years ago which I sold to someone who wanted it more than me :D and I have another in the stash. It may make an appearance here.

How are the kit decals? Usable? Will you be doing one of the kit schemes?

Cheers lads,tis a rare kit to get hold of now like most Matchbox kits I'd say.

I'll do a little test on the decals later,I won't be using them so if you need them just ask - unless their past their use by date of course.I'll build it as an Irish Air Corps machine,if those decals are still ok,doesn't time just fly.

Jimbob. ...

Quick decal test done.Just warm water used & their fragile.You can see the bottom of the decal started to crumble as I pressed it on the kit to remove some water.I'm no decal expert but the glue has done it's job.

20171013_012619.jpg

Jimbob...

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
  • Like 3

The 125 build has stalled for a while.No power & no water since 11.30 yesterday due to Storm Ophelia passing by.I had another bit done but no photos taken so I'll update when we're back to something resembling normality.Enjoying seeing the other Matchbox builds going on.

Adios,

Jimbob. ...

30 minutes ago, dude_gan_ainm said:

The 125 build has stalled for a while.No power & no water since 11.30 yesterday due to Storm Ophelia passing by.I had another bit done but no photos taken so I'll update when we're back to something resembling normality.Enjoying seeing the other Matchbox builds going on.

Adios,

Jimbob. ...

That is no problem. As long as you are safe. That is the most important part.

Cheers,

Thanks Arniec,we got away lightly but 3 people died in the storm.We have power & water back now,still no power at work so got a little modelling time now.

Here's where the 125 is at the moment. Got a little done during & after Ophelia but you can't see much by torch & candle.2017-10-18_13.48.33.jpg

I glued in the fillet at the wing train edge/fuselage join (still needs tidying up),drilled for a light before the wing,cut out the wings & filled in panel lines & sink marks,main undercarriage doors,glazing (will need to thin remove the framing on the cockpit) & finally I removed the elevators.I'll scratch new elevators from card since I thought it would be easier than cutting into the Matchbox tailplanes.Cheers for looking,

Jimbob. ... .

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
  • Like 8

Glad to hear that you’ve gotten through safe, however that’s pretty awful news about the fatalities. Let’s hope that this figures does not rise anymore. 

Your 125 is coming along wonderfully well and the effort to improve this kit will be rewarded in the end, 

Cheers and stay safe.. Dave. 

Thanks Dave,alls well.Away from the bench at the moment as storm Brian rolls in so only have one photo on the phone from earlier today.I got the elevators done from 2mm sheet filed & sanded to shape.The photo shows the underside loosely fitted.

20171020_134918.jpg

I'll do something simular with the ailerons soon.The wings have a droop towards the tips & thinking back to my first Matchbox 125 - that also had the same droopy wings.I had a quick look at another 125 build on here & that also has the droop so I think it comes down to the sprue design.When the parts are cut from the sprue the wing parts will bend into this curve.I'm thinking of putting some brass rod into the wing to help straighten it out.If it works great,if not it's a waste of time.

Didn't do much else,just marked out where some details will go.Thanks for calling in,

Jimbob...

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
Forgot my name
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.I tried dipping the wings in warm water to help straighten them but was only a little successful so I tried fitting some brass rod in the wing.Not so good when I almost went through the wing with the power tool, but saved in time & the wing was sanded down smooth again.

20171024_211044.jpg

A little more detail on the tailplane. 

20171022_231349.jpg

Also on the tail & rudder. 

20171022_233406.jpg

I've got a little more done on the tailplane area but no photos yet & still have to straighten the wings.

Thanks for looking,

Jimbob. ... .

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
  • Like 9

Quick update.I cut out the ailerons & began making new ones from 2mm plastic sheet.

20171030_213737.jpg

I cut out a little too tight on the bottom one - no worries.Both will be sanded to shape.Cheers for looking in,

Jimbob. ...

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

not much done during the last few weeks with work,life & Telford.Not much to show so I added a little plastic sheet in two positions to make the aileron the correct size,then shaped (I'll get a finished photo tommorow).

20171102_091705.jpg

The landing lights in the wings were just a panel line so I tried to improve them.

2017-11-16_10.18.21.jpg

So I cut out the panel & thinnew the surrounding plastic inside the wing.Then cut some lengths of plastic strip & glued them to the inside protruding into the opened area.The idea is this will give a lip of plastic strip onto which the clear plastic light cover will be attached.If it works out - great.

2017-11-16_10.19.17.jpg

20171120_023439.jpg

Then the internal walls of the light fittings were built up & glued onto one half of each wing along with a scratched taxi light from clear sprue & a landing light from Little Cars 2mm clear lens.

20171120_213513.jpg

It looks a little rough but it will work out fine,painted with Vallejo white & a little beige where the white chipped off.

Little Cars 1mm clear lenses were glued into the holes drilled in the fuselage sides ahead of the wings & the hole was then filled with superglue (to be sanded back flat) to make the lights glass cover.Also the kit wingtip lights were cut off & clear plastic glued in their place to be sanded to shape.I used a clear plastic knife as the donor.

20171121_224309.jpg

Finally the tailplane bullet fairing got a bit of Milliput to extend & shape it & then a coat of Mr. Surfacer (still a bit to do).The hinge areas were built up a little & shaped with Mr. Surfacer as well.

2017-11-21_22.49.16.jpg

Hopefully it won't be as long for the next update,loving all the other builds going on.

Jimbob. .. ..

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
  • Like 9

Good to see you again - I was only going through the GB threads to see who we haven’t heard from in a while - and you were on the list. This 125 is taking shape nicely. Really like the extra work that your putting in to add to the overall accuracy. Should I ever be lucky enough to find this kit again?? I’ll revisit this WIP and see how you’ve massaged this hunk of plastic into place.  

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies lads.Their like hens teeth now Dave,I picked one up from a buddy a year or so ago so I'll use it to build a 125-700 one day.

Here's a photo of the ailerons as they are at the moment marked out for a little more detailing.I forgot I also thinned down the trailing edge of the flaps & took a skim off the top.The navigation lights have been blended into the tips with a file & a fine sanding stick.The lights in the side of the fuselage were also sanded flat with sanding sticks.

2017-11-22_23.02.29.jpg

Adios amigos,

Jimbob. ...

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
  • Like 6

Ok,here's my attempt at straightening the wings.I already cut a grouve on the inside of the wing and cut some brass tube & taped this onto the top wing section.

20171123_223925.jpg

Then added a little araldite epoxy glue.

20171123_224227.jpg

Covered that with a little cling film so it doesn't glue to the other half of the wing.

20171123_224407.jpg

Placed the other half of the wing on & pressed onto a steel ruler so it sets flat.I earlier removed a strake from the bottom of the wing which wasn't on this 125-600.Its left overnight while I work & we'll see if it works in the morning.

20171123_224735.jpg

Adios,

Jimbob. ....

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
More info.
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Happy Christmas & New Year guys,sorry for the lack of updates.Thats mainly due to work & not being in a good mood for modelling but I did a little now & again but nothing worth posting about.Right so what has been done?

20171201_025622.jpg

I used a RB Productions scriber to scratch some detail in the flaps top & bottom but it looked a little overdone so I gave it a coat of Mr.Surfacer later to blend it in more.

20171225_121305.jpg

The tailplane/elevator area was tidied up to narrow gaps,the bullet fairing was shaped & the end tip cut down for a clear sprue light (not fitted yet),some wire was bent & glued to the front of the tailplane for the HF aerial to pass through.The ailerons were also tidied up for a better fit & a small intake was cut into the bottom of each wing along with a little scribing.I started on the cockpit area by cutting down the kit seats to shape,added armrests from strips of plastic,seatbelts from wine foil,Mr. Surfacer brushed on the seats & stippled as it dried to give the sheepskin effect.Centre console made from strip plastic & all painted with Vallejo acrylics in 1970's fashionable cockpit colour.Control columns are being made from strip plastic & bent wire.

More photos later,phone / app acting up for posting pics.Off to meet the outlaws for a few hours.

All the best,

Jimbob. ...

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
  • Like 6