PK-110 HS.125-600

dude_gan_ainm

Small update - wing construction finished at last.90% happy with the lights,the cellotape is slightly raised in one area but hey ho.We will see how it turns out after paint.The larger flap fairings under the wings were drilled to take 0.3mm brass tube for a stronger bond.The protruding strip between the upper aileron & flap is shaped from brass strip,all the other lumps n bumps are from plastic strip or rod.

20180212_023619.jpg

I hoped to be further ahead at this stage but tis still progress 

Jimbob. ..

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
  • Like 8

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:47, dude_gan_ainm said:

I hoped to be further ahead at this stage but tis still progress 

Jimbob. ..

It sure is Jimbob, it's fantastic progress. You have added a lot of missing detail and shape improvements into this kit, keep plugging away at that to do list bud. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this makes it, but please don't take that as a 'kick in the pants'' and take your time, it's going to be a great looking model in the end. 

Thanks John,no harm done - I actually needed a kick in the rear!That's what I find great about group builds,no get encouragement to do things & helpful advice.Well done on the Buckeye,never in a million years would I have guessed it was a Matchbox kit.You done a fantastic job on it.

Jimbob...

• Like 2

This is a cracking build. Really enjoyed reading through it. Must go back and read through again when I have more time. Sorry for all the likes :) 

I may have missed it, but what are you using for reference for all your additions and refinements. I have one of these and would like to do the old RAF 32 sqdn scheme from RAF Northolt back in the 70's. Hope I can do it justice.

Nice work. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliment Smudge & I hope you give one or two things a bash when you build your 125.Good question on the reference material.Nothing special really.I got a photocopy from a library book back in the 80's or 90's when I bought the kit.Then when I got back into modelling the Internet has made a hugh difference & I've used images from the net as reference for the build.There's not a lot of great pics of 125-600's but I came accross some good ones of the particular 125 I'm doing both before and after its time In Ireland.

If you are going to scratch the ailerons make them a little larger than what I did.I didn't have a photo of that area & figured out too late what Matchbox did.In the photo below they should be up to the Matchbox panel line with the arrow.I can live with my mistake. 

2018-02-15_23.05.18.png

Another quick update,fashion crisis kits New York - black is the new red.I painted the red plastic,exhaust nozzles & wheels with black primer.I used MIG One Shot primer,never used it before so I hope it works out.

20180215_124015.jpg

The wings & tail were given a wash with lemon juice & a clean soft brush to clean off the dirt & grease built up over the build.This was then given another wash with water & a drop of washing liquid.It seems to have helped with getting a good finish so far.

Cheers for looking,

Jimbob. ...

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
  • Like 5

Hi lads,

unfortunately there's no miracles tonight in Ireland & the 125 will not make it to the gallery.Not unexpected I guess.The Matchbox groupbuild has been the best one I've been involved in,fantastic builds all round with wonderful people.My respect for Matchbox kits has risen immensely after seeing the results in the gallery.A big thankyou to the host Arniec & vppelt68,Enzo Matrix for the extension which was much appreciated & Dave Rabbit Leader who enhanced the groupbuild with the amazing list.Thankyou to everyone for the encouragement & helpful tips & likes,it's dissapointing not to finish on time but I'm  still delighted to have taken part & proud of what I have achieved so far.

If it wasn't for the groupbuild this kit would still be buried in the stash.

So have far have I got?Well I think another few days to finish,I found the MIG one shot takes abut two days to cure - it's pretty thin so good for retaining detail but it also highlights your boo boos.I overpainted the black with white primer which didn't go on as well as black but it could be down to spraying in a colder temperasure.Elevators got epoxied to the tailplanes & wings onto fuselage.All masked for more primer.

20180218_161949.jpg

I constructed the engines after painting the outside straw with acrylic,I used a little epoxy on the outside of the straw near the intake lip area & at the centre pod join,the rest of the kit engine was glued with Revell Contacta as normal.The nosecone was slipped on & the epoxy outside the straw secures a good fit (well one was better than the other).

Seams required filler & the port engine fit to the fuselage wasn't great but Milliput to the rescue.

20180217_035113.jpg

20180217_231515.jpg

So this is where the build is at the moment.The engine pods needed white Milliput at the join of the nosecone to the main pod section (this might be down to not using the kit jet blade section),they will get a coat of Mr.Surfacer to get a smoother finish later.The wing join also got some white Milliput & shaped.Nose gear doors to be glued on before paint & the engines will be painted & attached after the fuselage has been painted.All that's left are the small bits to be painted & attached plus I'll make a pair of wipers as well.20180218_211105.jpg

I'll keep at it & I'll post it on this groupbuild. Thanks again to everyone for your support & inspiration,well done to everyone on your brilliant builds & hope to see you guys again on another (hopefully a completed one by myself) groupbuild in the future.

Jimbob.... .

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Jimbob, 

It is a shame that this 125 has not made it, however you've done such a marvellous job so far with all these great enhancements that it would be a shame to rush it now. 

This is one thread that's worth keeping. I'm sure I'll find one of these kits for a 'kind' price one day and when I do I'll be revisiting your build for inspiration and helpful hints. 

And I'm sure I'm not the only one that will be still keeping a watchful eye for further updates. 

Thanks for the kind words regarding the GB Build list. I really enjoyed doing it and it allowed me to take a good look over each and every build. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Sorry to read that this one won't make it Jimbob, but it was a valiant attempt. I look forward to seeing it completed and I will also be interested to see how you make the wiper blades, I tried and failed to make a set for my Beagle Basset. 

I hope to see more of your work in the future.

Cheers

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for the kind words guys.Slow progress on the 125 since the groupbuild ended I kinda lost momentum.Last weekend I got some modelling time in after getting the heating working again & preventing pipes freezing during storm Emma,I made three small aerials from brass sheet for under the fuselage & epoxied them in position.Also epoxied another sticky out thing on the starboard fuselage & the nose wheel doors.

2018-03-04_20.49.36.jpg

I also made up a pair of wipers for the cockpit windows from some brass sheet,tube & metal rod superglued together (to be glued in position later in the build).Just for you John (Nimrod54) I'll go into more detail.Using a photo I marked where the wiper arm is connected to the fuselage & drilled a 0.3mm hole,I then bent (90°ish) some 0.3mm Albion Alloys brass tube held in a pliers.This was then cut to a short length &  was given a little white glue to temporarily fit in the hole.

20180303_170714.jpg

Again using the photo & the kit window width as a guide you can measure the wiper length & mark this on the kit to scale.I think the wiper worked out at say 3.5mm & the arm at say 4.5mm.The arm was Albion Alloys 0.2mm nickel silver rod cut & slips into the brass tube & superglued,then filed back to the 4.5mm length with a power tool at low revs.

20180303_211917.jpg

The wiper was marked out on thin brass sheet (I think it's

0.2mm thick) & cut out with scissors.Then filed down to size gradually with the power tool.This was then superglued onto the arm in front of the glazing to roughly get the angle right using a few strips of Tamiya tape built up 3 high as a guide/stopper.

20180303_215935.jpg

This turned out to be the hardest part as the parts are so small & kept moving,getting the rod into the tube was also painful.So all this was duplicated for the second wiper,removed the next morning & given a light coat of black primer.No photo taken of them yet.I hope this gives you some ideas for a future build John,it's worth a try but I can see they are not easy things to do.A good magnifier is definitely needed.

20180303_235653.jpg

I then primed the fuselage & elevators,put it away  to dry & harden up in a box for a few days but the box fell.One nose wheel door fell off & bent,two of the small brass aerials bent, paint scratched on the nose & tail.Hopefully it's all fixable.I'll leave it for a few days & see what can be done.Another two steps forward one step back.
Till next time,
Jimbob . ...

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
  • Like 7

That's unfortunate Jimbob, I'm sure that you will be able to sort it out though. I find that it's always best to let the dust settle after something like that happens, things won't seem quite as bad when you pick it up again.

Thanks for taking me through your construction method for the wipers. I have bookmarked the page for future reference and I will certainly try it out, perhaps on a large model before scaling down.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just another small update on this 125 which is now slower than a snail.I got the modelling tools out & started painting black for the leading edge & engine bare metal colours.

20180405_010716.jpg

All the best,

Jimbob . ....

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
  • Like 5

Stop worrying about the speed Jim - the quality is fantastic, and that's what you're going to be left with when you're done. I have 3 of these in the stash - 2 destined to join the Royal Flight and one as the Sea Harrier Blue Vixen radar development aircraft. They languish in their boxes waiting for me to spontaneously acquire a small proportion of the skills you have already demonstrated. If you finish too quickly, how will the rest of us get our inspiration?

Kirk

• Like 1

Thanks Kirk for the kind words.I'm just a Joe Soap modeller like most people here,nothing special,just trying out ideas which mostly succeed.Just like I'll be trying out spraying Alclad for the first time.Should be ok.Don't worry about your skills,we all improve over time but don't leave those 125's too long as the eyesight starts to go & makes modelling more difficult.I found my missing 125 kit which will become a 700,so a pair of new engines will be scratched for that.Your Royal Flight 125's will be worth seeing,fantastic scheme & I've seen photos of the research 125 which will be a very nice project!

Cheers,

Jimbob. ..

Small update as usual,I sprayed the Alclad & tis nice to work with but boy those it show up your flaws!Engines & tailplane leading edge.

20180406_201315.jpg

Fin & wing leading edge.Loose fit to get an idea of how this look at the moment. 

20180407_013327.jpg

I later discovered after looking at photos that the fin strip shouldn't be as wide so I'll try painting white over what shouldn't be there.The wing edge looks too dark so I'll try to sort this out as well & the engines need some detail painting & weathering.My next go at Alclads will be better,you learn from your mistakes with experience. 

All the best,

Jimbob. ...

Edited by dude_gan_ainm
  • Like 7

Apologies for the late response Jimbob, I've just noticed that you have managed a couple of updates since I last checked in. It may be slow progress but the quality is up there with the rest of the build. It's coming along very nicely, so keep going and I'll keep an eye out for more updates.

Thanks John,watch out for the tumbleweed - tis gone quiet here but thats down to being the straggler.I'll plug away at this but I notice that the pics are gone.It seems Postimge which I used are having some problems,we'll see how this pans out.

I sprayed over the unwanted Alclad area on the fin with white,leaving a smaller bare metal panel.I noticed there's a little spot of metal colour under the masking.Maybe a gap or else something I didn't think of - the Alclad is a lacquer & possibly went through the thin plastic cling film? Anyway nothing major & it will be easily overpainted.I also started weathering the engines which turned out only so so,so far.

I'll post up some progress shots around the weekend even if Postimge don't get sorted.

Adios, 

Jimbob. ..

• Like 1

Hi there,

just got the pics back in the build log,it took longer than expected as they hadn't saved in Postimage so they all had to be reuploaded  there first

& then reloaded here.Done now so happy days.Hope to get some bench time later.

Adios,

Jimbob......

Only got onto this yesterday & yet again it's one step forward one back.I painted more Alclad on the wing leading edge & around the landing lights.All went ok till I got some over spray on the port leading edge when using polished aluminium so that panel ended up too bright compared to the rest even after I tried toning it down later.

I also started masking for the cheatline which I'll start painting later today.

Here's a shot I took before my boo boo.

20180416_160255.jpg

TTFN,

Jimbob. .. .

• Like 5

Small update time,

I got some black paint on the tail for the cheatline  (just a little touch up to do).So the masking comes off the tailplane at last.A quick loose fit to get an idea of how things look.Pretty good I think.I also primed the front of the intake above the fuselage for a little Alclad.

20180418_194100.jpg

20180418_194243.jpg

2018-04-18_22.10.07.jpg

Next up will be masking & painting the fuselage cheatline.

Adios,

Jimbob. ...

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the 125.Not good news I'm afraid.I injured my thumb again recently so this has come to a halt till it heals up.I promise this will be finished hopefully soon enough.

Adios till then,

Jimbob. ...

• Like 3

Thumbs up Jimbob and get well soon... (Sorry for the tackless pun!).

You know this kit deserves to be finished so another few weeks won't hurt. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

Hope that hand is better soon Jimbob. There has been so much lovely work done on this kit already, and I look forward to seeing more of the same when you feel that the thumb has improved enough for you to continue.

Until then I wish you a speedy recovery. 👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the support guys,it's much appreciated! You wouldn't realise how much you rely on your thumbs so much,back at work now & getting back to normal.I did a little on the 125 - 

masked & painted the national flag on the tail & also masked both doors & gave them a shot of aluminium. 

20180504_172450.jpg

Then masked off the cheatline on the fuselage & sprayed it black.

20180505_224904.jpg

I might get some more done over the weekend after letting the hair down for a Frank & Walters gig Saturday night. Yeeehaaay .

Ahem,

Jimbob. ......

• Like 6

Good to hear that the thumb is on the mend Jimbob, and nice to see some more progress being made. Great job on masking the fuselage stripes and especially the work involved with painting the fin flashes. Enjoy the gig, I hope that the head feels up to continuing again soon. :winkgrin:

Is that fin flash hand painted and not a decal? Wow - if that’s the case, that’s just fantastic - well done. This is certainly looking great and like all good things it’s worth the wait. 

Cheers.. Dave