Winter Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.L - Dragon 1/35 - FINISHED and in the RFI section

PlaStix

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I'm liking the module build technique Stix.

Hi, just curious. What are the benefits of module build technique with a closed hull AFV. I get it with open top fighting compartments, to access all the internal details etc. Is it because of the brush painting approach?

regards

Simon

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Looking good Stix and the Tank Grey really suits it, much better than all that grey boring plastic.  You must really thin that paint if

you have 3 coats on there.  Most of the time when I brush one coat sort of buries a lot but I can see all of the teensy rivets on yours so must be

awfully light coats.  You should write a page on your methods, not a novel like Badder's on Stug tracks but some tips for us novices.

Should have paid your electric bill so you could turn on a light and keep on weathering.  BTW it's amazing how 10" of snow makes things so much

brighter around here, with the sun shining this AM it's absolutely dazzling and need sunglasses for sure. Like the Eskimos and their snow blindness.

Take care,

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd and thank you. :thumbsup: Yeah I do thin the paint a lot. And I mean a lot! I have tried to explain before how I paint but it's not the same as seeing it happen. I watched some YouTube videos when I was trying to learn how to do this type of painting. I did try making a video a couple of years back but didn’t have much luck with it - the sound was too poor and the angle to show what I was doing was tricky. If I get chance I will try and make another one to show what I do.

With regards the lighting where I do my kit building atm - up until fairly recently Mrs PlaStix and I have always used the island worktop in the kitchen and the kitchen has lots of lighting including lots of natural light. For the past few months we have had additional family members stopping with us so I have been relegated to a small spot next to the window in the spare back room. It only has one light currently but the bit of table top is next to the window. As soon as the light starts to fade outside it is really to dark to do anything which requires more light. It's okay for assembling stuff under the one electric light but no so good otherwise.

I can imagine how bright is must get with all the snow.

Thank you for your comments and I hope you have a pleasant Sunday.

16 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

See, how many parts can you create to build a 1/35th not working jack? There is a crazy designer working for Dragon,

Lovely job though Stix :yes:

Thank you very much Julian and yes, I think the Dragon designer(s) does get a bit carried away at times - but it does keep me occupied.

15 hours ago, clive_t said:

Terrific brush work Stix B)

Thank you Clive - most kind. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I'm liking the module build technique Stix.

Thank you Ozzy. Yeah I'm actually finding it quite handy. :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, LONGSHANKS2966 said:

Hi, just curious. What are the benefits of module build technique with a closed hull AFV. I get it with open top fighting compartments, to access all the internal details etc. Is it because of the brush painting approach?

regards

Simon

Hi Simon. Yes, for the most part it is because I brush paint, but I'm pretty sure I would do my building in this way even if I did spray paint. I came to AFV building from a background of primarily making aircraft and was surprised to find that most AFV modellers do assemble pretty much everything apart from the tracks, then spray paint everything and then must detail paint and weather with everything else in the way. I’d rather do it my way because I can get to everything easily for detail painting and weathering.

10 hours ago, Carius said:

Great job indeed Stix :popcorn:

Thank you Carius - you are very kind.

28 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

The surface of the painting is great, it is amazing that it is with a brush ... It seems very comfortable the modular assembly system.:popcorn:

Cheers Stix :yes:

Hi Francis and thank you for your comments. Yes the modular system seems to be working okay so far. This kit design by Dragon does lend itself to this way of building this tank.

This morning I have been finishing off the dry-brushing. First off I did an overall wash of very thinned Revell Gunship Grey, followed by targeted washes of Revell's Anthracite - in and around any raised/recessed detail on all the painted parts. Once dry I did some dry-brushing over everything - first using Gunship Grey followed by Revell's Light Grey in places. In these photos the upper hull stuff is not glued in place - they are all just resting on the lower hull:

92394FE4-92AB-4FEB-A02E-D430BBE6B1F4

B3C6758D-4947-4612-8262-5002E6A9E218

D39FB89C-30F3-43AA-8D2D-28FA748BDBE7

E8E6BEB4-09CD-4D62-A7F0-2ECC9A1FEA57

8B596287-5092-4E0C-AAA9-B0ABFB9D15D8

E449D260-107B-496A-940D-A6D457A311C9

16680196-6B96-4A92-928E-F219450A2650

Next up I need to start weathering the sides of the lower hull before fitting the wheels.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 10

Well I really like that faded grey effect on the edges, it breathes some life into the darker colors and the gunship grey with the tank grey is a nice combination with some

interesting tones.

Module- schmodule...who cares...everyone has their own methods and whatever yours is you are obviously doing it right .

Hurrah...it's not snowing this AM and looks like a nice Sunday.  The boss lady is coming back from 10 days at her mom's

in Manitoba so the weiners and beans diet will probably improve too. (I didn't say that too loud did I?)  Cat and I have been putting up with each other for over a week and we both think the other is a pain, especially when he wakes me up at 5:30AM like this morning.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:32 PM, BlackMax12 said:

You should write a page on your methods, not a novel like Badder's on Stug tracks but some tips for us novices.

To use some old and nowadays rarely seen acronyms, ROFL and PMSL.

Thanks Lloyd,

Rearguards

Badder

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

If I get chance I will try and make another one to show what I do.

Yes please!

Great WIP and getting better and better Stix!

With respect to lighting affecting things, the astroturf which I used for my rushes changes from a dusty pale-to-mid-green in diffused daylight to a clean almost glowing mid-green

under low energy lightbulbs. It's very weird because you'd have thought daylight would penetrate the 'reeds' more and cause the 'inner glow', not the poxy lightbulbs.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlackMax12 said:

Don't really get the PMSL...there's some words I can make fit but don't want to post them.

You must be a young 'un! :D LLLLLOYD. Is that the right amount of 'L's?'

ROFL, Roll on floor laughing. PMSL is P*** my self laughing. Though why anyone thought MYSELF was split in two is a bit of a my stery.

20 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

So Mr Badger what's with the astroturf?  Are you playing football or soccer on that diorama?

It's Badder, Floyd, but I suspect you know that!

I found a square meter or so of Astroturf on a fly-tip and carried it home on the bus wrapped around my body under my coat. It's super stuff for rushes and the single blades of 'grass' are handy for straps/belts.

Rearguards

Badder;)

• Haha 1

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:10 PM, BlackMax12 said:

OK so someone called you "Badger" and you answered to it.......so. 

Lloyd

I do get called Badger in real life too.... by those who mishear my nickname or are taking the mickey.

Now, apologise to Mr Stix for the off topic convo!:P 

Question for Mr Stix,

If you were painting with an airbrush, would you still keep a lot of the parts on their sprues? I ask because there'd be an awful lot more spray going airborne than if you only sprayed parts once assembled.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Hi Stix

Got a little off topic there bugging Badder. 

He just posed a good question though, sometimes I forget to turn on the fan on my booth before I start spraying and there's lots of

stuff flying and some getting inhaled too.  There probably would be more with the parts still on the sprues but it's a lot easier to hold things when brushing so 

since it works and works extremely well for you then it's a moot point.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

On 05/11/2017 at 13:27, BlackMax12 said:

Well I really like that faded grey effect on the edges, it breathes some life into the darker colors and the gunship grey with the tank grey is a nice combination with some

interesting tones.

Module- schmodule...who cares...everyone has their own methods and whatever yours is you are obviously doing it right .

Hurrah...it's not snowing this AM and looks like a nice Sunday.  The boss lady is coming back from 10 days at her mom's

in Manitoba so the weiners and beans diet will probably improve too. (I didn't say that too loud did I?)  Cat and I have been putting up with each other for over a week and we both think the other is a pain, especially when he wakes me up at 5:30AM like this morning.

Take care,

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd and thank you very much for your comments. I must admit I find the module way of building very useful - plus it allows for a feeling of getting things done.

I hope the rest of the weekend went well and that your good lady is well too. And I hope the cat is well too!

On 05/11/2017 at 16:16, Gremlin56 said:

Great progress Stix, excellent paintwork as always. You are doing a great job bringing out the details, amazing job in view of the grey base color :yes:

Thank you very much Julian - you are most kind!

On 05/11/2017 at 17:30, Badder said:

Yes please!

Great WIP and getting better and better Stix!

With respect to lighting affecting things, the astroturf which I used for my rushes changes from a dusty pale-to-mid-green in diffused daylight to a clean almost glowing mid-green

under low energy lightbulbs. It's very weird because you'd have thought daylight would penetrate the 'reeds' more and cause the 'inner glow', not the poxy lightbulbs.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder and thank you. Yes I will try and make a video of how I paint. As I said, I did try before but I didn't end up with anything that could be broadcast! 

Yes I have found lighting and background can have a real impact on colours and overall impression of kits and scenery. I find most kits do look better in front of a sky/scene background and with natural, but not too strong, daylight.

On 06/11/2017 at 19:16, clive_t said:

That's a very effective paint job Stix, like it a lot B)

Thank you very much Clive - most kind! :thumbsup:

On 07/11/2017 at 12:42, Bullbasket said:

Great work with the hairy stick and the dry brushing.

John.

Thank you very much John.

20 hours ago, Hewy said:

Really nice work stixs, you've  made the grey  look interesting before the weathering even starts, 

Glynn 

Thank you Glynn. Yes grey can be a very unimpressive colour - this kind of dry-brushing does give it a bit more character.

19 hours ago, Badder said:

I do get called Badger in real life too.... by those who mishear my nickname or are taking the mickey.

Now, apologise to Mr Stix for the off topic convo!:P 

Question for Mr Stix,

If you were painting with an airbrush, would you still keep a lot of the parts on their sprues? I ask because there'd be an awful lot more spray going airborne than if you only sprayed parts once assembled.

Rearguards,

Badder

Absolutely no need to apologise - I think it all adds interest to a thread! 

I'm not likely to use an airbrush anytime soon but I think I would still adopt pretty much the same approach. I think I'd find it harder trying to detail paint with everything fixed in place. 

19 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Hi Stix

Got a little off topic there bugging Badder. 

He just posed a good question though, sometimes I forget to turn on the fan on my booth before I start spraying and there's lots of

stuff flying and some getting inhaled too.  There probably would be more with the parts still on the sprues but it's a lot easier to hold things when brushing so 

since it works and works extremely well for you then it's a moot point.

Take care,

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd - as I said - absolutely not an issue for me although you missed a trick there and didn't suggest you were 'baiting' Badder ('Badder baiting' - :coat: )

One of the reasons I don't use an airbrush is because I don't have anywhere to use one. When I use the odd bit of rattle-can matt varnish I currently tend to do it just outside the back door - hoping that there isn't any wind!.

I'm really looking forward to getting back to this project at the weekend.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 1

Just been looking for ideas for whitewash finishes for this project. I found the following four images through Google but I'm struggling to find the details of the original poster. If there are any problems with these being posted here please let me know and I will remove them.

893CA7A9-F6B6-4002-B872-5F702F80D5E0

9D3AEF27-12A0-4F75-813A-74EA7D2BD0BF

9437D83A-9EA6-4A56-B824-17143EC54C0B

2307BB73-EEC4-4D49-84B6-02B0D3E0BF0A

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

This little cutie is falling together nicely. It is all looking so nice, clean and perfect. I might need to take some classes, any spare appointments available :D?^^ I feel so non-German with my 0.0% order and tidiness during my projects once comparing my stuff with what all you cool people out here are doing.

Always a pleasure to look into your build here.

Thanks

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1