Winter Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.L - Dragon 1/35 - FINISHED and in the RFI section

PlaStix

On 10/21/2017 at 10:11, FrancisGL said:

Tracks looks very nice, Osketten give a touch a few strange....:popcorn:, cheers Stix :yes:

On 10/21/2017 at 11:58, Gremlin56 said:

The "Ostketten" will look great when finished and fitted. Gives the tank that little bit extra in appearance. The crew is a nice addition to the build too,

:yes:

Hi Francis and Julian. Thank you very much for your comments. You both had me a little confused when you mentioned the track extensions as 'Ostketten' - I wondered what this was. Having checked I discovered that the extensions on these tracks for the PzIII were the ones called 'Winterketten'. Winterketten were developed in 1942 for use in winter conditions on the Eastern Front. These were normal tracks with track extensions that protruded from the ends of the tracks. These were usually found on Pz.IIIs, Pz.IVs and StuG IIIs. OstKetten, apparently, were developed in 1944 for use in the muddy conditions in the Spring and Autumn on the Eastern Front. These were basically a wider track than the usual track, there were no triangular extensions, just wider tracks.

On 10/21/2017 at 11:30, Ozzy said:

Nice work on the track so far, I'm looking forward to seeing those figures come together. As that's one of the sets, I will be using in the IV GB.

Thank you Ozzy and thank you for your advice about the figures. Believe it or not I haven't opened up the box yet but I'm looking forward to seeing what they are like.

On 10/21/2017 at 15:53, Badder said:

Great to see the Continental Super Soft tyres being used on this Panzer! So much better than the Michelin Full Wets that were originally planned. :lol: Oh, I'm mixing my AFVs with my F1s.

:rofl:

On 10/21/2017 at 15:53, Badder said:

I love those tracks btw. When I made my ancient Dragon Imperial Series StuG III, I did have problems with fitting them to the drive wheel sprockets... because in that ancient kit the teeth were misaligned from one side to the other, and if you tried to line them up in one place they went out of synch in the rest! Your kit is not 25yrs old though so I expect that's no longer an issue?

Rearguards,

Badder.

Hi Badder and thank you. Yes the tracks do add another level of interest. As you'll see below I have started work with some tracks around the sprockets and, I am relieved to say, they fit really well.

As I mentioned before I have decided to try and do the tracks in a similar fashion to Link & Length tracks. The modeller, whose review build I am using as a guide, made up the whole length and wrapped them around the wheels but removed them for painting. They looked remarkably fragile and he mentioned that they came apart in several places while being painted.

As can be seen in my post above I have made up the bottom run for one side and the runs from this to the sprocket at one end and the idler at the other. This weekend I decided to try and find out how well they fitted around the sprocket - and I have to say - they fit really well:

CCE1123E-D7BC-497D-A180-97A755A4622E

These are not glued to the sprocket. I basically added glue to the joint section on each of the 9 links, put the links together, let them set for several minutes before wrapping them around the sprocket. They stayed in place beautifully. Having let them set for several hours I removed them from the sprocket and they held their shape really well:

4025D19D-52B7-417F-BA18-DCD5FF2A7E3C

Because the idler is the same size they fit these too:

CA2DF623-7909-4C7A-B387-48433021E5DA

A little more work resulted in:

3CB34B18-5F99-4FA2-A857-7AB77989B269

None of these are glued in place. Once I have all the separate sections assembled and glued I will paint and weather them before fitting them in place.

This weekend I also started work on the upper hull parts - including the rear deck:

14C53837-0F5F-4C31-BD94-DF645B23EC8C

After getting this far I painted the insides of the vents Anthracite before fitting the PE grills:

E324EC15-739E-4A62-BF15-1CFFCAA13370

....and before long I had the front and central sections together too:

93C89AEF-E39E-48B6-88FE-A672641429E6

E101077B-D6BB-45AB-8F96-C8F895ED92B2

The upper hull sections are only placed on top of the lower hull. None of the sections are glued in place. I will do the painting and basic weathering before the sections are finally assembled.

I am quite liking this 1/35 Dragon kit so far.

More next weekend.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

Nice going with this one Styx. It's interesting to see how this build goes and useful for when I (finally) get around to building my one, although it's probably a much earlier issue.

John.

• Thanks 1

I had to laugh Stix, because when I wrote that novel about the StuG tracks I actually went on to say how I glued my tracks in sections, and how I fitted links to the dodgy sprocket and the idler wheels, gluing them in the required shape, and then made straight sections etc before painting and then fixing the track lengths together all in place... and then I though NO! Stix must surely know! I'd be teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs. And here I am typing all that stuff I decided not to type.... doh!

In short, YEP! That's how I'd do it. In my case, having a dodgy sprocket kinda forced me into it.:D

Anyway, neat and tidy progress, precisely as expected.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Looking good Stix, coming along very nicely and be it Winter- or Ostketten they look very sexy :D (I'll have to dig into my stash for the set of Friul Ostketten I bought a few years ago for a Dragon IV to check the details).

• Thanks 1

On 23/10/2017 at 15:39, Bullbasket said:

Nice going with this one Styx. It's interesting to see how this build goes and useful for when I (finally) get around to building my one, although it's probably a much earlier issue.

John.

Hi John and thank you for your comments. If you’re building a Dragon kit see if you can find someone who’s built the kit and done a WIP. The one I'm using for this kit has been a real benefit although I’ve even found errors with the instructions that weren’t mentioned. My advice is to take it slow and check each stage in advance. Don't get me wrong - I'm thoroughly enjoying making this kit - it's just Dragon try and make it harder than it needs to be.

On 23/10/2017 at 16:38, Badder said:

I had to laugh Stix, because when I wrote that novel about the StuG tracks I actually went on to say how I glued my tracks in sections, and how I fitted links to the dodgy sprocket and the idler wheels, gluing them in the required shape, and then made straight sections etc before painting and then fixing the track lengths together all in place... and then I though NO! Stix must surely know! I'd be teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs. And here I am typing all that stuff I decided not to type.... doh!

In short, YEP! That's how I'd do it. In my case, having a dodgy sprocket kinda forced me into it.:D

Anyway, neat and tidy progress, precisely as expected.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder - I'm glad I didn’t let you down! Thank you. :thumbsup:

On 23/10/2017 at 17:34, FrancisGL said:

Very good job with track sections, later it should be easy to fit all the pieces...:popcorn:

Cheers Stix :yes:

Hi Francis and thank you. Yeah that's what I'm hoping!

On 24/10/2017 at 19:36, Hewy said:

Yes very nice stix, must say even without glue the fit looks real good, 

Glynn 

Hi Glynn and thank you. The tracks really fit well to the sprocket - it's a shame Dragon don’t make the actual links to click together rather than needing glue.

On 25/10/2017 at 17:29, modelling minion said:

Very nice work Stix.

Good idea on the track links, looks like it has worked a treat and is one I will have to remember when I get around to building my first "target" with individual links.

Thank you very much Craig. Yeah this route with the track links seems okay so far. I think it's better than trying to make up the whole length of track as one piece.

On 25/10/2017 at 18:47, Blaubar said:

Lovely progress of this beauty with these awesome Ostketten!

/Stefan

Hi Stefan and thank you for your kind comments.

On 27/10/2017 at 05:57, Gremlin56 said:

Looking good Stix, coming along very nicely and be it Winter- or Ostketten they look very sexy :D (I'll have to dig into my stash for the set of Friul Ostketten I bought a few years ago for a Dragon IV to check the details).

Hi Julian. Yeah I think it will add another dimension to the overall appearance. I'd be interested to see what your Friul Ostketten look like. I've no problem if you want to post some photos in this thread. I'm sure others ( and I ) will be interested in what they look like.

This weekend I’ve been doing a bit more building. I'm trying to get as much of the actual upper tank stuff built ready for painting. The plan is to put sub-assemblies together and then paint and basically weather them before getting the whole lot assembled. I'm also planning on doing the proper weathering on the sides of the lower hull before attaching the wheels and tracks. The upper hull stuff will be fixed in place after the tracks are on.

One thing I’d like to mention is how small some of the parts in this kit are. Just before making this kit I made a Dragon 1/72nd Sherman. Quite a few people said they couldn’t build 1/72 tank kit because they are so small. I know what they mean but this morning I think I attached two of the smallest parts I've put onto a kit. I might have made something before with similar pieces but I thought I would show a photo of these two parts alongside a UK one pence piece:

979AC127-287C-4AE3-86A0-D4A2841AE330

They are the lifting hooks that fit onto the plates that I had already glued onto the back plate for the smoke launchers. Needless to say, less than a minute later, I lost one of them having dropped it from a height of about 2cm above the cutting mat. It skittered off somewhere never to be found again. Luckily the kit has a couple of spares.

The two glued in place:

8D957098-9195-4053-B705-7F01AA911374

You will notice they will hardly be seen once the tubes are glued in place.

The following photos show all the sub-assemblies ready for painting:

6D0E850E-F377-4322-8250-FA1C83F5A6F0

110B8D71-3EE9-41E0-AA36-CE3A3A6D8150

83901A2A-F902-48F1-A9DE-9E831C0469ED

703C1F5F-AC8E-4D54-A3EE-97C4C3628665

33D39F4A-F0F5-43D2-A718-6EB4C78CE223

The final photo is just a reminder of the other parts already either painted or assembled:

E9C616DF-CE75-4282-BBDB-F67EA6A65374

I have still got a lot of work to do on the track links - I have only cleaned up one side's worth so far.

Next weekend I hope to get some painting done and possibly start the weathering on the sides of the lower hull.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Maybe an idea for a new thread in 'funnies' or some such forum.

A competition for 'The Smallest Part Ever?'

Rearguards,

Badder.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Are those small parts small or what, bet you were tempted to leave em on the sprue, no one will know, go on admit it, just like when we were kids (think i did it only a couple of models ago).. :think:

Great modelling and painting stix 

Glynn 

• Thanks 1

On 29/10/2017 at 16:14, modelling minion said:

More nice work Stix, good to see all the sub-assemblies just about done and ready for some paint.

Those are some seriously tiny parts there though mate, would test anyone's eyesight!

Thank you very much Craig. I'm hoping to get some paint on these this weekend. And it's not just the eyesight it tests - it's being able to pick them up and get them into place without losing them or getting them stuck somewhere they shouldn't!

On 29/10/2017 at 16:42, Badder said:

Maybe an idea for a new thread in 'funnies' or some such forum.

A competition for 'The Smallest Part Ever?'

Rearguards,

Badder.

Sounds like a plan! There are some wing nuts included with this kit which can be fitted if desired - I haven't properly looked at them yet but I think they are smaller than these hooks!! I will take some photos of them at the weekend if I remember.

On 29/10/2017 at 16:51, Soeren said:

Magnificent :)

Thank you! :thumbsup:

On 29/10/2017 at 16:55, Ozzy said:

Coming along nicely Stix.

Thank you Ozzy.

23 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

This is a nice article about the winter/ostketten:

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=79855

You are absolutely correct Stix, I had "Winterketten" in my stash all these years and not Ostketten :think:

Cheers Julian and thank you for the link to the article. :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, Hewy said:

Are those small parts small or what, bet you were tempted to leave em on the sprue, no one will know, go on admit it, just like when we were kids (think i did it only a couple of models ago).. :think:

Great modelling and painting stix 

Glynn 

Hi Glynn - yes I admit it - I did look at them and think 'shall I bother?' especially as they are hidden behind the smoke launcher tubes. But then I thought - I know what will happen - I'll take a photo from some angle and keep noticing they're missing. Anyway they're on!

Thank you for your comments.

Really looking forward to the weekend when I can get some paint on these parts.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I know what you mean, the camera seems to see all.  It's the part you didn't get paint on or the part you didn't bother with or the part you lost to the carpet monster or..............

Looks good so far, and those brushes are calling you for the weekend so get at it, those parts will probably look lots better after you wave your wand over them.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:42 PM, Badder said:

I've JUST realised!

That penny is mine!

I dropped it at The Loughborough Village Idiot Competition last Sunday.

I recognise it by the pattern of nicks around the edge below the '1'

I want it back

.:swear:

Badder

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

I know what you mean, the camera seems to see all.  It's the part you didn't get paint on or the part you didn't bother with or the part you lost to the carpet monster or..............

Looks good so far, and those brushes are calling you for the weekend so get at it, those parts will probably look lots better after you wave your wand over them.

Lloyd

Sounds about right about what the camera sees - got far better vision than me!! Thank you and yes I can't wait to get the paint on!

34 minutes ago, Badder said:

I've JUST realised!

That penny is mine!

I dropped it at The Loughborough Village Idiot Competition last Sunday.

I recognise it by the pattern of nicks around the edge below the '1'

I want it back

.:swear:

Badder

That's weird because I thought it must be yours when I picked it up. I have put it in the post addressed to:

Badder

Wiltshire.

I'm sure it will be with you soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 1

Early(ish) weekend update.

First job this morning was to get the assembled sub-sections painted. I used Revell's matt Tank Grey (no. 78), thinned with water and applied with a flat brush. The photos were taken after 3 coats:

43664B70-A573-449B-9C3E-665A85EA5649

07C097A1-8716-410F-B708-C065BA11264C

I think that's enough so I will start some weathering next.

More later.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hamden said:

The paint brings out the detail nicely - wish I had your brush painting skills!

Roger

Hi Roger. The detail on this kit is pretty crisp so it does show up well and you are very kind.

I have done a couple of washes and started some dry-brushing but nothing worth a photo yet.

While waiting for the washes to dry I started work on the jack. It''s another case of quite small parts:

9880084D-F43F-4C2A-AB64-3C346D4C83DA

But it was fairly straightforward to put together:

EC3107B2-232D-45AE-BE23-4CDE09256E65

I've stopped for today now as it's starting to get a bit dark to see the subtle dry-brushing I'm trying to do.

More tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Looking good Stix and the Tank Grey really suits it, much better than all that grey boring plastic.  You must really thin that paint if

you have 3 coats on there.  Most of the time when I brush one coat sort of buries a lot but I can see all of the teensy rivets on yours so must be

awfully light coats.  You should write a page on your methods, not a novel like Badder's on Stug tracks but some tips for us novices.

Should have paid your electric bill so you could turn on a light and keep on weathering.  BTW it's amazing how 10" of snow makes things so much

brighter around here, with the sun shining this AM it's absolutely dazzling and need sunglasses for sure. Like the Eskimos and their snow blindness.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Thanks 1