Winter Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.L - Dragon 1/35 - FINISHED and in the RFI section

PlaStix

On 18/12/2017 at 17:26, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes Plastix i see the photos. The Tank is looking real good 👍. Keep up the great work.

Thank you very much - you are most kind! Thank you too for letting me know you can see the photos!:thumbsup:

On 18/12/2017 at 19:36, FrancisGL said:

I see pics too, and progress is fine, as usual, nice tiny detail with wires...:popcorn:

Cheers Stix :yes:

Thank you Francis - to be fair it's a fairly simple addition using the lead wire. :thumbsup: 

On 18/12/2017 at 20:06, Hewy said:

Almost metallic looking, i know its always been about the winter scheme, but its almost a shame to cover what you've achieved there, still out of the top drawer, 

Glynn 

Hi Glynn. Thank you for your comments and I know what you mean - I will just have to have a go at doing some grey German armour but without whitewash......I have a couple of suitable candidates in the stash! :thumbsup:

Over the past couple of days I have managed to find a bit of time to get the figures from MiniArt assembled although they still need a bit of filler here and there:

38319603765_322b7d9531_b.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 7

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

The perfect complement for a perfect kit, I would like very much to see how they fit into it ...:popcorn:

Cheers Stix :yes:

Hi Francis - good question! I decided it was worth a test fit - I think this is pretty much where they will end up but I'll need to do a bit of plastic surgery in some areas to get them to fit better:

38325320555_b5b8d0c9cc_b.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

Aye up Stix, 

Great work on the tank and the figures will make all the difference. :clap2:

One thing though if I may? The two hatches on the front aren't crew hatches. They are to allow access to the transmission gubbins ;)

Regards 

Steve 

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/12/2017 at 20:21, Dads203 said:

Amazing work Stix, can’t wait to see the figures painted fella :yes:

Thank you very.much - hopefully I’ll get the figures painted this weekend.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Those figures look the business Stix, I will be ordering a set from my LHS after Christmas.

They do seem very good - I got them fairly cheap so I hope you can too.

24 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Stix, 

Great work on the tank and the figures will make all the difference. :clap2:

One thing though if I may? The two hatches on the front aren't crew hatches. They are to allow access to the transmission gubbins ;)

Regards

Steve 

Hi Steve. I am so pleased you stopped by when you did - I will find somewhere else for those two!! I need to improve my researching! I just assumed they were crew hatches because some tanks have some in this area.

Thank you for the headsup.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Thank you very.much - hopefully I’ll get the figures painted this weekend.

They do seem very good - I got them fairly cheap so I hope you can too.

Hi Steve. I am so pleased you stopped by when you did - I will find somewhere else for those two!! I need to improve my researching! I just assumed they were crew hatches because some tanks have some in this area.

Thank you for the headsup.

Kind regards,

Stix

Aye up Stix, 

Your welcome sir. I can imagine that it was a bit claustrophobic for the driver and his mate not having a hatch of their own open up!

Look forward to see what you do with the figures.

Regards 

Steve 

• Like 1

On 23/12/2017 at 09:22, fatfingers said:

Aye up Stix, 

Your welcome sir. I can imagine that it was a bit claustrophobic for the driver and his mate not having a hatch of their own open up!

Look forward to see what you do with the figures.

Regards 

Steve 

Hi Steve. Yeah I reckon I'd find pretty much any tank claustrophobic............plus it's gonna be a target! Not much fun any way you look at it!

On 23/12/2017 at 21:43, Kris B said:

With figures it will looks even better. 

I hope so! 

On 24/12/2017 at 08:47, modelling minion said:

This just gets better and better Stix!

The weathering and snow effects on the tank look superb and the figures look really good too. They look realistically posed too and are going to really set this model off, I'm looking forward to seeing them painted up and fitted in place.

Hi Craig and thank you for your very kind comments.

Well due to the issues with Britmodeller I have four days' worth updates to post. I have actually finished the tank itself and decided only to use two of the figures - I'll explain why when I get to that point in my progress. Most of early part of the weekend was taken up with applying the whitewash to the larger parts. This was done using mostly a stippling brush applying very thinned (with water) Humbrol Matt White and building up the effects slowly. As I paint with brushes only I don't do anything like the hairspray chipping method so I have to work out the worn areas as I'm applying the whitewash. This is how it looked with the basic whitewash completed:

24378067277_136e948d09_b.jpg

39212004572_8b4cb5790d_b.jpg

39212003992_001350608b_b.jpg

39212003372_7c1ec5ff00_b.jpg

At this stage none of the hull parts were glued together yet so I can carry on weathering the sub-assemblies - I find it much easier to weather on small sub-assemblies than trying to do a whole vehicle. So this is what all the parts look like with a touch more weathering added:

39234505742_422fc3d2fa_b.jpg

Then I started glueing some of the parts together - turret bin glued on to the turret and the hatch covers:

39234506772_a2946fbb90_b.jpg

27487281059_e7c67855f3_b.jpg

Machine gun glued in place:

39234505342_e562064d24_b.jpg

Glacis track support bar:

39234504512_3627aff03a_b.jpg

Towing cables:

38385961685_789c39c0cd_b.jpg

Then it was finally time to glue the upper hull parts onto the lower hull:

38385961225_802c7c4947_b.jpg

....and with the turret in place:

39234502832_f2514956f6_b.jpg

More later if I get time.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 10

22 hours ago, clive_t said:

That is very, very nice :thumbsup2:

Thank you Clive.

21 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I defy anyone to do a better job with an airbrush. Ist class Stix.

John.

Hi John you are way too kind but thank you.

20 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Incredible! 

Regards

Steve

Thank you! Steve!

20 hours ago, MikeR said:

Now that does look very nice indeed! It's also good to see what can be achieved using brushes only - stippling can be an oddly relaxing process!

Mike.B)

Hi Mike and thank you for your comments. I agree - applying the stippling is a relaxing process and because I use acrylic paints which I thin heavily with water for stippling it is fairly forgiving and easy to correct any issues.

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Blimey Stix your whitewashing looks fantastic, a nice worn look.

Thank you Ozzy. Yes I was trying to go for a worn look - luckily the kit suggests this Panzer III had very worn whitewash appearance.

19 hours ago, Hamden said:

Stunning result - your mastery of the hairy stick is outstanding! 

Roger

Thank you very much Roger - most kind.

19 hours ago, Kris B said:

Very good. 

Cheers Kris! :cheers:

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Nothing to add !, I'm sure you have not finished yet, and it will be even better, I love the white wash you've got, great!, :popcorn:

Cheers Stix :santa:

Hi Francis and thank you. I have finished the actual tank and a couple of figures but, at some point, I will add a base - possibly after I complete a Sherman tank in the STGB which starts on Saturday.

I meant to post a photo in my previous post showing the only two brushes I used for the whitewashing and weathering stages so here they are:

39336455201_00d5e79a5d_b.jpg

They certainly aren't much to look at but they worked pretty well for what I wanted. The stippling brush is (I think) an old Humbrol brush which I cut down a while back. After this project it is a bit the worse for wear so I'm going to have to find a new one to cut down at some point soon.

After getting some more weathering done - including adding more snow and mud - I added all the remaining smaller parts and weathered them in.

39306702482_9801dcec8c_b.jpg

24472144717_d62c4218ae_b.jpg

24472147967_43df5280dd_b.jpg

39306701912_422a3cd711_b.jpg

I will post some more photos soon and then sort out some for the RFI section.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

I see Iwata's shares just went down 20 points as airbrush sales dropped off a cliff.

You certainly have a fine touch with that brush, your stippling looks better than my spray, brush and chip efforts.  That little booger

looks like it's been to the wars and it was winter there.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

Catching up on the posts here after a crashed Christmas. These photos are amazing Stix, are you sure you don't have a Badger hidden under the workbench? The weathered whitewash knocks the socks off a lot of airbrushed and hair-sprayed jobs I have seen. :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: Think I'll take up knitting ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1