Winter Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.L - Dragon 1/35 - FINISHED and in the RFI section

PlaStix

On 10/7/2017 at 21:08, Ozzy said:

Not used Revell paint before, looks like a nice finish.

Yeah I mostly use Humbrol Acrylic paints for the base coat on builds but fancied a go with this one and I'm pleased I did. The paint itself in the tub is pretty 'gloopy' (good technical term there) but once it's thinned with water on a plate it applies really nicely and stands up to overbrushing well.

On 10/8/2017 at 00:09, Badder said:

More of a mystery is why there is any PE there at all !?

Superb finish with the hairy sticked paint, but I'm not at all surprised.

Rearguards,

Badder

Yeah I thought it was a bit odd. According to one review the PE here represents the track horn guides. Sounds plausible but I could probably have managed without fitting them and no-one would have noticed.

Thank you for your comments.

21 hours ago, Hewy said:

Solid start stix, great brush work  as usual

Glynn

Hi Glynn and thank you very much.

49 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Great start and your mastery of the hairy stick is second to none!

Looking forward to more of the same

Roger

Hi Roger. You are very kind.

Time for an update of yesterday's modelling. First off I did an overall wash of very thinned Revell Gunship Grey, followed by targeted washes of Revell's Anthracite - in and around any raised/recessed detail on all the painted parts. Once dry I did some dry-brushing over everything - first using Gunship Grey followed by Revell's Light Grey in places:

910C3F35-E6E2-49AE-81FA-DD13A108D192

E554FDAE-67F1-43B9-97F7-CDBDF2289C19

37AC3628-9D32-4CA6-86A7-2F9E562273E6

AF78EB91-1C74-4C49-85A6-6EDCE4358961

36C8CB3D-84AF-43F4-97F9-78942958F8FD

91D87FFD-B0EB-4101-BCE9-43C9AEFB8C44

337B1036-1A9C-4A1D-AD39-DEB971A53D8A

A473ABCA-BEE9-4938-9221-4AB1E22735BB

10F7873B-74B4-4D35-9005-B7D50492297A

970F24C1-F5B8-4C77-8196-0EF71439A09D

Finally I started painting some of the tires:

97F38B51-2441-4585-9FF1-5DAD46AF6E3B

CE5DC31D-9DE0-4295-BF6B-BAE427AC705D

Well for the amount of time it took yesterday it doesn't look like much progress. There's still a lot of weathering to do before these are ready to be assembled. I've also got to start removing the two ejector pin marks from every single track link - should be fun!

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Well for the amount of time it took yesterday it doesn't look like much progress. There's still a lot of weathering to do before these are ready to be assembled. I've also got to start removing the two ejector pin marks from every single track link - should be fun!

No, that is progress. I know how much time this sort of thing takes. Your hairy stick approach is better than a lot of sprayed efforts I've seen.

John. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2017 at 14:19, Bullbasket said:

No, that is progress. I know how much time this sort of thing takes. Your hairy stick approach is better than a lot of sprayed efforts I've seen.

John. 

Hi John and thank you, you are very kind. I'm now looking forward to tomorrow when I can get back to this project! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 10/9/2017 at 17:11, modelling minion said:

Great painting and weathering again Stix, well up to your usual standards.

Good luck with the track links!

Thank you very much Craig. Yeah I'm thinking I need to make a start on the track links this weekend - my thinking is that, in real terms, it shouldn't take too long - they are not as bad as some I have had to tidy up before. It'll just be a bit dull.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 10/10/2017 at 04:39, AgentG said:

It just keeps getting better and better.

G

Hi G. You are too kind, thank you.

On 10/10/2017 at 08:49, FrancisGL said:

It´s a nice progress,lot of tedious work but necessary...:popcorn:, cheers Stix :yes:

Thank you very much Francis for your comments. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 10/11/2017 at 21:50, reteip9 said:

Awesome work as usual stix. I just picked up their Panzer III ausf J (tropical) and yes there are a lot of parts but I'm confident that in your hands the result will be nothing less than spectacular :yes:

Hi reteip9. Thank you very much for your kind comments. I must admit I hadn't quite realised exactly how many parts (and how many very small parts) there are in Dragon's 1/35 kits! :shocked:

Kind regards,

Stix 

This grey coat is one area that a hairy stick can knock the socks of an airbrush, especially in the hands of someone who knows his way around a model using a hairy stick. Excellent work, sheer mastery of tools and material Stix,

:worthy::worthy::worthy: and of course a big :clap::clap::clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2017 at 16:16, Gremlin56 said:

This grey coat is one area that a hairy stick can knock the socks of an airbrush, especially in the hands of someone who knows his way around a model using a hairy stick. Excellent work, sheer mastery of tools and material Stix,

:worthy::worthy::worthy: and of course a big :clap::clap::clap:

You are waaaayyyy too kind, but thank you! :D

20 hours ago, MikeR said:

Great result with the wheels and lower hull - they look very good indeed! Can't wait to see what you can do with the rest of the kit.B)

Mike.

Thank you Mike - most kind! :thumbsup:

Not much of an update I'm afraid - sorting out the garden took some time.

I did manage to get all the tires painted with thinned Revell's Anthracite:

459C34C9-911F-4B59-8EE7-9CC25028D451

I also started work on the exhausts:

1FEF4F18-A646-4278-AEF2-D904B96C84EE

I started by painting them with thinned Revell's Anthracite. Next I dry-brushed them with Humbrol's Gunmetal before adding very thinned splotches of Railmatch's Light Rust and Anthracite. I also tried some of Vallejo's rust texture - not sure about the latter yet. Still got some work to do on these before I fit them.

I also spent a bit of the modelling time I had removing the ejector pin circles on the tracks:

367CCAB6-694E-43D7-9393-FD51EBF87CF0

I used a scalpel blade very carefully. I reckon I've got about a third of them completed so far - it is very dull.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

Nice work Stix 

Not sure if it is of any help, but in the past when I have had occasion to make paint more textured, I learned that adding an appropriate quantity of talcum powder to the paint did a reasonable job. Obviously there was a measure of trial and error, but it worked for me.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, clive_t said:

Nice work Stix 

Not sure if it is of any help, but in the past when I have had occasion to make paint more textured, I learned that adding an appropriate quantity of talcum powder to the paint did a reasonable job. Obviously there was a measure of trial and error, but it worked for me.

Thank you very much for your comments Clive and your suggestion. I will have to try that - I think that is probably what the Vallejo stuff is, or similar, that cost £5 for a small pot!

Kind regards,

Stix

Coming along nicely Stix, I done envie you on those tracks. Just a suggestion not sure if it will save any time? You could build the tracks on sticky tape, sticky side up lay the tracks out file the injection marks. Then when your ready add a bit of glue leave to dry a little the attatch.

• Thanks 1

Just a heads up stix, on my kit those six tabs on the lower hull severely interfered with putting on the fenders and the other upper hull assemblies, in the end I had to cut them of. Of course it's entirely possible that I made a mistake so yours might work with the tabs in place.

• Thanks 1

German vehicles have a lots of wheels, usually. Nice paint job on them. 

I know how you feel about thise track links as I had similar problem when builded my Sherman. 

• Thanks 1

On 18/10/2017 at 20:16, Hewy said:

Stix every time i look at your paint work it makes me want to build a model and paint it up with only brushes, you dont need an air brush, awsome it  really is. 

Glynn 

Hi Glynn and thank you. You are way too kind. :blush:

On 18/10/2017 at 20:58, Ozzy said:

Coming along nicely Stix, I done envie you on those tracks. Just a suggestion not sure if it will save any time? You could build the tracks on sticky tape, sticky side up lay the tracks out file the injection marks. Then when your ready add a bit of glue leave to dry a little the attatch.

Hi Ozzy. Thank you for your comments and the great suggestion. Unfortunately I'm a bit cack-handed when using files. I tend to end up concentrating on the bit I'm filing and forget the file is quite long resulting in areas getting filed that shouldn’t be. I would imagine that I'd end up filing away bits of the guide horns with these tiny track sections!! They’re not to bad - I'm doing a few at a time and have now started assembling some of them as you can see below.

On 19/10/2017 at 15:29, reteip9 said:

Just a heads up stix, on my kit those six tabs on the lower hull severely interfered with putting on the fenders and the other upper hull assemblies, in the end I had to cut them of. Of course it's entirely possible that I made a mistake so yours might work with the tabs in place.

Hi reteip9 and thank you for the heads up. After your post above I checked on the hull sides and compared them with the diagrams in the instructions and, sure enough, the tabs are not shown in the diagrams. I then checked the online review build I'm usings a guide and the modeller has removed the tabs. I haven’t tried properly checking with the other parts yet but it does look like the tabs shouldn’t be there and will foul the fitting. Thank you again for pointing this issue out. :thumbsup:

On 19/10/2017 at 15:48, Kris B said:

German vehicles have a lots of wheels, usually. Nice paint job on them. 

I know how you feel about thise track links as I had similar problem when builded my Sherman. 

Hi Kris and thank you for your comments. It is a shame some manufacturers haven’t figured out ways that don't leave these kind of marks when getting the parts from the moulds. However, I am happier that they are raised and not the type that require filling and filing!

On Thursday Mrs PlaStix and I went shopping in Birmingham and I managed to find these in Parabellum:

5012FE8D-6E13-4168-8A45-EFFDC10393BB

@Ozzy has been working with some MiniArt figures recently and kindly let me know that they tend to be good so I was very pleased to find these to go with this project. 

Yesterday I got a bit of time and decided that, because I had already spent a couple of weekends painting wheels and the sides of the hull - and more is still needed on these - that I would have a break from painting and do a bit of assembling plastic! So I began work on the side fenders. The instructions just suggest fitting these rear mud flaps:

08E49AC0-28A6-4702-B319-AE9477CB6B6F

....however the review build I'm following suggests that there are other parts in the kit which can be used to make them a bit more interesting so:

A6CFF5D3-99AF-4457-AEC9-19426DFBB985

After fitting the first parts above I inflicted a bit of damage here and there before fitting the actual flaps and other parts on the fenders:

AE577A42-31F1-4A7E-BD1A-D7B743E1E3A3

A3ED73F7-6306-427C-9DE0-0C37EA59EDD8

This was all fairly straight forward to do.

I also decided to have an experiment with assembling the tracks. I have chosen to make them in sections similar to what you get when you get Link & Length Tracks in kits - rather than make up a long length and try to drape them around the wheels. It's seems fairly easy to work out the lengths and I will leave some individual links separate to go between the longer sections.

8A9F6E9F-3B6C-49FB-9320-64D4AABC1E38

24473093-7F28-4E3C-B442-E3856B37D0C1

This morning I have made up a few more links:

D7F129BD-D906-4B6C-92EA-23741C7BA6EC

...........and fitted a couple more parts to the front of the fenders:

0C16C592-B23F-487A-8529-1B86135ED931

The instructions say these should be fitted much later but the writer of the review build suggests these are much easier to fit on the fenders now rather than the hull later.

I'm going to stick with more assembling today and I'm going to start work on the rear engine deck.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

Nice work on the track so far, I'm looking forward to seeing those figures come together. As that's one of the sets, I will be using in the IV GB.

• Thanks 1

Great to see the Continental Super Soft tyres being used on this Panzer! So much better than the Michelin Full Wets that were originally planned. :lol: Oh, I'm mixing my AFVs with my F1s.

I love those tracks btw. When I made my ancient Dragon Imperial Series StuG III, I did have problems with fitting them to the drive wheel sprockets... because in that ancient kit the teeth were misaligned from one side to the other, and if you tried to line them up in one place they went out of synch in the rest! Your kit is not 25yrs old though so I expect that's no longer an issue?

Rearguards,

Badder.

• Thanks 1