P2V-7 Neptune Argentine Naval Aviation

Moggy

Hi everybody,

Five weeks ago I started building a P2V-7 Neptune.While it had been om my project list since 1989 (when I bought the Hasegawa kits and the Falcon"glass" and P2V-5 conversion) it became reality now because of a chat with a fellow modeller here in Britmodeller.
This chap was interested in, among other things, Argentine Navy markings for the grey/white P2V-7 neptunes... Since I had the same hankering I decided that I was going to crib together a decal sheet (a part of the project since the beginning since there are NO decal sheets for this subject) and share!
However... the more I looked at pictures of the original the clearer it was that the Neptunes bought in 1977 had been painted in different fonts than the standard used in other aircraft. I ended up drawing an entire sheet from scratch, including the stencils in Spanish.

Jm113iB.jpg

Sorry for the intrusive watermarking. Some of my earlier work was plagiarized wholesale and sold without so much as a by your leave... Not contented with that I was publicly vilified by the ripoff artists for protesting the theft.

He'll be doing 2-P-111 and I'll be doing 2-P-112 :)
So we'll both end up with unique models :) No risk of getting to an exhibition/competition just to find out that there's at least one chap with exactly same model as your latest pride and joy! :(

So now to the plastic! Hasegawas kit is 45 years old but fully buildable - it has better fit than any number of modern kits I could mention. It needs detailing though... and it has two errors that become very visible once pointed out (quoting Thommy Thomason - USN Aviation researcher and modeller extraordinaire). Nosewheel well is NOT centered and it is broader than the kit parts - however the nose geat itself is aligned with the fuselage centerline.

https://tailhooktopics.blogspot.no/2014/02/hasagawa-p2v-neptune-kit.html

So I widened the opening and added a 0.9 cm plastic strip on the port side to adjust the well opening

IbRPDrG.jpg

So I went on to measuring and cutting the first bulkhead (back wall in the observer's compartment

2ElZvMa.jpg

mLoxAi6.jpg

The pieces for the new wheel well

Tj0TFNB.jpg

Using part of the original wheel well was an easy way to keep the landing gear leg centered as per the original.

Here's the wheel well getting "squared" :)

HQEDKSP.jpg

Since the roof of the new wheel well is going to be the cockpit module floor I sanded the resin part very thin and then I glued plastic sheet to the bottom - making the glueing of the wheel well much simpler. I hate cyanoacrylate glue.

GQnJmyj.jpg

The measuring wheel well notes:

Z7eGv3d.jpg

And here's the finished wheel well & observer compartment before detailing

u7KBfIh.jpg

The big opening is the entry to the aircraft; the crawlway is visible just beyond. The grey plastic is what's left of the original part.

Here's a view of the three modules together and the way I used to get them to stay in place:

Gp7evAQ.jpg

A view of the whell wel in place before detailing and being glued to its place (it is NOT glued in this photo)...

WlJoTAa.png

...and the observer's compartment

BpBy7E0.jpg

After some light detailing:

bEfDMZX.jpg

And the view from the front

Lp0IrRF.jpg

Finally this is what the "Works" looks like!

NKQA4al.jpg

Cheers, Moggy

Edited by Moggy
Picture missing & typo
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Hi Moggy!

My Neppy is still in the pile, waiting its turn after a line of T-birds, a F-51 and a F-47......

That is some great work you have done on yours. I'm learning ;).

Martin

• Like 1

On 02/10/2017 at 3:54 PM, Moggy said:

This chap was interested in, among other things, Argentine Navy markings for the grey/white P2V-7 neptunes... Since I had the same hankering I decided that I was going to crib together a decal sheet (a part of the project since the beginning since there are NO decal sheets for this subject) and share!

Hi Moggy,

Highly interesting topic to me, as I my plans concerning the Neptune includes a COAN machine.

I had the chance maybe ten years ago to get an Aerocalcas COAN Neptune decals sheet (Together with a Seaking one), but sadly Aerocalcas no longer exist today.

Thanks for the tips concerning the drawbacks of the kit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Antoine said:

Hi Moggy,

Highly interesting topic to me, as I my plans concerning the Neptune includes a COAN machine.

I had the chance maybe ten years ago to get an Aerocalcas COAN Neptune decals sheet (Together with a Seaking one), but sadly Aerocalcas no longer exist today.

Thanks for the tips concerning the drawbacks of the kit.

Hi Antoine,

The Aerocalcas sheet included the 1982 camouflaged Neptune only. I know because I have one ;)

Come to think of it - I have almost all 1/72 Aerocalcas sheets. B)

So the only grey/white Neptune decal sheet is mine :)

There were 4 P2V-7 Neptunes in Argentine Naval Aviation use: 0706/2-P-110 (Bu.no.148349). 0707/2-P-111 (Bu.no.148361), 0708/2-P-112 (Bu.no.150280) and 0709/2-P-114 (Bu.no.148348).

Cheers, Moggy

While continuing working on the P2V - a few thoughts on the Eduard photoetched sheet:

I'll be using some of it... some is unusable... This shows how I see it:

All the bits in the observer's compartment - they add nicely to visual complexity AND actually exist in the 1:1 Neptune ;)

y00nu8g.jpg

h1n8v4x.jpg

The cockpit however... since I'm using the Pavla one (absolutely worth its price!) will remain unused. Maybe I'll use some levers :) The one thing I'm sure I will use are the windscreen wipers! The red rings mark the useable parts:

84lFz45.jpg

The nose wheel well is a different kettle of fish: it's almost completely a fabrication :(
Since it's based on the Hasegawa wheel well that's completely wrong in width, depth and position the basic "box" is horrible... Then it's missing the crew entrance opening together with other important openings - replacing them with dubious covers. No reinforcements, fake bulkhead, etc. And then the real landing gear leg mounting is nothing like what comes in the kit. The parts in the red rings are those I will be using; maybe one or two others to add visual complexity :) Again, the red rings mark the useable parts.

4XiZsP8.jpg

I almost forgot about the landing gear doors: I'm replacing the photoetched inner structure (part 14) with plastic rod since the pictures all show a rounded structure easily reproduced.

The main wheel wells' parts are far more useful. I plan to use the lot with the exception of the doors's inner structure. Still, the opening of the cowling flaps will open a view to an empty space - the real thing shows more pipe and tubing than an oil refinery :)
The front bulkhead shows an opening inexistent in the pics I've examined. Who knows?

z7Dy5OQ.jpg

I've promised myself not to do a real detailing job on the main wheel wells since it involves sawing off a great chunk of the wing and then building the spar box, side walls etc. Another small problem is the other LG kit failing - the LG leg has to be moved so that the combination of the leg and the wheel meet on the wheel well centerline... It's fairly easy to fix and I intend to correct it.

Now I go back to my modelling table to complete and paint the nose modules.

More to come soon!

Cheers, Moggy

Edited by Moggy
typo
  • Like 3

Well - it's the saw next! Promises broken AGAIN... :fight:

PjyRbmX.jpg

About 90 (detail) pictures later I'm beginning to see the main wheel wells in my sleep...

Meanwhile the front end beckons. ;)

Cheers, Moggy The Saw

Edited by Moggy
missing text
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Next installment: the saw in action!

I found a rather good Neptune build article in the french modelling mag "Replic" (sadly deceased and greatly missed). The drawings show the wing area to cut off and a side view showing the relative position of bulkheads and wing spars.

I chose a slightly different path after much fitting - however it greatly accelerated my understanding of things in the wheel well.

R5NLZex.jpg

sGAPtyL.jpg

The plastic is between two and three mm thick (!) with a disconcerting rubbery feeling to it. After some doing I got the opening finished.
First bulkhead on (matching the aft wing spar).

pruY62W.jpg

BTW the dome structure behind the wheel well does not divide when the flaps open - it follows the flaps in its entirety thus the flap line on it is entirely meretricious. Some filler will mend that.

Fitting top of wing  spar box & a copy of the aft bulkhead (everything gets duplicated).

JOnQ7jp.jpg

7uKULpc.jpg

Forward wing spar fitting (with its "handle" still on)

Hjno5A9.jpg

That's all for today!
Cheers,  Moggy

• Like 6

You are doing some great stuff with this kit, Moggy. Don't expect mine to be anywhere near as detailed! ;) at present she is still sat in the pile, with many other builds ahead of her. The only concession to detIl for me will be rescribing and possibly a Pavla cockpit set.

nice work. Mucho gusto!

Martin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Short update...

An easy way to an accurate cut esp. when you have to do two exactly alike:

vOIUk3Y.jpg

Spar box test & corrected landing gear leg vs. original

The original kit landing gear has the leg in center line making impossible to withdraw the landing gear (wheel would colliide with nacelle :) )

vtkgq5S.jpg

Twin wheel wells - doing them in paralell makes much easier to keep them alike

8HxdFqu.jpg

The glacial speed is a function of my "ship in a bottle" problem: the LG with associated ironmongery has to be in place BEFORE the lower nacelle is glued in place.

And here's Stormy sleeping on aviation books & model cabinet no.1 - a cat of impeccable taste!

BTW his real name is Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All (Doctor Who reference)

hCG8s73.jpg

Last weekend I was at a modelling competition in Malmö called C-4 Open doing my usual demo model building (a lot more talking to curious modellers and general public than modelling) and some light judging. No pictures I'm afraid :(

Next - either finish detailing nose modules or more LG ironmongery!

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Wheel well update!

The inner skin work:

0,2 mm plasticard fitted into kit parts

CK0aUBE.jpg

Ribs made of stretched sprue (couldn't find thin enough rod) glued onto inner skin (2mm distance between them)

AJOW2Wa.jpg

Test fit! & etched firewall in place

NSytput.jpg

Gloss grey before Alclad...

AG1ZFto.jpg

Alclad on & new fit

avhe1SQ.jpg

Final fit (not glued yet)

EHnWJv1.jpg

Firewall will remain unpainted - just a wash on since it looks just like that in all pictures. The Alclad is a bit brighter than I like... mmm

Cheers, Moggy

Edited by Moggy
typo
  • Like 10

When Martian calls it a super build, well he is being very restrained, it is brilliant modelling

I am watching this now too and it looks as if I am in for a real treat

Marvellous so far, going to be a great one

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

When Martian calls it a super build, well he is being very restrained, it is brilliant modelling

I've followed your builds for some time; I've learned a lot from them.

Praise from the praiseworthy is praise indeed. Thank you!

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Me? Restrained?  :rofl2: That's a first. Many have said that I should be restrained but to my knowledge, nobody until now has ever said that I am.

Martian

• Haha 4

The inner skin width (along the wing chord) redefines the spar box along the same line.

First some routing is in order - followed by a new longer box top and a new wider & thicker spar front:

oH0EtdR.jpg

The new spar front is 1,5 mm thick and fits like a glove! It stays in place without glue B)

Some more fitting:

8o8lFWP.jpg

Finally all basic parts fit in place and are ready for final detailing:

qGLnsXj.jpg

The difficult part of the wheel wells is now finished! Now detailing begins.

Using etch rests for detailing:

gs1wbKB.jpg

Spar box roof - scissor thingammajig belonging to the landing gear leg

MmMPIqt.jpg

More detailing to follow...

Cheers, Moggy

Edited by Moggy
typo
  • Like 6

The part I do not enjoy is the puttying of "mistakes" - :P

I often wait too long to sand off the surplus putty - letting it become as hard (at least) as the plastic itself.

Yesterday I took a short vacation from the Neptune in order to complete my DH Dove in Argentine use decal sheet.

IjJ84pv.jpg

Brits Abroad anybody? :penguin:

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 2