Fletcher Class Destroyer 1:700 (Ex PK-63) +++ Completed +++

Bonhoff

Hi All,

Here's mine....

36742561734_2aa15fe0a9_c_d.jpg

Revell re-pop of the original.

Clunkier details will be replaced with items from the spares box and some photo etch handrails.

KR's

IanJ

Edited by Bonhoff
  • Like 3

Nice, very nice. When I was young I build the HMS Kelly and was very pleased with that kit. I am very interested how this one will come out.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Made a start...

36910402724_1ebf5196be_c_d.jpg

The sprues - She'll measure approximately 16cm once built.

37588642842_a73abdc942_c_d.jpg

The hull comprises the two halves, a deck and a waterline plate. The deck has ended up slightly below the edge of the hull. my mistake. A few gaps to fill and more than a few sinkmarks on the superstructure.

37635309551_cb4c3202ef_c_d.jpg

Some more superstructure assembled - Nothing glued down to the main deck yet. 

Now need to get down to the Iancave to recover my naval spares box - Think I have better moulded gun turrets, torpedo tubes and Bofors /Oerlikon guns in there courtesy of Dragon's policy of filling their "Belleau Wood" kit with loads of extra sprues that only provide a few parts for the carrier.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 5

Good progress so far ian, I've been  looking at the fletcher class  but in 1/150,  well a toss up between that and hms rodney in 1/200 (first ship  model i built back in the day ), as a long term project with as much etch and extras as it takes,  I'll  look on here even though there's a scale difference, good luck 

Glynn 

• Thanks 1

Bit more done - Showing the Matchbox turrets at the moment, still haven't made it down the garden to the Iancave.

37622593136_6c5cbc1211_c_d.jpg

Now debating as to whether I want the additional complication of painting Measure 12 Camouflage (Splotches of grey which will need hand painting) for the "Fletcher" or just do Measure 22 (Various shades of Blue/grey but much simpler than 12) for the "Chevalier."

KR's 

IanJ

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Bonhoff said:

Now debating as to whether I want the additional complication of painting Measure 12 Camouflage (Splotches of grey which will need hand painting) for the "Fletcher" or just do Measure 22 (Various shades of Blue/grey but much simpler than 12) for the "Chevalier."

Ian - being an Aviation modeller I have no idea what the heck you're talking about!! - however am keenly watching on and learning all the same. 

She's looking rather good at the moment, it'll be good to see more as you progress through the build.   

Cheers.. Dave.    

nice work sofar. I am more of the complicated camouflage, so would have done the measure 12 camo.

But it is totaly up to you of what you want.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Dragon sprues recovered - Lots of goodies.

37705850106_d0a84f0c87_c_d.jpg

Only 4 turrets though, although at this scale I'm hoping it'll be difficult to spot the odd one out.

Next - The Oerlikon tub amidships - As this is a kit that is around the 40 Y.O mark some of the detail is a bit heavy - Like the tub still extant on the starboard side. The port one has been replaced with a piece of aluminium from the seal of a catering can of coffee - Nice and easy to cut and form.

37705848876_d109ec11c2_c_d.jpg

More as it happens.

IanJ

• Like 5

Flushed with the success of my first gun tub, the starboard midships and two tubs adjacent to B turret have received the same treatment.

37741422322_f151bfc010_c_d.jpg

And now for my secret weapon - Have been a spectacle wearer for 42 years but for the last few have not worn them for close up work - Was shopping in Aldi this weekend and found these bad boys...

37741425962_deeb840053_c_d.jpg

2.5x magnification reading glasses for £2.50 - Perfect for those close up and personal moments, can't believe the difference they've made.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 2

More substitution of the originals with more modern items...

37848215202_0aba15256a_c_d.jpg

Twin 40mm Bofors mounting - Matchbox attached to the sprue - Replacement made from a cut down Quad Bofors mount  from the Dragon spares.

37848216522_97562c2a81_c_d.jpg

2 No. 20mm Cannon in the jaws of the tweezers, originals on sprue.

At this rate it'll just be the hull, superstructure and decks left from the original PK-63!

Kind regards

IanJ

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more done - The little marks indicated by the pencil tip are meant to be the depth charge projectors, ready use bin for additional charges and the davits to load them.

38106921212_41af11f4cf_c_d.jpg

Might be able to improve on that...

38083667336_7e531426d9_c_d.jpg

Charge boxes on deck (Although in retrospect perhaps a bit undersized), charges made from 0.7mm pencil lead on styrene projectors and davits made from staples to be inserted in the drilled holes later.

And I'd better call a stop to the messing around detailing at that point otherwise it'll never get finished.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Some progress,

Basic ship built up and brush painted in "Measure 21" camouflage - Courtesy of Vallejo "Luftwaffe Uniform" for the Navy Blue 5-N vertical surfaces and Vallejo "Dark Bluegrey" for the decks.

24027689977_482444685b_c_d.jpg

24027687477_c5cda5f016_c_d.jpg

Hopefully not long to final fit-out...

KR's 

IanJ

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Fit out progressing well, whether we get handrails done before the deadline is another matter altogether...

39909029751_c2d305ac8e_c_d.jpg

39909027051_a85a0d339c_c_d.jpg

Turrets are the original MB ones with the sink marks filled - Only had 4 Dragon ones. 

Torpedo tubes, Ship's Boats/Davits, Radar atop rangefinder and mast are Dragon , stanchions supporting the AA rangefinder tub between C and D turrets are cut down staples and the stern mounted depth charge rails are the original MB items.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 4