Vickers Wellesley

Greg in OK

I've never seen that illustration before, the artist has painted the prop in an interesting position- usually the single blade is up. Never mind, it's a great picture, and an interesting type, such a shame that it's been almost forgotten.

Nice choice, I tried (and tried) to get a Matchbox Wellesley (having made one as a boy) but gave up and bought a Valom one, so I'd like to follow your build.

On 2 October 2017 at 5:16 AM, Rob G said:

I've never seen that illustration before, the artist has painted the prop in an interesting position- usually the single blade is up. Never mind, it's a great picture, and an interesting type, such a shame that it's been almost forgotten.

The Wellesley had a three-blade propeller...

d3c9d63072f5b8880ab65d5d77736d4d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

I think what Rob means; usually in the illustrations of three blade props in motion, one of the three is to the top whilst the other two are at 4 and 8 o'clock

Re-reading his post, I see what you mean.

• Like 1

On 6 October 2017 at 1:26 AM, Rob G said:

Yeah, what BK said. There's every possibility that I didn't communicate my thoughts very well.

There is, also, every possibility that you did but I failed to understand.

Edited by Beard
to correct text.

It is a great looking plane and it will be an attractive result for sure.

Some weeks ago i missed an auction of the first boxing but the price went through the ceilling.

Maybe i will go with Valom as well but i think the Matchbox kit is more fun to build.

23 hours ago, BerndM said:

It is a great looking plane and it will be an attractive result for sure.

Some weeks ago i missed an auction of the first boxing but the price went through the ceilling.

Maybe i will go with Valom as well but i think the Matchbox kit is more fun to build.

You’ve just reminded me that I have one in storage, covered in dust, far away Bernd. I thought that they wouldn’t be worth anything :confused: .

This is a great choice Greg. The way Matchbox reproduced the geodetic pattern is very effective. It’s a great build afair. Huge wingspan for a single engined Aircraft.

I associate the Wellesley with the desert and long distance flights; it always looked very pioneering and futuristic for its time to me. Really individual.

Looking forward to this (and rescuing mine from storage; to build :))

:popcorn: 

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

You’ve just reminded me that I have one in storage, covered in dust, far away Bernd. I thought that they wouldn’t be worth anything :confused: .

This is a great choice Greg. The way Matchbox reproduced the geodetic pattern is very effective. It’s a great build afair. Huge wingspan for a single engined Aircraft.

I associate the Wellesley with the desert and long distance flights; it always looked very pioneering and futuristic for its time to me. Really individual.

Looking forward to this (and rescuing mine from storage; to build :))

:popcorn: 

Best regards 

TonyT

Tony, Matchbox kits in a good condition have a worth for collectors, the good old 1:700 HMS Exeter was priced well above 100€ ( incl free shipping ! ) on Ebay.

Aircraft kits like the Wellesley are way cheaper but i have a red line ( These are old kits after all ) So i look for good bargains.

I also agree about the kit and the design of the aircraft, the long span for long range flights, a bubble top fighter style canopy and the bomb bays as well shaped underwing stores were well ahead of the time.

Matchbox made created a lovely Surface on this kit and the Wellington.

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

Matchbox kits in a good condition have a worth for collectors, the good old 1:700 HMS Exeter was priced well above 100€ ( incl free shipping ! ) on Ebay.

..... Phew!! - I was only looking at the Matchbox back catalogue and thought that a ship build would be something quite different - perhaps the HMS Exeter from River Plate fame could be an option?... If its as rare as mentioned, then I might have to look at something else.

Cheers.. Dave.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

..... Phew!! - I was only looking at the Matchbox back catalogue and thought that a ship build would be something quite different - perhaps the HMS Exeter from River Plate fame could be an option?... If its as rare as mentioned, then I might have to look at something else.

Cheers.. Dave.  

A ship is a great idea, the best is to have a look around for well priced kits.

This here is is completely beyond me:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Matchbox-HMS-EXETER-B-CLASS-Heavy-Cruiser-Scale-1-700-ovp-/202066884264?hash=item2f0c1ff6a8:g:GeMAAOSwdGFYzZBE

Maybe go for the HMS Ariadne, i am consider it as long it is for cheap. 

Cheers

Edit: No free shipping for the Exeter. AFAIK Fly Hawk will do a 1942 Exeter so your River Plate project is just a question of time.

Edited by BerndM
  • Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:25 PM, Greg in OK said:

Matchbox_Wellesley.jpg

I will be in with this.

Greg in OK

Are you going for a regular squadron machine or the L.R.D.U. version?

Chris

I love the cowl on the standard machine so it will be one of those...no disrespect to the long range flight record (which if I remember correctly finally fell to the B-29) but I just like the cowl's looks better.

Greg in OK

• Like 1

• 4 months later...