Vickers Wellington B X

rafalbert

I am in with the Revell boxing of the old Wimpey kit which builds up rather nicely. I also have the original Matchbox decals so will build it as though it was straight fron the classic box.

Dave

• Like 3

Obligatory box pic, along with the original Matchbox decals. It will be finished in the Bomber Command scheme though which aircraft I have not decided on yet. I am still finishing a Beaufighter TFX for the Radials GB (to which I have decided to do some stupid things) and replacing the bathroom so this may have a slow start. I have to say many thanks for organising this; seeing the GB proposed last year inspired me to join 3 others this year using Matchbox kits, which has seriously restarted my building mojo!

IMG_20171002_201127

• Like 9

Great choice, Matchbox kits are great for recovering the modelling mojo.

I have the Matchbox kit without decals, box and instructions, compared with the new Trumpeter Wellington Mk.Ic the fabric surfaces look really good and not so overdone but no match in details which is normal for the age of the kit.

Happy modelling with this one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have finally made a start on the old girl after fighting with the bathroom. My inital plan was to improve the cockpit but due to the delay in starting and the fact that the visibility of the cockpit area is poor I am going to be lazy and build it as per the kit (without the second seat). The interior has been painted, and although the pinky colour is a bit too brown it should be ok through the fuselage windows. More to follow!

IMG_20171018_095427

• Like 6

Great to see another Matchbox Wimpy being built (is that 3 now?). I too agree that the fabric covered surfaces of this and the Wellesley were highlights of these two classic kits and stand up to the very latest being offered today. 

Looking forward to seeing this one assembled and displayed in the gallery. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

Cheers Dave,

The fabric effects are excellent, and I am hoping it builds up as well as I remember. I am annoyed it has taken me so long to get started as I expected to be much further along by now, but hopefully I will be able to crack on and make a decent job of it. I have other Matchbox kits in the stash waiting to join in :evil_laugh:

Don’t be too hard on yourself there Dave. The main thing is that you're in this GB and made a start. I’ll bet you 2 x Purple Range kits that you’ll be finished before I even get to slap paint on my Tempest!! 

This GB has certainly stirred my interest and love of Matchbox kits. I keep getting flashbacks of visiting my childhood LHS and spending hours looking at the box art, reading the small printed captions on the bottom and then flipping over to the back and viewing the suggested paint schemes - Those where the days! 

Cheers .. Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. Having issues with the fuselage. This keeps happening:

IMG_20171102_195843

In all my years of modelling this has never happened before, and this is the sixth time it has separated on me. I used my trusty old Humbrol poly for the first few times, tried Revell, and now I have bought Tamiya cement so we will see what happens this time. If all else fails I will resort to superglue. This Wellington has nearly gotten airborne several times, most likely through the window...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Hmmm. Having issues with the fuselage. This keeps happening:

IMG_20171102_195843

In all my years of modelling this has never happened before, and this is the sixth time it has separated on me. I used my trusty old Humbrol poly for the first few times, tried Revell, and now I have bought Tamiya cement so we will see what happens this time. If all else fails I will resort to superglue. This Wellington has nearly gotten airborne several times, most likely through the window...

I`ve had the same with my two mate,...... strange isn`t it! Maybe add some plastic card along the inside seams and re glue,.... that is what I`d do next time,

Good luck,

Tony

• Like 2

did you wash the sprues?  Matchbox kits, great as they were always had a tendency with me back in the day for paint to craze, which i never had with other makes.  Looking back I wonder if Matchbox used a different mould release that bothered Humbrol or Airfix enamels?  could be something related?  Or they used a subtly different polystyrene?

Cheers

Will

• Like 2

Hi Will, I have indeed and rubbed the paint off the edges to make sure that isn't a problem. This is the Revell re-issue with just the dark green plastic, but it feels the same as the Matchbox kits so I assume it is the same. Anyway, it seems to be holding with the Tamiya so fingers crossed....

• Like 2

Someone gave me a Squadron set of canopies a few years ago (which included the Wellington) minus the Anson set. I was going to use them but unfortunately the tail turret was missing and I have managed to slice the front turret whilst trimming it down. I still may use the cockpit canopy and the bomb aimers window, and will probably buy replacements for the kit turrets in the future.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...