1/18 Fairey Firefly VX376

10 hours ago, airscale said:

WIP80_zpsgf8xbnba.jpg

Its not a Firebox seat.

I've got a spare seat sitting under the aeroplane, I'll get some pics but its a fortnight til I'm back there.

• Like 1

Superb as usual Peter great details .

Guy

• Like 1

On 30/10/2017 at 19:20, airscale said:

..started to think about the seat - I found this pic when I was doing the HpH Hornet and now I look again at it I am 100% convinced it is from a Firefly - I have a few views of it..

Peter there are a set of photos here of the cockpit of a Firefly AS 6. It may help you determine if the photos you have are of a Firefly seat. It does looks to be similar but I'm not 100% convinced. The fitting on the front edge of the seat is missing in this photo of the AS 6 seat. Possibly you have photos of the same type of seat but from a different aircraft?

Dave

Edited by dave665
  • Like 1

On 31/10/2017 at 5:47 AM, NAVY870 said:

Its not a Firebox seat.

I've got a spare seat sitting under the aeroplane, I'll get some pics but its a fortnight til I'm back there.

Thanks Steve - typically I got that wrong - thanks for saving me the effort of building the wrong seat :)

On 01/11/2017 at 2:44 PM, dave665 said:

Peter there are a set of photos here of the cockpit of a Firefly AS 6. It may help you determine if the photos you have are of a Firefly seat. It does looks to be similar but I'm not 100% convinced. The fitting on the front edge of the seat is missing in this photo of the AS 6 seat. Possibly you have photos of the same type of seat but from a different aircraft?

Dave

On 01/11/2017 at 5:47 PM, dave665 said:

Also found photos of a Vampire seat that look very similar. It has a part no of AS 2142, but the Firefly seat could be AS 2112 according to a forum post.

Dave

superb Dave - thanks - your references are always so helpful in my builds - much appreciated :)

..the bits I have been working on lately are mainly bulkheads and part of the observers station..

first the rearmost bulkhead - this is a sandwich of one full thickness PE, one etched layer with details and another peripheral piece carrying the rivet & bracing strap detail for that..

WIP81_zps24xfrxpz.jpg

..similar story for the forward bulkhead, though this has some additional parts - the rear solid part has one big hole in it to allow all the little fixing holes in the detailed layer to be seen without being blanked off...

WIP82_zpsp8ipipct.jpg

,,after assembly & detailing with structural parts - you can see all the little holes :) ...

WIP83_zps33wsisyy.jpg

..having made it I had some trouble with the skin fitting correctly to the mid-section, and also the sheet I used to skin this section was too thin & had started to settle in like fabric on stringers - so off it came & it was re-skinned.. if ever something is not quite right, it's best to just do it again :)

WIP86_zps0gbi6cmb.jpg

WIP87_zpsi0vbbisx.jpg

..the observers position itself is defined by a flat area - again layers of PE..

WIP85_zpselsawasp.jpg

..it needs structural rigidity so some brass square stock was CA'd to keep it flat & rigid - also some plastic cross members to give something for the edging strip to bond to..

WIP89_zps9numhure.jpg

..then the strip running around the inside to look like the real one.. this is just a strip of litho I have started to put bends in...

WIP88_zpsyqhawt9w.jpg

..and the finished section with a small seat belt fixing added at the rear....

WIP90_zpsnssutcwm.jpg

..and all these parts start to give some definition to the crew areas..

WIP91_zpskucnaueq.jpg

WIP92_zpsvxf9qugj.jpg

WIP95_zpshojsywsz.jpg

WIP93_zpswpscyok5.jpg

WIP94_zpsybcbk2wt.jpg

Telford soon so hope to see everyone there - I think I will put this on the 32SIG/LSP stand on the WIP bit as is tradition with my projects :) Please drop by my stand in Hall 2 to say hello :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 16

Incredible work on this and the Spitfire. I missed the Tigercat as it was before i joined Britmodeller. 

Looking at your work im reminded of Pete Townshend's conversation with Eric Clapton in 1966. Paraphrasing what i have seen and heard over the years about this subject. Upon seeing Jimi Hendrix Pete Townshend insisted Eric go see the new American guitarist. After they watched him play. Eric said to Pete “ We either have to get a whole lot better, or we need to find real jobs.”

i feel that way about your scratchbuilding. You sir are a modelbuilder not an assembler. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks :)

So, back at the bench after the tumultuous week that was Telford :)

Thanks again to everyone for saying hello & offering congrats - I still can't believe I won best in show :)

Moving on, I had a waver at the show thinking maybe the Firefly was maybe too ambitious and talking to Mirek from HpH I was thinking maybe do another of their kits instead as I like the polished metal effect and that scheme simply does noit exist on a Firefly - that soon passed, and pleased to say I am now back focussed and cracking on :)

..first up, I decided to get to an airfame so I can wallow in the detail further down the line - I learned on my Spit that doing things out of order is tricky as I spent a long time protecting work I had already done, so in this case I want wings...

..started with the root aerofoil section in brass to act as a template - just scaled it and stuck it to some sheet,...

WIP96_zpsmfpmrlqw.jpg

..cut them out with a slitting disc and put both together to get a consistent shape - always work in pairs when doing this sort of thing...

WIP97_zps59qbriff.jpg

..then made a paper template to find the right position to sit accross the spars - I got this wrong and it needed some reworking after - I use scaled photo's & plans to make sure the position & incidence is right..

WIP98_zpslbndw8av.jpg

..also soldered in the plates that will support the main gear - this was done as you see it so the position of the slide in wing spars is perfect..

WIP99_zpsql2ocxg5.jpg

..then traced two wing blanks onto 3mm plastic card - again as a pair - I ended up cutting off the radiator sections afterwards..

WIP100_zpso42jitoh.jpg

..these were then carefully positioned & marked out on the plan so I could let them into the wing spars.. - also cut away the trailing edge at the flap so I could insert brass sheet for a nice sharp trailing edge..

WIP102_zps3jl4sclo.jpg

..soon had two slide on wings :)

WIP101_zpsxhvvwq7m.jpg

..added aerofoil sections - seen with the black outline...

WIP103_zpssg1vqam1.jpg

WIP104_zpsajl3swei.jpg

WIP105_zpsxlu9gc5e.jpg

..and these now are a good tight fit and sit well against the plan..

WIP106_zpsaymeayp1.jpg

..next I will sheath in balsa before adding wood hardener and shaping down to the aerofoil sections..

back soon

TTFN

Peter

• Like 21

The beauty of watching you work Peter is that you make the most out of simple things.  3mm card as the core with brass trailing edges.  Balsa sheathing with hardener.  Awesome stuff and inviting as materials for anyone to get their feet wet!

Brilliant as usual!!

PR

• Like 2

On 11/19/2017 at 12:38 PM, airscale said:

Moving on, I had a waver at the show thinking maybe the Firefly was maybe too ambitious

Somehow, I don't think so Peter! Always a pleasure watching your work take shape - the journey is as riveting as the final product is impressive.

Matt

• Like 1