1/18 Fairey Firefly VX376

That didn't take long Peter!

Nice choice of subject for your new build. The TT variant of the Firefly Mk5 could offer up some challenges. But with a few still in existence for reference there should be no stopping you. Looking forward to see how you approach this one.

Dave

• Like 1

On 01/10/2017 at 11:02 PM, CJP said:

This is going to be a really interesting build - the Spitfire got us entranced so a Firefly will be great - Steve Long would be a good source of references for RAN Firefly's - not forgetting that Paul Fisher is working on a 1/32 Firefly kit to go with the Sea Fury - things are looking up - if only Wolfpack would get their act together and finally produce the 1/48 resin Firefly wingfolds!

CJP

I have been speaking to Paul Fisher and hope to help him out with the kit as a 1/32 Firefly would be a most welcome addition. I also spoke to Steve Long who sent me the most amazing set of reference pics from VX388 so I pretty much have what I need to get cracking :)

On 02/10/2017 at 6:20 PM, Nickthebrief said:

Peter,

Like so many others, I was enthralled by your Spitfire build and cannot wait to see how this one progresses.

I sense you're well on your way with a TT5 - but there was an all over silver Mk IV (apart from anti-glare panel) - TW692 which features in a couple of photos - one I think in the Warpaint book...? Again, I think the silver was probably painted rather than natural metal - and I would think the yellow/black undersides and target towing gear of the TT5 would be really eye catching.... But I wouldn't want you to get to the end and then think "I should have done THAT one!"

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Cheers,

Nick.

Thanks Nick - I will have to have a look at that one - I wish there was one in true NMF, but I think I will find they are all painted...

On 03/10/2017 at 3:07 AM, hairystick said:

Oh goodness! Here we go again.:D

"Somewhere, a little Tigercat waits..." (I really was expecting progress to resume on that little gem.)

Ah the Tigercat - it is in a holding pattern for now as it needs about 6 moths work to finish it and at the moment the time is not right. I have not forgotten about it and in fact it is how I learned to do what I can now do with scratchbuilding & metalwork so will always be very special to me :)

As far as this model goes though, I am still making PE - its nearly finished now & I have made virtually every component that can be seen inside and most of the panels & hatches outside - this is the interior fret before full layout where everything is attatched to each other...

WIP12_zpseaqbal06.jpg

I hope to get these made up next week along with the second fret with all the airframe parts & actually the plan is hopefully some of this can be repurposed for the Fisher kit, though I know Paul plans a number of variants & this is basically everything in a TT Mk5

..also next week I want to get started on the fuselage, so hope to see things start to take shape then :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 14

10 hours ago, airscale said:

I have been speaking to Paul Fisher and hope to help him out with the kit as a 1/32 Firefly would be a most welcome addition. I also spoke to Steve Long who sent me the most amazing set of reference pics from VX388 so I pretty much have what I need to get cracking :)

As far as this model goes though, I am still making PE - its nearly finished now & I have made virtually every component that can be seen inside and most of the panels & hatches outside - this is the interior fret before full layout where everything is attatched to each other...

WIP12_zpseaqbal06.jpg

I hope to get these made up next week along with the second fret with all the airframe parts & actually the plan is hopefully some of this can be repurposed for the Fisher kit, though I know Paul plans a number of variants & this is basically everything in a TT Mk5

..also next week I want to get started on the fuselage, so hope to see things start to take shape then :)

TTFN

Peter

Cheers Peter - with you all combing your collective skills it bodes well for your Firefly model and Paul Fishers 1/32 Firefly kit - cant wait

CJP

• Like 2

I enjoyed your outstanding Spitfire build and this is a build closer to my heart Peter, so a double treat for the year , or two. As always we will stand in awe of the skills and shared techniques that you cast before us mere mortals. All power to your modelling fingers!

• Like 1

evening ladies :)

so, some plastic has been cut and finally this build gets started...

I have been thinking about how to build out the fuselage and knew I would use a keel & formers - because it is so big, I can't really vacform over the shape (even in sections), so the fuselage I make is the one that will be skinned

I toyed with what to use and settled for 2mm acrylic - in the UK it is called Perspex. The advantage I thought was it is pretty flat, pretty strong and in what might be genius or folly it is clear so I could just put it over the plan and scribe the outline...

like so.....here the sheet is taped over the plan...

WIP16_zpsqaqicbu1.jpg

..its hard to photograph on my bench, but I ended up with the main outline and former positions marked up..

WIP17_zpsvdgps5l0.jpg

..it works quite well so far...

WIP18_zpsiowqpwjc.jpg

..then in a very dusty session with a dremel cutting disc I cut out the outline - some sense of size can be seen from the pot of Tamiya...

WIP19_zpsbqmglnri.jpg

..I cut out the areas for the pilot and observers position so this forms the boundaries of those areas. I intend to add thick card formers and fill in between with balsa block. Balsa is really easy to shape and if coated with wood hardener (sold in DIY shops to treat rotten timber) it goes pretty hard at the end of the process. That way once I have shaped the whole thing I should be able to remove these whole sections so I can slot in the detailed cockpits as 'pods' like I did on my Spitfire and skin over the sides of them.

I am kind of making this up as I go in case you hadn't noticed...

WIP20_zpsjh7d2t0l.jpg

..for the formers themselves, I transferred them into coreldraw so I could scale them just undersize and remove 2mm from the middle of each to allow for the keel...

WIP15_zpsehvhjubz.jpg

..these are then printed true size and will be cut from 1.5mm plastic card..

WIP21_zpsz67hsll3.jpg

..lastly, after weeks of work, the PE has gone off to PPD for etching - its about £50 - £60 for a bespoke A4 sized job but considering I have virtually every component visible in the cockpit it saves months of work, and is way more accurate..you should try it..

first all the internal parts - bulkheads, switchgear, the IP, radiators etc

WIP13_zpsnefwgikn.jpg

and a second sheet with all the external panels, hatches, parts of the U/C doors, seatbelt fittings, winch brackets and the curved things are internal fuselage formers - I think I can bend these into a Z shape and they should save a lot of difficult fabrication...

WIP22_zpsmnf0rttf.jpg

..so thats it - I feel like I am underway now and actually making up the fuselage shouldn't take too long :)

10 hours ago, John Aero said:

I have a dimensioned works drawing (with sections) for the ML Type G winch.

John

Holy Moly John, I will definately take a look at those if thats ok - my email is info(at)airscale.co.uk :)

TTFN

Peter

Edited by airscale
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

evening folks :)

I just had either a major brain fart that means I am slightly potty, or a stroke of genius :)

..before we get to that, I spent today making all the fuselage formers... used the printouts to score and break out the shapes, removed the 2mm strip from the centre and then balanced each one with each other by clamping together in a vice and shaping as one...

WIP23_zps938rfpds.jpg

..soon had them all done...

WIP24_zpsi68lkurb.jpg

..now about that idea...

I have two challenges - 1) the perspex keel is actually quite flexible along its length and I was a bit worried that even balsa packing & glue won't make it 100% rigid and true as it is when it lies on my bench. For this reason I would have to make up one side with formers & balsa and then flip it over to do the other side once it had stabilised.. 2) if I do want to put this in the Telford comp one day it needs to be predominately plastic - the rules do say something about that so a plastic keel with balsa, skinned with metal is not really compliant...

..then the brain fart...

what about this...

WIP25_zpsxfbb1fmg.jpg

WIP26_zpscudshiju.jpg

..Lego :)... it will make it super rigid, it is plastic, and all I need to do is contour the surface with P40 automotive filler :)

..for now I think it is bloody clever, but am going to sleep on it before I commit..

just thought I would mention it hehe

TTFN

Peter

• Like 16

Yes. Good idea. I have long thought that carefully concealed LEGO blocks and other LEGO bits and pieces have many possible uses in scale modelling, especially if you want to make a model that is modular and can be broken apart and rejoined at will throughout construction. LEGO is also very good for ensuring truely right-angled corners are achieved. I am highly likely to use it extensively in my next project and will watch your use of it with great interest. 👍

• Like 3

What about filling the spaces between the formers with plastic foam? There's green florist foam, urethane insulation foam in a spray can, or the dense blue foam sheet used to insulate concrete foundations in new home construction. All easily contoured with sandpaper. For a 1/18 scale model, the blue foam insulation is probably most suitable.

• Like 1

Oh my those PE sheet designs have already got me drooling with anticipation!

On 10/10/2017 at 20:45, airscale said:

I have virtually every component visible in the cockpit it saves months of work, and is way more accurate..you should try it..

Peter you've already sold me on the benefits of you doing your own PE. Just look at the results on the outside and inside of Race #80 !!!

On the Lego idea... It looks like it could work from the photo. But I would have concerns over how rigid the final structure would be. You are introducing yet another type of plastic. ABS I believe. You may need something like Plasweld to join acrylic and abs together along with the styrene. May do a better job than the likes of super glue.

Have you thought of putting some lateral bracing on the perspex keel to give it some rigidity? Are there any Lego bricks suitable for the job? Are you thinking of using perspex in the wings as well? How will you attach and stiffen them?

Even bigger question... Will the wings be foldable?

Dave

• Like 2

Wow, a cunning plan! It's beginning to look like one of the balsa flying models I used to build as a small boy. 

If Leggo is the same material as Plastruct ( ABS plastic ) then Tamiya Green Cap should work, a tip given to me by Spitfire Ced.

John

• Like 2

What a great start Peter. I like the novel approach to the fuselage.

Well, now that you've got the Firefly boxed off, what will you be building next?

Only kidding. I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress.

• Like 1