Pz.IV STGB - we now have the required 25 signed up members!!

PlaStix

Down in the GB section we're trying to get an AFV STGB through to 25 votes. AFV GBs are relatively rare* but as of Sunday October 1st we only need 10 more people to sign up. Smuts put forward the idea of a Pz IV STGB back in April 2016! In his original post he pointed out:

“lets face it it was the backbone of the PanzerWaffe.

The STGB could cover all versions from conception to the closing days of the war.

It would also include the spinoffs that used the same chassis/powerplant, like the StuGIV's, flak wagons, Hornisse/ Nashorn / Hummel/ Jagdpanzers/ and Bergenpanzers.

BTW... they were used by the French & eastern european armies, they were active with Arab forces in the middle east too....so a good scope :banghead:

So if you are an armour builder or someone who fancies a change then why not stop by the GB section and sign up?

Kind regards,

Stix

* There is the M3/M4 GB lined up for the end of this year.

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I thought it was a Panzer IV STGB 😉 ? 

Well spotted! You are quite correct! I'm currently building a Pz III so it was in my head when I was typing this up.

I have edited the post now. Thank you for the quick headsup.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, PlaStix said:

same chassis/powerplant, like the StuGIV's, flak wagons, Hornisse/ Hummel/ Jagdpanzers/ and Bergenpanzers.

Don't forget the Nashorn!:D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Badder said:

Don't forget the Nashorn!:D

Hi Badder. I might be wrong but wasn't the Hornisse another name of the Nashorn? I think the Hornisse was renamed Nashorn later in ‘44. It may be that's what smuts was thinking of in his first post - a copy of which is above.

I have amended my first post above but I cannot edit Andy's post in the actual GB thread.

Kind regards,

Stix

11 minutes ago, PlaStix said:
3 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Badder. I might be wrong but wasn't the Hornisse another name of the Nashorn? I

You are quite correct Stix.  The original name Hornisse (Hornet) was later thought to be a bit whimpy...  conjuring images of a pesky little stinger rather than a big, powerful and deadly threat, so it was changed to Nashorn (Rhinoceros, for those who don't know)

I did know that, but I insist it be called the Nashorn, rather than the discredited Hornisse.:D

I mean, imagine going into the airy-fairy forum and demanding all the Spitfires be called Shrews!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Well @Steve_farrier im a noob at them myself so i will give it a try. You sign up for a build with a specific theme, in this case it Panzer IV’s.  Then when the time comes you start by doing a work in progress thread showing your work. And you have a set time limit to finish. With this build being single type its 90 days i believe.  And ultimately it gets done, and everyone votes on there favorite build(s). Im told sometimes there are prizes but not sure ? 

If you go down to the groupbuild section you might find more than one to sign up for. HTH 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Additional
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well @Steve_farrier im a noob at them myself so i will give it a try. You sign up for a build with a specific theme, in this case it Panzer IV’s.  Then when the time comes you start by doing a work in progress thread showing your work. And you have a set time limit to finish. With this build being single type its 90 days i believe.  And ultimately it gets done, and everyone votes on there favorite build(s). Im told sometimes there are prizes but not sure ? 

If you go down to the groupbuild section you might find more than one to sign up for. HTH 

Dennis

Hi Dennis. Thank you for replying to Steve - your explanation is great! :thumbsup:

At the moment there isn't a sponsor for this GB but if we get enough people signed up and it goes ahead then we could see if anyone is interested in being a sponsor.

3 hours ago, BerndM said:

Count me in, hopefully i can improve my results in coming GBs.

Great stuff Bernd - you are on the list.

36 minutes ago, Steve_farrier said:

Oh sounds cool!! I'll have to see what's about then. Thank you. 

Cant commit to this one yet until I've done some research ;-) 

Hi Steve. I hope you do decide to take part. I find GBs help motivate me - especially to try making kits I wouldn't normally think off. I was very much an aircraft builder when I started the D-Day GB but ended up making a couple of 1/72nd armour kits for that GB and discovered I thoroughly enjoyed building tanks!

Please let us know if you require any further information.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Might well be interested in this one Stix, but don't as yet have a kit. I do have a good friend going to Japan next month who has offered to bring me stuff back and I was thinking of asking for one of Tamiya's 1/48 Panzer IV's (amongst other things!) and was wondering if their Ausf H could be backdated to build an Afrika Korps Ausf F-2/G, I know very little about armour but I have liked Panzer III's and IV's (and Sdkfz 251's) since building lots of 1/72 and 1/76 kits of them as a kid and any help would be gratefully received.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Might well be interested in this one Stix, but don't as yet have a kit. I do have a good friend going to Japan next month who has offered to bring me stuff back and I was thinking of asking for one of Tamiya's 1/48 Panzer IV's (amongst other things!) and was wondering if their Ausf H could be backdated to build an Afrika Korps Ausf F-2/G, I know very little about armour but I have liked Panzer III's and IV's (and Sdkfz 251's) since building lots of 1/72 and 1/76 kits of them as a kid and any help would be gratefully received.

The Ausf. H is considered the penultimate Panzer IV by critics. It is closely related to the G as it is a direct descendent with modifications made based on actual combat experience. To back date an H to an early G in Africa, one must first losie the schurzen.  another really visible change it the commander's cupola and hatch. The H has a one piece commanders hatch. This was only first introduced with the late G models. For a G in Tunisia you need a cupola with a two piece hatch. One last issue is tracks. Early G's wore the 40cm track without ice cleats and hollow guide horns. *edit* The G has a slightly different muzzle brake as well. You could get an aftermarket barrel or simply leave it alone. Also some G's and H's had two cylindrical air filters on the right rear fender. These are not seen in photos of G models in Africa. 

Tracks.

pz4links_zpsi6s1puqp.jpg

African G models were painted in RAL 8020 with 7027 camo patterns. Most came to Africa late in the campaign with the 10 Panzer Division. 

pz4tunisia_zpsgfpoi98w.jpg

G

Edited by AgentG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, AgentG said:

The Ausf H is considered the penultimate Panzer IV by critics.

Hi Agent, (Gary? Sorry I think I've forgotten your name!:blush:)

When you say 'penultimate', do you mean it was the 2nd from last  variation of the tank and that there was an Ausf i, or do you mean it was the 2nd best in performance? ;)

Rearguards,

Badder.

Oh and COME ON MODELLING MINION!

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

It's nice to be wanted! Guess I'd best get a Panzer IV then.

Excellent news! I will add you to the list! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1