This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Mancunian airman

Help: Need TV tech to pick your brains

I have a Toshiba TV and I have an issue that 'popped up' yesterday.

I dont know how or why it appeared but I have a message that is central on the screen  and reads alternate

Dongle detected

Dongle removed

I don't have a dongle, dont know what it doe,s so am at a lost as to have to remove the said messages.

I have removed the tv from the wall ie disconnected it with a view of 'reboot' , tried the MENU button and looked at settings so I am thinking what might be next ???

Over to you chaps

Ian

do you connect to 'tinternet on it? if so maybe re-set up your router connection...just a guess :) 

To be honest I was trying to connect a Wifi extender as previously a Firestick was showing poor Internet strength; the Firestick wasn't in when trying to connect the extender.

I am now wondering, having spoke to my sister, if it a case that it has to be a 'Smart tv' to connect a Wifi extender although the 'Chromecast' works OK upstairs without one ??

Ian

Posted (edited)

The Firestick is the dongle..It was in, you removed it. See what happens if you put it back in.

Edited by bzn20

Posted (edited)

A "Dongle" is a generic term that means "an electronic  "stick" that connects (plugs into) a "port". e.g a Firestick.

It might have a connector (extension) cable if the plug in port is small and the dongle is slightly larger but the dongle is usually at the end of the cable, it doesn't lead to anything else. 

As Bzn20 says, try removing / reconnecting the Firestick (the "dongle").

Edited by Murdo

Posted (edited)

There is a default setting in menu/settings usually. Might have the spanner or gear cog icon. I've got Samsungs and Sharpes TVs both have the default/factory setting choice.

As for reset hole..

BUZZZT pft and lights go out!

Edited by bzn20