PK409 Dornier Do-18D update ### Finished 4-1-2018 ###

Arniec

As the host I can't stay behind with what I want to build. So out came the stash of Matchbox kits.:whistle:

IMG_4146

And then I found it. The Dornier Do-18G-1. I bought it for about 15 quid a few years ago. As I will build it also for the Water and floatplane GB. This will be needed to be started first.

The top cover

IMG_4147

the back cover.

IMG_4148

I have chosen to do scheme 1.

Here is the content of the box.

IMG_4150IMG_4151IMG_4152IMG_4149

The decals still looks very decent with their protective sheet of paper on it.

Here is the manual and something extra to replace the mg's.

IMG_4153

So here it is.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 18

Hi Arnold

..interesting looking stash. There's some real 'clunkers' there I guess. But this one looks quite nice. I have an old Frank Marshall build-and-detail article in an ancient copy of Scale Aircraft Modelling if interested

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

Hi Arnold

..interesting looking stash. There's some real 'clunkers' there I guess. But this one looks quite nice. I have an old Frank Marshall build-and-detail article in an ancient copy of Scale Aircraft Modelling if interested

I am always interested. Thanxs. 

I will send you a PM.

Cheers,

What a Matchbox stash :frantic: !

I’m a huge fan of Dornier aircraft of all kinds; the venerable Matchbox kit is also a favourite.

Mine is rather broken, part built, very neglected, in a plastic bag in the wardrobe :weep:.

I’m looking forward to this build 

:popcorn: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

I’m surprised that I haven’t sent you a comment yet about that great photograph of your Matchbox stash. Wow - what a trip back into memory lane. You should really display these on a shelf in typical Hobby Shop fashion. Imagine walking into a room within your very home and thinking that you were 10 , 15 or whatever youthful age once again. I’ve often wished that I could just go back to the late seventies or early eighties just for one day to rekindle that Magical period, however I probably wouldn’t be able to jump onto my phone and post my thoughts on BM - would I!! 

We’ve certainly come a long way, however I’m glad that pictures like this still generate a level of excitement in an slightly aging chap like myself.. 

Thanks for hosting Arniec and I’ll promise to join in the next few days now that I’ve got a few days off work. 

Cheers and best of modelling luck with the Do18.. Dave

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thanxs guys. I hope to start it tonight.

I know what you mean Modelling Minion with the A-20. O have loved that box art always. I have also got the decals from green hornet in 1/48.:D

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It took a little bit longer to start this build, but it is started now.

Here are the first pictures. As I am doing this one almost out of the box it will go fast.

The interior given a coat of RLM02.

IMG_4173

As you could see I also placed the stubs on the fuselage.It isn't a great fit, but that will be taken care of later.

IMG_4174

The engine pod was made at the same time.

IMG_4177

And here is the fuselage closed with some tape and clamps to keep it tightly closed.

IMG_4175

I forgot to take a picture of the cockpit when it was all painted up. Here is a shot from the front and already there isn't much to see.

IMG_4176

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 10

Nice start Arnold. 

In one way it's a shame to apply paint over all this lovely coloured plastic, however she'll look great once its all built. 

This Dornier is not quite on my shopping list.........................yet!! 

Another classic Matchbox kit build I've got my eye on. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress made today. First I have made up the wings, so that they can dry.

IMG_4178

Second was cleaning up the seams on the fuselage and I also made up some panel lines for it. As I don't have a drawing for it I used a side drawing where the bultheads would be. So not totally correct.

IMG_4179

As I have not erased the original lines I have to make these the same depth.

And finally the last picture with the engines placed and also the rudders.

IMG_4180

That is it for now. Hope to clean up the wings tomorrow and place them.

Cheers,

• Like 6

The wings are on. I have dipped the canopie and turret in some Klear. 

Still need to clean the wing seams, but that will be later to do. I think this will be on a stop now till I get back from Telford in 1 1/2 week.

IMG_4196IMG_4197

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 6

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:00, Arniec said:

The wings are on. I have dipped the canopie and turret in some Klear. 

Still need to clean the wing seams, but that will be later to do. I think this will be on a stop now till I get back from Telford in 1 1/2 week.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

Enjoying this build! Look at those kit colours - good combination by Matchbox for a seaplane but I'm coming round to the view that even though I'm a big fan of the 'Pale Blue', the light gray undersides might sit better with the greens for my own build.

Regards, Mike

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1

I am going to change this build into a earlier  D version.

I found this site by accident http://ameland.waddengebiedindeoorlog.nl/voor-de-oorlog/na-1938/ 

and there is a link to my country, witch I find very interesting.  So I will go with this.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just like the He-111 it took me some time to move on, but here are some pictures of it.

I have dipped the canopies in Klear, before I did some masking and placing them on the model.

I forgot to take a picture of that, but here is the first one after painting the underside in RLM65 from Gunze.

IMG_4230

This morning I started to mask that and paint the first color of the topside. This was RLM 73. I made my own mix with standard RLM71 from Gunze with some blue pait added. After checking it is just a slight change of color. So I don't know if will be seen op the pictures.

IMG_4233

I hope to do tomorrow the second color of RLM 72. This is also a mix of Gunzes RLM 70 with some blue paint in it.

But first thing tomorrow will be doing the masking. That will take some time.

Cheers,

• Like 4