PK409 Dornier Do-18D update ### Finished 4-1-2018 ###

Arniec

Here is a update of the painting. As I said before the second top color is now on. Here are some pictures.

I first masked of the other color. It took some time to get it right.

IMG_4235

And after the paint has got on.

IMG_4236

And the result. 

IMG_4237

This will get a coat of Klear, so I can put tomorrow the decals on.

Cheers,

• Like 9

This is looking good Arnie. Sorry I've not dropped by before, can't think how I missed it other than my skimming of thread titles is getting quite careless. :( When I saw the first photo in the thread I nearly fell off my chair, the mother lode of Matchbox kits. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanxs Steve. Here is a update. I have done the decals.

IMG_4238IMG_4239IMG_4240

That is it for now. Hope to do a update later this week.

Cheers,

• Like 9

Like your Heinkel Arnold, this too is looking most impressive. I’m trying hard to restrict adding to the stash, however there are just so many great builds here that it’s very hard to resist - so much for New Years Resolutions and it’s only the 2nd of Jan!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Arnold, I love the greens in this splinter camouflage. I was reading up on Luftwaffe colours and it was a surprise to see that RLM 72/73 was quoted for seaplanes as against RLM 70/71 in general. I see that you have mixed your own colours and these look excellent - for my He.115, I have bought the Humbrol colours 243 and 244, so it will be good to see what the difference is. Certainly, the Humbrol 65 that I have used for the undersides looks more blue than the colour you have used, which looks blue/grey from the photos. Also, is there a standard pattern for 'splinter camouflage' that was used on all aircraft? Did you work from a standard picture or just do your own interpretation? Enjoying your build immensely.

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:24, Rabbit Leader said:

Like your Heinkel Arnold, this too is looking most impressive. I’m trying hard to restrict adding to the stash, however there are just so many great builds here that it’s very hard to resist - so much for New Years Resolutions and it’s only the 2nd of Jan!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave, I know the feeling! My own 'Matchbox' stash has doubled in size (but is still small) since I tagged on to this GB - enthusiasm carried me away. Hoping to squeeze in at least one more build after the He.115...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Arnold, I love the greens in this splinter camouflage. I was reading up on Luftwaffe colours and it was a surprise to see that RLM 72/73 was quoted for seaplanes as against RLM 70/71 in general. I see that you have mixed your own colours and these look excellent - for my He.115, I have bought the Humbrol colours 243 and 244, so it will be good to see what the difference is. Certainly, the Humbrol 65 that I have used for the undersides looks more blue than the colour you have used, which looks blue/grey from the photos. Also, is there a standard pattern for 'splinter camouflage' that was used on all aircraft? Did you work from a standard picture or just do your own interpretation? Enjoying your build immensely.

Regards, Mike.

Hi Mike, Thanks for the compliments. The underside colour I used is a standard colour from Gunze. I find these paint very pleasing to use. The camouflage came out of a small book with the history of Luftwaffe painting. It is the first part of five that I used. There is a drawing in it for the camo, so not fictonal.  There are a lot of standard drawings for different paint wchemes in there.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Ok, guys this one is finished. I will place here some pictures and do the rest in the Gallery.

IMG_4248IMG_4250IMG_4252IMG_4253

I will later place trhis on it's own underground.

Cheers,

• Like 8

Absolutely fantastic model - very realistic. As I zoomed in on the photos, I kept expecting a couple of gunners to pop out of the fuselage and have a go at me with the machine guns! Well done!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...