Aeronavale Dornier 24

Back to work this week, so nothing done until tonight. I've done a little bit more weathering on the hull,  but I'm at the point where although it's not what I'd envisioned, I don't think I want to press on for fear of ruining it. My weathering skills are rather rudimentary, it must be said.

So tonight I moved on to some of the smaller tasks, particularly painting the turrets; I also decided to go for a metal finish on the cowlings/collector rings, if for no other reason than to give some contrast to the green...

Here are the turrets and their (unpainted) guns:

resized_254a594d-a835-4f93-98b9-5ec34262

You may recognise the thing on the left as an Eduard Bf110E cockpit; my son wanted me to build it because it has a sharkmouth scheme, so I started that over half-term.

And the engines; this is a coat of steel mixed with some rust pigment, which came out more coppery than it looked on the palette. I think I'll tone it down with some earth-coloured pigments once it's dried.

85f1f6f9-f85e-45b1-a95a-ae40b8b8d56d.JPG

Yes, the six spoke thingies in the centre engine are on back to front compared to the other two. I've no idea which is right, but I doubt it will be evident once the props are on.

• Like 5

Turret painting: always a time of excitement and anxiety in this household Chris - nice work!. I can't say that the detail on that middle engine you mention looks out of whack from here.

Tony

• Like 1

Good work on the turrets and engines. I also couldn't tell the difference between the centre engine and the others if you didn't mentioned it. Anyhow, I think the correct position for that part is like in the two outboard engines.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Jaime. Two of those tasks that always feel like crucial steps tonight: unmasking, and setting the wing in place.

07547754-6550-4ff9-a9d2-8a4b3fb125bf.JPG

Unmasking went pretty well, I think. All the painted-over Krystal Klear windows have also been removed and new KK windows put in. The canopy/windscreen masking worked well, though you can see that there's a small gap at the bottom of the windscreen. The upper windows were masked off completely and I painted in the internal frames this evening.

The wing was a bit of a pain; the main central strut (which is my main support at this point) is a little too short, or the V-struts before and aft of it are a little too long. Lego is supporting the outer wings; I'll find out in the morning how effective it's all been.

resized_a2540a3d-c2cf-4c30-812d-8e38dff3

Oh, and I played around with the collector rings again, and made them look even worse.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, jrlx said:

It's looking good to me. The wing central supporting strut is unpainted?

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks, Jaime; the main one is, but when I sprayed the stummel struts yesterday, I clean forgot about the two (four?) V struts. I can't be bottomed to break out the airbrush for those two alone, so I'll brush paint them.

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Looking good to me too Chris, nice job on the masking.

Thanks, Ced!

• Like 2

Just dropped by to look at progress. This si an impressive model in the making, and being a Dornier it will be a big one too! I was very interested to read about your formula for the exhaust collector rings - the colour of the burnt metal is so difficult to achieve in my experience. The engines are not a problem - I for one would not have noticed if you had not pointed it out! The fit of the top wing looks very good too. Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

P

• Like 1

OK, I think I'm going to call it done...

I'm about 85% happy with the outcome. The kit's a mix of good and bad - the flight deck, for example, is pretty good, but the turret interiors are virtually non-existent. There are some nice photoetch parts, but the struts are little more than aerofoil shaped sprue (a bit harsh, maybe). I'm happy with most of the finish, though I know I need to improve my weathering, but less chuffed with the engines and the exhaust smoke, and I know that (as usual) I rushed towards the finish line when I could have taken more care.

I'll take more photos tomorrow once I've got some natural light, but here she is (surely seaplanes are female, like boats?)

resized_e0b78e5d-8854-4ea7-9cae-eb331ecd

resized_69c4af48-138e-4c86-95e1-0ac00283

resized_6605201b-7d1a-4d2a-8bfc-e45efc35

• Like 12

Thanks, chaps. Photos were delayed as the morning light caused me to apply some more light coats of matte varnish (and knock off the tail turret and an elevator actuator), so daylight photos might not happen until next weekend, now.

• Like 2

That has to be one of the nicest greens I've seen on an aircraft Chris, plus the whole thing just looks great. You must feel pleased with the way that's turned out.

Great stuff!

Tony

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Tony, that's very kind of you. I am pleased with it. It's certainly the best "big" (>2 engine) aircraft that I've made, helped significantly by being the first one that I've airbrushed. It's absolutely the best tri-motor that I've ever made (yes, it's also the worst tri-motor that I've done). It encourages me to crack on with the other heavies in my collection, though I think they'll wait until 2018.

• Like 3

That is a very nicely finished odel I think that the tonal variations that you have on the green there are really good - not easy to achieve. I think too that you are too self-critical (aren't we all?): I have yet to complete a model with which i am totally happy. I would let others make the criticisms and praise, and just sit back and enjoy the praise! I think that this is a very good model in unusual and attractive markings.

P

• Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone. Modelling is on hold at the moment as I slipped on my garden path, fell, and bruised my bottom. A splendid pratfall! Getting into position to do any modelling is not possible right now; I'm not even sure I can bend far enough to get the Dornier out of the cabinet to do the repairs. On the upside, there's lot of new wiring in the house and by tomorrow evening we should have light for the first time in months in some rooms.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1