Spitfire Mk22/24.***Finished*****

stevej60

Hi folk's,little model time these day's but a bit more progress anyway,the fit on the wing fuselage was "poor" or insert a four letter word of your choice

but sticking with it she's dried overnight and large amount's of mainly flexible filler used plus white putty in one or two places for re-contouring here's

an example of the kind of gap's on most of the joints.

20171015_203638

You can see along the wing/insert join where the filler has improved thing's.and apart from the upper engine cover here she is filled and sanded.

20171015_202304

• Like 7

Told you - you could do it Steve. It is a strange way to break down the parts in this area, but it looks like your winning with this one. Now that your nearing the paint stage, what scheme have to decided to apply to this classic kit? 

Cheers .. Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Told you - you could do it Steve. It is a strange way to break down the parts in this area, but it looks like your winning with this one. Now that your nearing the paint stage, what scheme have to decided to apply to this classic kit? 

Cheers .. Dave 

Thank's Dave,I've not given much thought to the scheme,the box top seem's to be the one most chosen but I quite like the Malta based scheme

with the WW2 style roundel's.

16 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Top job steve on what is not exacly a tamiya type fit, 

Glynn

Cheer's Glynn,definitely not Tamiya but I'd say the worst is over so all being well I should be ready for primer in a day or so.

• Like 1

Well,I'm mildly surprised she look's a lot better under a few coats of paint,undersides done this morning and ocean gray just applied drying

as we speak.

20171017_153601

• Like 4

Hi folk's that's it for now, first of probably three brush coat's of green has got the lines I wanted trying to keep an element of old school with the 

brush,starting to look like a Spitfire.

20171017_174817

20171017_174800

• Like 11

Coming along very quickly and very nicely there Steve.  

The 1/72 Spit IX will button up in a blink of an eye so you'll have plenty of time to takle more Matchbox classics before 07 Feb arrives.

Cheers.. Dave

Morning folk's,three brushed coat's of green has done the trick,I've fitted the wheel's and u/c door's painted the fuselage band and prop spinner.

20171019_112116

20171019_112104

A timely reminder that I must finish Revell's Mkix which is within a couple of hour's of completion!

20171019_112220

• Like 10

Stunning build so far, Steve. Beside the fit Problems it Looks like a good build with a great looking end result.

Nice Mk.IX by the way. What dark green are you using ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BerndM said:

Stunning build so far, Steve. Beside the fit Problems it Looks like a good build with a great looking end result.

Nice Mk.IX by the way. What dark green are you using ?

Many thank's Bernd,Tamiya RAF green lightened a touch to compensate for glossing.

• Like 1

Evening folk's,last couple of day's progress has been glossing and main decalling,now she really looks like a Spitfire!

20171024_174507

Went for the RAFVR scheme as I liked the wartime type roundel's.

• Like 9

Evening folk's last few stages of the build now,I ran a wash into the panels and have removed the glazing from the sprue and started the  prop

painting.

20171025_191840

20171025_191756

• Like 15

This is looking like a cracking build Steve.. a really nice rendition of this classic kit. I would have liked to have seen you do the 73 Squadron scheme, however Spitfires look good in any decals - I think! 

The gallery is prepping up to accept this 1/32 beauty. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Now that's what I call making a silk purse out of a sow's ear! I don't know how I've managed to miss it 'til now. I still have an original multicoloured Matchbox version in a bag somewhere, I bought it cheap at a model show many years ago because the box had disinegrated.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great work Steve :yes::yes:

Your Spit is really looking the part.

What is your overall impression of the kit, ad I was considering one of these?

Cheers Greg

Thank's for all the comment's folk's.Greg this is a difficult question,awkward construction especially round the fuselage and lower wing would

be the worst aspect's of the kit and those with more knowledge of the subject could fill you in on it's many innaccuracies compared to the original

aircraft but build it in it's context as a forty plus year old kit with your rose tinted glasses on as a Matchbox "kid" you get a big chunk of nostalgia

for your money,that's probably the spirit most will tackle this kit with.

• Like 3