Spitfire Mk22/24.***Finished*****

stevej60

Hi folk's,hoping it's third time lucky after m issing the deadline on the last two GB,s I'm gonna have a go at Revell's re-pop of the Matchbox Spitfire.

apologies for it not being an original but at just over a tenner at a recent sale it had to be worth a punt.I know I had a crack at this kit many moons

ago when new and can guess at what would have been for the younger me an over complicated build never got far! So a nice relaxed OOB build on

the card's don't care about the fault's or innaccuracies I need after a five week lay off a mojo kickstart,see you soon.

csm_04704__I_SUPERMARINE_SPITFIRE_MK.22_24_bb9eee11b3

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 8

Hi Steve, 

great choice. As I have got the revamp kit of the Spitfire as well, I am currious of what you can make out of it.

I builded this one many many moons ago when I was young and desirable :D. It is a great kit and will watch this with much interest.

I think you will have your mojo back after this one.:rolleyes:

Cheers,

• Like 1

Sprue shot's before they get washed,the mold's have took a few knock's mainly on the surface detail scratched and gouged but a swipe with

wet'n dry will sort it.Great decal sheet too.

20171003_111401

20171003_111510

• Like 4

5 hours ago, spaddad said:

very arty, is that you back now, no more kitchen?

More or less Dave,the move into the loft is complete but modelling time reduced to morning's only which means no more during my sometimes 

sleepless night's,mind you the lay off has had me picking the Guitar up again and listening to music instead of having the telly on in the background

while I model away in the kitchen quite enjoyable really.

Must build another one of those, the kit was one of the first that I built when I returned to modelling back in the 80's and I thoroughly enjoyed building it.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

Great choice i build that one in my teenage days. I had some fit problems ( i would say today ) and it stood not long on it s undercarriage because the wheel struts are quite weak for a relative heavy kit

Happy modelling, the decal sheet looks great and will help to put out a great result.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Great choice i build that one in my teenage days. I had some fit problems ( i would say today ) and it stood not long on it s undercarriage because the wheel struts are quite weak for a relative heavy kit

Happy modelling, the decal sheet looks great and will help to put out a great result.

Many thank's Bernd,despite the innaccuracies she's not a bad old kit keeping it OOB as I used to build Matchbox kit's when young and using the 

airbrush instead of the old hairy stick should be fun and that's what's great about this GB.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Many thank's Bernd,despite the innaccuracies she's not a bad old kit keeping it OOB as I used to build Matchbox kit's when young and using the 

airbrush instead of the old hairy stick should be fun and that's what's great about this GB.

Beside the shape errors it is a well detailed kit, enjoy ! And yes keeping it easy is the spirit of this group build. ( May i get a better result than back in the days B) )

• Like 1

Hi folk's,well here's a start with a base coat of interior green,I'm not getting bogged down with detailing I need to add the engine but it will

just be sprayed black and the exhaust's painted,same with the interior just as per the instructions and a busy look(might even paint the pilot too).

20171009_113211

• Like 4

15 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's engine painted and in keeping with the spirit of the build Wing Com.P.K. Lesney will be present for the roll out.

Are you sure he's not a distant relative of Lord Flashheart from Blackadder/Great War fame?

He could do with a fine handlebar moustache don't you think!!  

Looking good so far Steve.... keep the images rolling in. 

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 1

Cheer's Dave yes I only need to detail the face so a moustache is on the cards,after a bit of cutting and cursing with the internal's the main

fuselage is buttoned up,and I've started the "strange" wing assembly definitely a case of "what were you thinking" Matchbox designer"?.

20171011_112256

• Like 6

6 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Good luck with the next part Steve.

This is where my one crashed and burned when I built it way back in the day. Great job so far.

Cheers Greg

Thank's Greg I can't remember that far back to when I first had a go at this kit,but I reckon I must have given up abpout this stage too,but we'll

see how thing's go.

• Like 1

"Cracking on with said wing assembly,looking at what's to come if I get through this awkward wing/fuselage sequence the front engine and

cowl look's nightmare too!

20171012_105948

• Like 5

C'mon Steve no negative thoughts... this is supposed to be a fun GB isn't it? 

Now take a few deep breaths and repeat after me "I can do this, I can do this, I CAN DO THIS!!!" 

She's looking great mate - keep going. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Morning folk's,just a bit more progress.I've fitted the fuselage to wing curved panel's and wing upper's.the younger me would'nt bother with the

guns and open panel's so they've been fitted a dry run seem's to show no issues but that's bound to change.

20171013_110251

I'm tinkering with other part's as well the wheel's are done.

20171013_111533

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

It is coming together, looks great.

Thank's Bernd,strange how the kit's designer broke it down into these unusual component's especially as Revell and maybe even Hasegawa

had their own 1/32 Spitfire's on the market with more traditional break down of part's,that said Eduard's Spitfires carry on the wing/fuselage

insert today to great effect,still think the difficult assembly must have been obvious building the test shot's but maybe Matchbox were aiming

at the more serious older modeller?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Bernd,strange how the kit's designer broke it down into these unusual component's especially as Revell and maybe even Hasegawa

had their own 1/32 Spitfire's on the market with more traditional break down of part's,that said Eduard's Spitfires carry on the wing/fuselage

insert today to great effect,still think the difficult assembly must have been obvious building the test shot's but maybe Matchbox were aiming

at the more serious older modeller?

It is indeed strange and maybe the kit was aimed to more experienced modeleres as you say or simply their way to create the subtle gull wing shape. 

Remembering my build i run in serious trouble in that step and never managed a proper fit.

Compared to the Bf 109E in the same scale it was over engineered.

• Like 1