Airfix 1/48 Walrus sold out

bhouse

I think someone at Airfix has underestimated demand. The kit became available on Thursday 28th September. 

By 30th September the Airfix website declared the kit as "out of stock". I wonder how quickly they can get another batch produced and shipped?

11 minutes ago, bhouse said:

I think someone at Airfix has underestimated demand. The kit became available on Thursday 28th September. 

By 30th September the Airfix website declared the kit as "out of stock". I wonder how quickly they can get another batch produced and shipped?

Good.

Airfix took a bit of a risk on the Walrus in my opinion. Not may companies would have been brave enough to produce something this quirky. I hope it pays off for them – partly because it may give them the confidence to give use something a bit different in the future (fingers crossed for a 1/48 DH 88 Comet).

• Like 3

So there is a market for all these weirdo British subjects then? Kind of reminds me of the good old days when Matchbox released all those off beat models that we all loved both then and now - Heyford, Stranraer, Wellesley, Norseman, 32nd scale Lysander... etc etc. (too many to mention). 

Good on you Airfix - please keep these esoteric subjects happening. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 6

Chuffed to hear the walrus has sold so well, it's so refreshing to see something released that hasn't been done too often - in the case of the Walrus, only the  ex merit/ Smer kit was the only yhing close. Now what else do airfix have up thier sleeves, I can't wait to find out 🤗🤗

A Wellesley per chance? Or even a 1/48 Hampden 😏🖒🖒🖒🖒

• Like 2

Airfix may have sold all their stock, but isn't there history here?  It has been said that production is limited to demand from stockists, in which case all new Airfix kits sell out rapidly - allowing for a small margin that they keep to sell themselves on spec.  This of course assumes a single production batch - depending on initial demand there may be a second batch in the pipeline.  It has also been said that some of the recent Airfix kits (I'm thinking of Nimrod and Valiant here) didn't sell well and stockists were left with kits that were then passed on to the discount trade.  However, they had all made money for Airfix. 

The message is not to give up hope if you haven't got one yet - there may well be plenty on suppliers' shelves.

However yes, we should be glad that Airfix is prepared to look beyond the more obvious subjects.

The fact that Airfix has cleared its shelves so quickly suggests that it had allocated itself sufficient stock to meet the pre-orders, with perhaps a small number of extras - which have now sold out. But Airfix must have known some time in advance that the initial batch was to be a sell-out. Let's hope that they have planned for the Walrus to have a life beyond Batch 1.

Undoubtedly some resellers will have the Walrus in stock but it does suggest that demand has outstripped supply and the Walrus kit will soon be out of stock everywhere.

With the Walrus being made in India, obtaining more stock is likely to be comparatively slow. Had they elected to make the Walrus in the UK they could probably take delivery of a second batch significantly earlier.

I hope the popularity of this far-from mainstream kit gives Airfix (and its stakeholders) confidence and encourages Airfix to (a) continue with high quality kits of unusual subjects and (b)  move more production to the UK - assuming that suitable UK suppliers are available to work with them.

Now all I have to do is wait for Airfix to announce a series of 1950's racing cars in 1/24...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Airfix may have sold all their stock, but isn't there history here?  It has been said that production is limited to demand from stockists, in which case all new Airfix kits sell out rapidly - allowing for a small margin that they keep to sell themselves on spec.  This of course assumes a single production batch - depending on initial demand there may be a second batch in the pipeline.  It has also been said that some of the recent Airfix kits (I'm thinking of Nimrod and Valiant here) didn't sell well and stockists were left with kits that were then passed on to the discount trade.  However, they had all made money for Airfix. 

The message is not to give up hope if you haven't got one yet - there may well be plenty on suppliers' shelves.

However yes, we should be glad that Airfix is prepared to look beyond the more obvious subjects.

Graham Whilst no-one can deny that the Nimrod was a lame duck, available for £9.99 at one stage, I don't recall the Valiant following that path.

On 10/1/2017 at 11:36 AM, Graham Boak said:

May be Airfix only had a small amount to sell direct, there's plenty of retailers with them in stock - It's Hannant's top seller at the moment, but they are still showing 20+ available. 

Edited by Tbolt

5 hours ago, chris57 said:

Graham Whilst no-one can deny that the Nimrod was a lame duck, available for £9.99 at one stage, I don't recall the Valiant following that path.

I bought my Valiant from TkMaxx at half price

12 hours ago, Tbolt said:

May Airfix only had a small amount to sell direct, there's plenty of retailers with them in stock - It's Hannant's top seller at the moment, but they are still showing 20+ available. 

Hi

I must admitt that the 276 Sqn option is interesting :) 

I wonder what underwing stores it comes with. 

cheers

jerry

22 hours ago, Tbolt said:

May Airfix only had a small amount to sell direct, there's plenty of retailers with them in stock - It's Hannant's top seller at the moment, but they are still showing 20+ available. 

Maybe it's a wily marketing ploy: ensure that the first batch is not enough to meet demand in order to sow the thought that you'll be lucky to get one and thus ensure a feeding frenzy when the next batch arrives.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Maybe it's a wily marketing ploy

That's certainly one possibility and I hope you're right. The Hornby group could do with a good earner at tho moment and if it comes from a leftfield Airfix offering that has to be good for the brand.

• Like 1

Just out of interest I've had a look on Ebay, and both the Classic Airframes kit and the Special Hobby repop of it are beginning to turn up at less than silly prices. However, having already built one (nice, but definitely limited run), my next one will be from Airfix.........

Paul.

I have the SMER and Classic Airframes Walrus kits in the stash and have two of the Airfix kits on the way, more than enough overall to cover the RAAF aircraft and an FAA aircraft or two.

I live in hope of a 1/48 Beaufort or a Hampden from Airfix.

Edited by Harvs73
Spelling
  • Like 1

I just ordered one from Hannants, and they were still showing availability as "20+"

I'm so relieved I won't be needing to fight with the ancient SMER kit! That is one kit in the stash I am more than happy to see made redundant!

Edited by Amo Aero
wording

I called into Halifax Model World on Friday - with way too much cash in my wallet.

There was a freshly delivered 'stack' of Walrus kits - that looked very tempting - but I was looking for 1/72 stuff...

...needless to say my wallet was a lot lighter on my departure - BRILLIANT SHOP AND A GREAT OWNER TOO :clap2:

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:59 PM, chris57 said:

Whilst no-one can deny that the Nimrod was a lame duck, available for £9.99 at one stage

I would happily pay that and have it posted all the way here. What a deal!

I'm excited to see the Walrus builds.