Sea Hornet to be returned to flight!

Radleigh

No, not a Mosquito, a Sea Hornet. I had to take a double look too!

Avspecs wrote:

The announcement in Classic Wings Downunder has caused quite a stir it seems there are a lot of people out there who are as excited as us about this. We have already had a lot of questions asked about all manner of details so hopefully my bullet points below will answer most of these.

The project is currently owned by Pioneer Aero.

It is located at our hangar at Ardmore, Auckland New Zealand and at this point is not available for public viewing.

Yes the intention is to return it to flight.

It is a DH 103 Sea Hornet, it is not a Mosquito

There is still a lot of detail to be worked through so we have no firm idea of time frames at this stage.

Yes we are a little crazy.

It is appropriate at this stage to acknowledge and thank the following people.

Corin McCrae , Aerowood.

Mr Reg Field.

David Collins, Project Hornet. U.K.

Hugh Jones U.K.

• Like 13

I'm guessing it will be a collection of metal bits, reverse engineered where need be or made to drawings, incorporated into a new build airframe much as they're doing with Mosquitos, just a guess mind you, no inside info.

Steve.

• Like 1

NO, no, no, no, Yes, YYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Quick check to make sure that it is not 01/04... Nope. YES!!!!!!!!!!

IIRC The Mosquito Museum has some of the concrete moulds used to form the fuselage.

Oh, boy, a REAL Hornet, (none of that vulgar sucking and blowing), in the air again! 

One happy man:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Christian

• Like 2

I bought the latest Classic Wings mag today, a little more on the story behind this & so went looking on the net & found this article from Warbirdsnews.com which seems to have the whole story pretty well. It'll be a huge undertaking, I wouldn't expect this to come to fruition for quite a few years. I wonder who is behind it, there'll be several buckets full of shekels involved?

Steve.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I bought the latest Classic Wings mag today, a little more on the story behind this & so went looking on the net & found this article from Warbirdsnews.com which seems to have the whole story pretty well.

I note that the warbirdsnews mentions Aerowood, but links to a UK site instead of the South Auckland company.

With Glynn Powell's expertise with the Mossie fuselages and wings, hopefully a brighter future is assured with the "wooden wonders"!

• Like 1

I used to have a picture of 806 Sq FAA doing a 4 ship formation loop in New York on "Half Power". One aircraft with both engines turning, two with one engine stopped and feathered, and one with both engines stopped and feathered! Doubt if they would approve that for Duxford. Has anyone got a copy of that photo to post?

• Like 1

Back in the day it was engine problems that grounded TT193 while in Kenting Aviation's hands, and they supposedly couldn't persuade the Admiralty to sell them spares. Who knows what is squirrelled away nowadays or could even be manufactured from new with enough shekels. I'm sure this has been considered though. It may even be that some of the V-12 restorers have take off reverse gear casing from engines they've rebuilt for racers or other restored Merlin engined aircraft. AFAIK, it was all in the reduction gearing on the front of the motor, rather than actual reverse rotation engines. I believe some of the later Mosquitos had the same set up.

Steve.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Back in the day it was engine problems that grounded TT193 while in Kenting Aviation's hands, and they supposedly couldn't persuade the Admiralty to sell them spares. Who knows what is squirrelled away nowadays or could even be manufactured from new with enough shekels. I'm sure this has been considered though. It may even be that some of the V-12 restorers have take off reverse gear casing from engines they've rebuilt for racers or other restored Merlin engined aircraft. AFAIK, it was all in the reduction gearing on the front of the motor, rather than actual reverse rotation engines. I believe some of the later Mosquitos had the same set up.

Steve.

I think you're correct, as I seem to recall reading somewhere  that one of the cowlings on Hornets and Sea Hornets was longer than the other due to the gearing necessary for reverse rotation on one of the Merlins. I think a lot of repositioning and changing of the engine-mounted accessories and drives was also done to fit them into those very slim and tight engine cowlings. 

Mike

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:45 PM, mackem01 said:

I didn't think there were any Hornets still extant - is it a full airframe? Pics anyone?

It's a fairly complete wing centre section out to the nacelles they have, and a good amount of the metal fittings.

sea-hornet-sections-735x413.jpg

The Hornet of course used a lot more metal than the Mosquito did, particularly in the wings.

• Like 1