911 GT1

Ian

Bought this on impulse from Malcolm Rawlings (Kitfinger) a couple of weeks ago - started it as soon as it was delivered !!

WeUk9LG.jpg

So with two sessions I'm well in to the (fantastic) engine & transmission sub assembly, lots of pre-painting needed but this is a wonderful kit and not too far away from my usual NASCAR comfort zone.

uC8BMHi.jpg

NnbNlmL.jpg

eGYNsUD.jpg

Y80H7W1.jpg

aXUiH6C.jpg

Feel free to make any comments, criticism or ask any questions. Thanks for taking the time to look, more soon.

Ian.

• Like 3

I'm not out to hijack your thread, but I'm also assembling one of these and as the body on my example is now glued as one piece, I'm only assembling and painting the parts in the engine bay that can be seen (lazy). The planning side of painting the body has caused me some head scratching as it's quite a complex (IMHO) structure so I've left off the rear spoiler assembly, bonnet intake splitter, wing mirrors and rear parts of the front wings to spray the base colour and lacquer. I'm not sure that I've adopted the correct procedure, but as this is my first ever 1/24 car build I'm learning as I go along. I'm interested to see how your build will go as I could do with some tips! 

37376372322_c5cd0b84cb_b.jpg

36697913084_e6b3008284_b.jpg

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress, i've always had a soft spot for the GT1.

I had the chance to get close to a couple at Goodwood earlier this year, just a shame I didn't have a memory card in my camera at the time.

I got this with my phone though:

Qezdbcs.jpg

Cheers,

Stuart

Edited by Stu_davros
Typo correction.
  • Like 1

Brilliant folks, thanks for getting stuck-in !!  Bill - not hijacking in any way, feel free to jump in whenever you need to, I'm no prima-donna - I build a lot of cars so painting the bodies is not really an issue for me. I attached the two front wings, but like you have left off everything else. I'll paint the inside of the body first (according to the Tamiya instructions) then prime the body with Tamiya (aerosol) grey primer to check that the mold seams are properly gone before painting. Wish we could get Zero (lacquer) paints here but we can't so it'll be good old Tamiya acrylics as usual.

Won't get too much done over the next couple of weeks as it's 'Spring Break' here and the kids are home from school... :think:   Thanks for taking an interest folks, more as soon as I can.

Ian.

Hi Ian, I've progressed somewhat in the past few days (despite some respraying needed on certain small parts, just don't ask! ), but I have a question: As I intend to 'weather' the car slightly I was wondering if it's really necessary to clear lacquer the car because the Tamiya white gloss seems to respond extremely well to a good polish with a final coat of pure Carnauba wax. I tried the process on the rear spoiler, got carried away and applied the decal. Now I'm not sure if I've done the right thing because if I want to apply a coat of lacquer I'll need to remove the wax without damaging the decal and this may not be easy. Before I continue any further the question is to lacquer or not to lacquer.....

36781879194_b9ab499623_b.jpg

• Like 2

Hmmm... the big advantage of a lacquer coat is that it seals and protects the decals before/from the weathering, on that basis I'd say a qualified 'yes' - other folks may have different ideas, may be worth waiting to see if you/we get any other responses. As for my build, because the 'little darlings' are off on Spring Break, then my bech time is very limited just now. Still plodding-on with the engine - you know how it is, pre-paint then build a little, allow it to set then repeat the process. Tedious, but I know it'll be worth it.

Great to see your progress, and keep posting, matey.

Ian.

Hi Bill.

If you have a nice glossy basecoat, that is perfect for the decals to adhere to...then, do the clearcoat, whether it be lacquer or wax. A good waxing leaves a lot less room for error than a "hot" lacquer on your beautiful new decals! Don't ask me how I know!:banghead:

Cheers, H

Nice work btw

Edited by harveyb258
bad memory
  • Like 1

Well somewhat unexpectedly I managed to grab a couple of hours at the bench this afternoon and made some progress:

pH27Jnm.jpg

A82kQ3i.jpg

ZzrLUuU.jpg

reIvZDe.jpg

yLCWSJL.jpg

jEWLp6C.jpg

So just the direct drive shafts & axles from the gearbox to finish painting and attaching and that is it for the whole powerplant & transmission sub-assemblies done, and I can move on to the front radiator & steering 'bits'. I also mixed-up and sprayed some 'olive black' on the interior sections, chassis plate & firewall etc, so it's all good to go.  More next week hopefully. Thanks for following along and contributing.

Ian.

• Like 4

Nice looking power plant Ian, I ran out of patience half way through and decided only to fit and paint the parts that could be seen through the wheels and rear end, but you're obviously more dedicated than I.  Either that or you're a masochist!  :D

My bodywork parts are still lurking in the the airing cupboard hardening off the paintwork but hopefully they'll be tough enough tomorrow to try a bit of cutting back.

Progress - All the interior is complete...

NUQpuOE.jpg

djRMpli.jpg

rfrH00a.jpg

nxOE9pP.jpg

...and the body is primed (but not yet rubbed down).

bTAt1si.jpg

kdLM1pi.jpg

Next, paint !!

Ian.

• Like 1

Looking forward to see more of this build. I have the same kit from the kit swap at telford last year.  your build looks great and is pushing me to start on mine.  :yes:

Thanks for that, matey. It's now wearing a coat of Tamiya fine white primer which I'll leave over the (warm) weekend to thoroughly dry/cure then start layering some Tamiya glossy white next week. Because of the 'lumps and bumps' in the shell it's not practical to use an aerosol for this one, I'll simply airbrush the white.

AFN

Ian.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to applying a couple of coats of Tamiya white on the body...

6VzPvX7.jpg

x5W46XM.jpg

As usual instead of drying full glossy white, it's dried somewhere between gloss and satin - no matter I've rubbed it back with a 3200 Micro polishing sheet so it's smooth like a mirror now and ready for decalling at the weekend. Hey remember all that beautiful detail on the block and transmission...

d4DuLAX.jpg

This is all you can see now !! - more after next weekend - we have a show here too, and I'm taking the Porsche with me to do a decalling presentation.

AFN

Ian.

• Like 1

Started decalling this morning - this could have been a complete nightmare...

LZzlLqg.jpg

phDJnxc.jpg

gV37jVX.jpg

...guess what, it's been an absolute joy. No idea how Tamiya have achieved it, but the decals are simply superb, thin, strong and flexible enough for someone like me with sausages for fingers to manipulate. Just brilliant.

More soon.

Ian.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, PZRGREN said:

Looking good!!  Do those panels on the rear come out? to show the engine/gear box?

No, the panels are fixed, the whole rear 'clam-shell' lifts off though...

Ian.

• Like 1

Having looked at the Porsche's bodywork again I wasn't entirely satisfied with the painted black window surrounds, or the blue trim around the roof intake so I've set about it with some wet 'n dry and re-primered. This time I've used Tamiya's rattle can 'white primer' and it goes on silky smooth, much better than I can seemingly achieve with my airbrush. Whilst I was at it  I sprayed my other project, the Ford GT40. 

Comparing both cars at the same scale shows a fairly similar plan view profile, despite them being 3 decades apart, and although the Porsche bodywork is much longer, the wheel base is nearly the same. 

26707872199_2fdbc67e58_b.jpg

• Like 1