This one's for Arlo

Shelliecool

As an aircraft enthusiast, you will usually see my WIP threads in the aircraft section of Britmodeller. However, my son is crazy about cars, and for my birthday brought me my first car kit. So here I am, for the first time in the vehicle section, building for Arlo. His choice of vehicle in this instance is Revell's 1:32 Opel GT, I am almost certain he chose this kit because the car is orange (his favourite colour). 

Opel

This is a level 3 kit, and inside the box you have the outer shell of the car, 2 sprues (with flash), the tyres (makes a change to have real tyres!) and a clear sprue.

Opel

Opel

Opel

There is also a small sheet of decals, and full colour instructions. 

Opel

I have to admit I'm slightly out of my comfort zone here, but I hope I can do Arlo proud.

• Like 3

On 29/09/2017 at 22:17, Shelliecool said:

I have to admit I'm slightly out of my comfort zone here,

You may find this of interest  for painting

but there are plenty of folk here who'll know more...(edit, than me about cars,  and models thereof)

I'll stick @cmatthewbacon   in as he'll get a notification and may pitch in with some useful info.

Edited by Troy Smith
clarity, add notification
  • Like 1

Since my last post I have begun by priming the car body, as suggested in the link Troy Smith posted I have kept the body under a plastic box between light coats, to avoid any dust sticking to the paint.

2017-10-03_09-48-07

2017-10-03_09-48-43

2017-10-03_09-49-09

I have also started to paint the interior. Before applying the gloss black to the seats I brushed them over with a light coat of silver, hoping this would add a little weathering.

2017-10-03_09-49-28

Along with the seats I have painted the dash, interior door cards and steering wheel.

2017-10-03_09-50-55

Once the door cards were dry I gave the carpet a coat of anthracite, a few more light coats needed, but it's coming along.

2017-10-03_09-51-42

It might be out of my comfort zone, but I am enjoying the build and challenges it presents.

• Like 3

Thanks Troy for the alert, and welcome to the dark side Shellie (if something like that is your real name ;-P). It's a great car, the Opel GT and an excellent choice. My friend James, at another place, has some top tips about the wheels (I've not built this smaller scale Revel version):

http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14860

One thing I would say, looking at your pictures, is that the body would be improved by getting rid of that darn great mould seam that runs down the windscreen pillars and over the wings. Scraping off and block sanding the mould separation lines is a essential ritual of prepping car bodies!

best,

M.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Thanks Troy for the alert, and welcome to the dark side Shellie (if something like that is your real name ;-P). It's a great car, the Opel GT and an excellent choice. My friend James, at another place, has some top tips about the wheels (I've not built this smaller scale Revel version):

http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14860

One thing I would say, looking at your pictures, is that the body would be improved by getting rid of that darn great mould seam that runs down the windscreen pillars and over the wings. Scraping off and block sanding the mould separation lines is a essential ritual of prepping car bodies!

best,

M.

Thanks for the advice M, I am new to this car business but have begun to sand down the seam. Hopefully I will pick up some tips and the build will turn out half decent.

DSC_3122DSC_3123

Thanks, Michelle. 

Since last post I have spent time sanding down the seams on the car body, after several attempts it's pretty smooth so hopefully after a coat of primer it will be ready for a coat of brilliant orange.

2017-10-06_09-26-49

2017-10-06_09-27-14

I have also applied the decals to the dash board, this was rather tricky but the micro sol worked wonders.

2017-10-06_09-28-03

After priming the underside of the car I have applied a light coat of rattle can orange, and left it to dry under the boxes advised.

2017-10-06_09-27-37

finally I have been working on the wheels, applying a coat of anthracite, iron to the spokes and silver around the rims. Tonight I added a coat of Quick Shine gloss to seal the paint in.

2017-10-06_09-28-25

• Like 3

I have been working on building the interior of the car, fitting the seats, applying the decals to the dash and steering wheel and securing the dash in place. The decals went on well, and were pretty thin, so a small brush of micro set soon did the trick (micro set and sol are my new favourite things). 

2017-10-11_11-02-27

2017-10-11_11-02-49

2017-10-11_11-03-17

I have also begun to assemble the wheels, as cmatthewbacon posted earlier in the WIP, Revell have done a poor job with the wheels and tyres and the recess for the white insert for the white wall is not there. So it's in the bin with those, and on to the replacement assembly sheet, the one where you glue the too small wheels into the too big tyres! Needless to say you have to make tue best of a bad job. So I have fixed the wheels in and am contemplating painting on the white walls.

I haven't abandoned the build, simply been painting the car body, which doesn't make for the most exciting posts on here.....I'm literally watching paint dry!😀I have also been painting the floor of the car, using my airbrush. I should point out that I am new to airbrushing and this in itself is quite an achievement for me.

2017-10-15_10-34-57

anyway, back to the rattle can orange for me now.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been on holiday in Dorset last week, I was back to the build last night. Since my last post I have painted the headliner of the car in Revell anthracite and given the shell a coat of Quick Shine gloss varnish, to give her a nice Shine.

2017-10-30_09-23-22

2017-10-30_09-23-33

2017-10-30_09-23-45

2017-10-30_09-24-07

I have also been working on the chassis, painting in some detailing with gloss black, and Mr.Hobby metal colours. So far so good.....But, being a novice car builder, do I dip the clear parts in gloss varnish before assembly like I do with aircraft? 🤔

2017-10-30_09-24-22

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hamden said:

I always dip the clear parts in future before use.

Shell looks stunning in that colour!

Roger

That's great thank you.  I always dip the clear parts in my aircraft builds, but wasn't to sure if it was the same for cars.

Thanks again. 

M.

I spent time yesterday dipping the clear parts in Quick Shine gloss varnish, and today they look fantastically shiny. Tonight I have been derailing the chrome areas around the windscreens and doors, this was terribly fiddly but gives the car a classic look.

DSC_3165DSC_3166

DSC_3167

Then it was on to the chrome bumpers and grill. The instructions call for Revell silver, which I have used, however I have also given them a coat of Humbrol chrome, hoping to create a more authentic look.

DSC_3168

• Like 2

Tonight was spent adding a little more detail to the car body. I applied coats of Revell clear red and clear orange to the rear lights. 

DSC_3172

I then gave the silver work another coat, in prep for another coat of Quick Shine gloss tomorrow. 

DSC_3173

DSC_3174

• Like 4

since my last post I have given the car body another coat of Quick Shine gloss,  to prep the surface for decals. Last night I carefully applied the decals, using micro sol and set, then encourage them to adhere to the raised surfaces. With the decals on she looks pretty cool. Tonight I have applied another coat of Quick Shine, and hidden the shell under a plastic box to dry.

DSC_3198

DSC_3195

DSC_3197

• Like 3

Yesterday I began the final leg of the build, fixing the interior and glass to the car body. Once these were in place, and it was a bit of a squeeze I attached the front and rear bumpers, and finally fitted the car body to the chassis. Having left the car to dry over night, she is ready for inspection. I have enjoyed my first venture into car modelling, it had its challenges (mostly painting!) but I am happy with the result, and so is Arlo and this one was for him after all. Thanks for looking, Michelle. 

2017-11-11_05-42-47

2017-11-11_05-42-22

2017-11-11_05-44-41

• Like 4