Seafires, options in 1/72

Courageous

As I slowly add to my retirement list/ stash, it's time to move to 1/72 Seafires.

If you had to build say 4 marks from beginning to end, what would they be, what kits, what AM? I'd like to cover scheme differences and major 'visible' changes.

Over to you guys.

Stuart

I've built two Sword Seafires (and three Sword Vcs), and I like them, though they are slightly tricky builds that will require some care. I think in general the Sword kits are your best bets. Special Hobby did the Seafire 47, but the kit is rather inaccurate as well as somewhat unpleasant to build; I ended up using mine as spare parts for a CMR Seafire 47 (which also wasn't a ton of fun, come to mention it).

The Sword kits are nice but a bit short on wingspan, if that matters to you.  AZ did the 45 and 46; Ventura did two different Mk.XVs but they take a bit of work.  Airwaves did conversions for the Airfix Mk.V, offering the Mk.I, Mk.II and Mk.III - folding wings an option.  Check with Hannants to see if they are still available.

Colour schemes: Temperate Sea Scheme with standard roundels, TSS with SEAC roundels (white centres not pale blue) TSS with BPF roundels, TSS with postwar roundels, Postwar EDSG over sky low demarcation (Mk.46 only when new - beware confusion with TSS on others), postwar with high demarcation, a few Aluminium (bare metal polished?).  plus RCN in later schemes, it's worth checking if any appeared with Medium Sea Grey lowers.  D-Day stripes, Korean war stripes.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Courageous said:

@Procopius, I was just looking at the SH kit for the 47, and you've just popped that little bubble. What were the inaccuracies...I can live with the difficult build as long as it's not impossible?

It's far from impossible -- actually, in all fairness, I wouldn't rate it as much trickier than the Sword kits. It's a little short, a little fat, and the wingtips are very noticeably wrong.

3 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The Sword kits are nice but a bit short on wingspan, if that matters to you.  AZ did the 45 and 46; Ventura did two different Mk.XVs but they take a bit of work.  Airwaves did conversions for the Airfix Mk.V, offering the Mk.I, Mk.II and Mk.III - folding wings an option.  Check with Hannants to see if they are still available.

I'm not a lover of the folding wings thing albeit it might be the right thing to do.

I am not a purist, so the wingspan is more than likely going to be acceptable to the likes of me. I'll take a look at the 45/ 46 by AZ.

Can anybody help with what they feel are the definitive marks or suggest 4 marks?

3 minutes ago, Procopius said:

It's far from impossible -- actually, in all fairness, I wouldn't rate it as much trickier than the Sword kits. It's a little short, a little fat, and the wingtips are very noticeably wrong.

A bit like me then!:rofl:

• Like 1

Personally, I like aircraft that were used operationally, so two would have to be from WW2. I also like examples that are non-typical so the first would be a Mk.II hybrid with three stack exhausts and a four-bladed propeller (you don't find that on Spitfires). The second would be a Mk.III with British Pacific Fleet markings. The final one would be an FR.47 from the Korean War. Oh yes, one short. Probably a Mk.XVII.

Regarding kits, Sword for the II, III and XVII. Special Hobby for the 47 (probably). If the SH kit puts you off then consider the Airfix Spitfire F Mk.22 with a Freightdog conversion to make a Seafire FR Mk.46.

John.

21 minutes ago, johnd said:

Personally, I like aircraft that were used operationally, so two would have to be from WW2. I also like examples that are non-typical so the first would be a Mk.II hybrid with three stack exhausts and a four-bladed propeller (you don't find that on Spitfires). The second would be a Mk.III with British Pacific Fleet markings. The final one would be an FR.47 from the Korean War. Oh yes, one short. Probably a Mk.XVII.

Regarding kits, Sword for the II, III and XVII. Special Hobby for the 47 (probably). If the SH kit puts you off then consider the Airfix Spitfire F Mk.22 with a Freightdog conversion to make a Seafire FR Mk.46.

John.

Useful, thanks. I was originally leaning towards a Ib, III, XV or XVII and a 47 but I like the idea of the II(hybrid) replacing the Ib. I take it that I'd be using the Sword II and the stacks I get from...?

The SH 47 doesn't put me off but if their are inaccuracies that can be sorted... Don't know why but I seem to avoid anything recce. 

Stuart

57 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I'm not a lover of the folding wings thing albeit it might be the right thing to do.

I am not a purist, so the wingspan is more than likely going to be acceptable to the likes of me. I'll take a look at the 45/ 46 by AZ.

Can anybody help with what they feel are the definitive marks or suggest 4 marks?

Stuart,

The 1b, LF II , III, XV, 17, and 47 would be my favorites. I have the CMR resin 1b, although you could easily convert an injected Vb into one; I agree the Sword II and III are very good, and they are going to release a new-tool 17; for the XV Sword does the early and late versions, as well as the 46, and for the  47, I have the CMR resin kit as well as the SH one, but it does have the issues mentioned, but is much cheaper than the CMR kit. IIRC, I read somewhere that one of the kitmakers is planning a 1b, so you might hold off on that one. I have attached a link to a great website that I think will help you in your Seafire quest. I haven't really pulled all of the available kits out to compare to one another and scale drawings, as I'm not ready to start building a Seafire right now, but there has been a lot of very good discussion and kit reviews already on this site- do a search and see what the others have said. Good luck! They sure are pretty, every one of them!

Mike

http://www.armouredcarriers.com/seafire-variants/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johnd said:

Also, if memory serves, the Mk.XV didn't see front-line service due to a faulty supercharger(?), so by my criterion of selecting marks used in active service, I'd go for a Mk.XVII. 

John.

You are correct, sir! Like the F8F Bearcat,  F7F Tigercat, and the Sea Fury, just a little too late! They would have been deadly had they made it into the war!

Mike

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_supermarine_seafire_XV.html

While we're on the subject of Seafire XV's, here's a short video of the one that was recently restored; they don't come much prettier, and they sure as heck don't sound any meaner than a Griffon in full song! I love the scheme they chose, as well. I hope you enjoy this- turn the sound up!

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TneYPcyGbbY

Edited by 72modeler
assed video link
  • Like 4

I'll add to what other's have said, the Sword Seafire kits are the way to go for the MkII, MkIII, XV and XVII. The MkII and III are straightforward builds, providing you show care and attention to the build. The XV is a little trickier, I never finished my one (mainly due to paint and decal mishaps) as it fought me all the way, probably due to my lack of care and attention and, relative inexperience with limited run kits at the time. One tip with Sword Seafires (and Spitfires) is to either be very careful when installing the undercarriage bays or leave them out entirely as they interfere with the fit of the wing halves.

I started the Special Hobby 47 but never finished it as it had stalled and was part of the clear-out I had when I moved. I hadn't noticed the errors PC and others mention but I wasn't looking for them. If you can get one cheap, they're a great source of spares for tarting-up of Seafire & Spitfire kits as there is tons of unused stuff in the box.

I've never had an AZ (aka Admiral) Seafire. In addition to the 45/ 46, they did a couple of boxings of the MkI which was based on their Spitfire MkVb.

I'd go for:

a MkI as the personal aircraft of Lt Cdr Duncan Hamilton (perhaps a little obvious but striking)

a MkIII of 885 squadron with invasion stripes - flown as a spotter for naval gunfire on D-Day (but let's not get into an argument over the colour of the tailplane or whether it was in Day Fighter Scheme or Temperate Sea Scheme)

a MXV in Aeronavale markings 

a FR47 in Korean War markings 

• Like 2

As a spitfire aficionado I would probably build all variants, but I can see how some are really less important than others.

Between the XV and the XVII I would probably choose the latter from a design perspective as it was quite unique (a short cowl single stage Griffon engined aircraft with a low back) but the XV is more interesting in terms of markings as some wore BPF roundels and this variant was also used by France and Canada.

Regarding kits I agree with what has already been said, go for Sword whenever you can.

If you only want to build 4 and want to show as many different markings as possible, you could build a Ib or a IIc with standard roundels, a III with SEA roundels, a XV with BPF markings and a 47 in Korean War attire. Of these, only the XV would have no war record in British service. The French XVs on the other hand fought in Indochina for a few months between 1948 and 1949.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all your help, and as I said in the beginning, a subjective subject.

The overall consensus is to use the Sword kits wherever possible. @Giorgio N comes closest to original remit of what I was asking but I'll bet I'll end up building others, just like those pesky spitfire versions.

Stuart