Tamiya new release 109 picture leaked.....

Scooby

7 hours ago, Plasto said:

I also like the news that the fuselage is tooled with other variants in mind... 

Tamiya like to do that but don't always give us those other variants...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

That's a bit unfair! Over the years, Tamiya has done a number of subjects in 1/48 that no other company has touched. Yes, there's the Spitfire I and Vb, the P-51D, the Bf 109E, and a bunch of different versions of the Zero. But, there's also the Swordfish, the Douglas F4D-1 Skyray, the Dewoitine D.520, the Aichi M6 Seiran, the He219, the Do 335, the Beaufighter  (finally to gain a competitor this year from Revell), the Meteor I & III, the N1K1 Kyofu and early George, and the Fi 156 Storch. I think they deserve a cash cow once in a while. 

Fair point and to be honest I've bought four of those and would like two others. But I'm still disappointed.

10 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

It will be cheaper than the Eduard in Japan.

Indeed it will but by the time shipping and handling charges are added it'll be way above the cost of an Eduard Profipack in the UK.

However your point is perfectly valid as Tamiya and the other Japanese manufacturers are primarily concerned with their own home market first and foremost so all other international sales are merely a bonus to them.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a lovely kit but other than to the die hard Bf109/Tamiya Fans I doubt it'll sell in huge numbers if it is sitting alongside Eduard Bf109s in the same shop here in Europe.

Duncan B

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Unlike Eduard this looks like proper Gustav, hope Tamiya releases other early-mid Gustavs too.

What is the problem with the latest (post 2014) Eduard Gustavs? Does it look any less a Gustav than the Hasegawa kit for example? 

I do find it odd that the latest Eduard 109 still gets a hard Press in some quarters even when being compared with promotional photographs of test shots.  :shrug:

Duncan B

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Indeed it will but by the time shipping and handling charges are added it'll be way above the cost of an Eduard Profipack in the UK.

However your point is perfectly valid as Tamiya and the other Japanese manufacturers are primarily concerned with their own home market first and foremost so all other international sales are merely a bonus to them.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a lovely kit but other than to the die hard Bf109/Tamiya Fans I doubt it'll sell in huge numbers if it is sitting alongside Eduard Bf109s in the same shop here in Europe.

Duncan B

Hello Duncan

This is what I am thinking. It's maybe only me  and against the trend but but I do not care ...

Eduard is producing very nice elaborated, fashionable mixed scale toys and on rare occurrence Scale Models.  Tamiya is developing and inovating in real-true Scale Models only , and thats why true Scale Modellers are trusting this brand and will pay for it , whatever the price !

Eduard  spends  more on coms, and so called reviewers than on research.  Tamiya do not roll out kits  like hot dogs, they take time to research their subject and just be pro about it. Moreover Tamiya do not "need" to produce Aircraft kits, they are producing and selling far more of other stuff.

If  Eduard does it right at the first time it's because it's already been done before by pros or if home made , researched by others. But yes, sometimes miracles can occur.

If an Eduard home made kit looks right at first sight, it's because they have first sold a lot of first "Ultimate" editions  to unaware modeller ( after the usual marketting campaign) and collected their poor money just to be able to correct some of the shortcomings pointed out by the ( copiously disparaged) Scale Modellers community. So that the same poor consumer will spend his money a second time to buy the "new Ultimate" version they already have paid for !

Very good marketing ! 

Tamiya is not playing with his consumers money ...

Never try to convince your wife...just wait untill she changes her mind . Do the same with a new Eduard model, just wait until they (try) to correct it !, and then do not believe what they are telling you, look with your own eyes and compare ....

With Tamiya I won't have to wait for an hypothetical third or fourth "revised Ultimate" 1/46-1/50 Bf 109G or Fw 190 or else.

Eduard makes me think about politics.

I don't want politics in my Hobby !

Eduard and Tamiya are both making money...I just prefer the Tamiya's way !

I'll always be spending my money on quality , not on coms !

"I doubt it'll sell in huge numbers if it is sitting alongside Eduard Bf109s in the same shop here in Europe."

Rolls-Royce do not need to sell more than Skoda ! ( Sorry for Skoda)

I would say that  Eduard is more a good scale models cosmetic Producer and seller, than a Scale Model Producer.

Amen

Madcop :think:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Duncan B

True the cost of the Tamiya 109G-6 will be more than the Eduard Profipack. But a proper comparison would be a Tamiya 109G-6 to the Eduard Weekend Editions G-6 kits. Tamiya offers no photoetch, canopy masks, or the fantastic decal options that a Profipack kit has. You just get straight plastic, decal seat belts, no masks (or masks you have to cut :wonder: ).

I made a big order from Eduard during their E-Day Sale and got 25% off plus Free Shipping B). I decided to get the Weekend Edition 109G Erla. It was just $22! I started building it immediately and I'm really impressed with the ease of assembly. It's a fun kit! 

Will I buy a Tamiya Bf-109G-6? Maybe. I have a shelf full of Hasegawa Zero variants (A6M1 - A6M8) so I never got a Tamiya new tool Zero.

I highly recommend that if you do see an Eduard Weekend Edition Bf-109F/G sitting in a shop snap it up and you will have a nice kit that builds up quickly! :party:

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, ABeck said:

Any chance that Eduard and Zvezda will correct theirs ??

Vladimir Sulc said he'd fire the first employee that would suggest fixing the MiG-21bis nose.  So you've got your answer on Eduard...

I don't see Zvezda do anything also. Retooling anything wouldn't noticeably influence on the sales and it would cost money that couldn't be used on other projects. Low benefit/cost ratio.

14 hours ago, Duncan B said:

What is the problem with the latest (post 2014) Eduard Gustavs? Does it look any less a Gustav than the Hasegawa kit for example? 

I do find it odd that the latest Eduard 109 still gets a hard Press in some quarters even when being compared with promotional photographs of test shots.  :shrug:

Duncan B

Hi Duncan,

after buying around 15+Profipack boxings of G-6/G-5/F-4 and F-2  in the last year and a half hoping that we got ultimate Gustav in scale-I was wrong.

Firstly I was wrong because I did not want to believe they botched the kit for the second time ( they did), and did not listen to our fellow colleagues forum members that listed

links from scalemodels.ru comparing Eduard kit to both Zvezda one, original Messerschmitt blueprints and photos of the unrestored planes.

At first I thought that it was a marketing ploy to push than newly released Zvezda G-6, but now can say without any hesitation following.

A. Fuselage is too wide

B. From firewall onwards shape is dubious, again too wide

C. Spinner ( in every version )is too short by 2-4mm!

D. Landing gear struts too long

How and why they did it wrong is beyond me, was at Novemberfest 2015, could see the effort they put into correcting earlier Gustav, in the end again botched.

Best regards

Tom

Edited by Thomas V.

1 hour ago, ABeck said:

The new Tam-kit has got the main landing gear legs correct !!

---

Any chance that Eduard and Zvezda will correct theirs ??

If you mean that Tamiya has made it very easy to get the landing gear position correct then that is true.

Now as for the shape of the Bf-109G legs Zvezda comes close. Eduard's legs are correct for a Bf-109F G-2/4 and most other G's. When you look at wartime photographs you can see there are different landing gear legs used on F's, G's and K's (See Squadron Messerschmitt Bf-109 in Action Part 2 pages 35,,36, 41, 45 and Mushroom Model Publications Messerschmitt Bf-109G Vol 1 No 6101 pages 27, 38. MMM Vol 1 shows two restored 109s on pages 32 and 66 with another variant of the gear legs that Eduard used to make their Brassin sets!). (Time to sing the Frozen song!)

Looking at the shape of Tamiya's legs makes me wonder "what were they thinking". They don't look like Bf-109G legs, but they are set up to get the correct stance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

How and why they did it wrong is beyond me, was at Novemberfest 2015, could see the effort they put into correcting earlier Gustav, in the end again botched.

There's some conflict between sources about  how correct or incorrect the Eduard kit is. Who is the better authority. Who has the best scale plans Radu Brinzan or scalemodels.ru? Where is Jacques Derrida?

From http://www.hyperscale.com/2016/reviews/kits/eduard82111reviewbg_1.htm

eduard82111reviewbg_2.jpg

eduard82111reviewbg_3.jpg

Edited by Masinissa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Masinissa said:

Where is Jacques Derrida?

Speaking as someone who took a lot of courses on post-modernism, hopefully trapped in one of the lower levels of hell, being forced to write like Hemingway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I respect and appreciate everyone's views on the merits and otherwise of the kits in question here, it is a very interesting and informative debate that will run and run. From a consumer's point of view if they have a particular interest in a certain type then they have the right to demand the most accurate item they can get. 

However, put simply from my perspective as a Model Retailer, I expect I will sell 10 Eduard Weekender 109s for every 1 Tamiya 109 kit because most customers will not be 109 fanatics which means that the Tamiya kits are money tied up for longer on my shelves instead of returning a regular profit. The majority of customers will be happy with their Eduard/Zvezda/Fujimi/Hasegawa etc purchases and will be blissfully unaware of the 109 Experten's opinions on the various kits as they just fancy making a 109 for a change (how else can you explain why the Airfix 1/72 scale 109G still sells :shrug:?).

Now from my perspective as a modeller who has an interest in the 109 I might still buy a Tamiya kit for myself but I am still wavering and will probably wait until I see one in the 'flesh' before deciding to part with my hard earned cash or not. I already have a large stash of the affordable Eduard, Hasegawa and Zvezda (ok they are F-4s) kits and I suspect many others will be thinking along the same lines as myself.

Thanks for the debate, keep it friendly folks, it's only a model :)

Duncan B

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Now from my perspective as a modeller who has an interest in the 109 I might still buy a Tamiya kit for myself but I am still wavering and will probably wait until I see one in the 'flesh' before deciding to part with my hard earned cash or not. I already have a large stash of the affordable Eduard, Hasegawa and Zvezda (ok they are F-4s) kits and I suspect many others will be thinking along the same lines as myself.

Duncan B

+1

7 hours ago, Plasto said:

Art work looks good..

Initial stages of a Test Shot Build at the following link...

http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/galleries/bf109g6enginetamiya48bg_1.htm

Thanks for the link. All I can say is wow. The good thing about that is you just know Tamiya will nail the fit, without doubt, so all these options mean you can change your mind once it’s been on the shelf for a while and mix it up a bit.  That’s very cool in my book.  I get what everyone is saying, I’ll be able to get 3 or 4 Eduard kits for the same money, but one day one will show up somewhere at a reasonable price and I’ll snap it up.

On 24/10/2017 at 3:06 PM, Masinissa said:

True the cost of the Tamiya 109G-6 will be more than the Eduard Profipack. But a proper comparison would be a Tamiya 109G-6 to the Eduard Weekend Editions G-6 kits. Tamiya offers no photoetch, canopy masks, or the fantastic decal options that a Profipack kit has. You just get straight plastic, decal seat belts, no masks (or masks you have to cut :wonder: ).

I made a big order from Eduard during their E-Day Sale and got 25% off plus Free Shipping B). I decided to get the Weekend Edition 109G Erla. It was just $22! I started building it immediately and I'm really impressed with the ease of assembly. It's a fun kit! 

Will I buy a Tamiya Bf-109G-6? Maybe. I have a shelf full of Hasegawa Zero variants (A6M1 - A6M8) so I never got a Tamiya new tool Zero.

I highly recommend that if you do see an Eduard Weekend Edition Bf-109F/G sitting in a shop snap it up and you will have a nice kit that builds up quickly! :party:

You may have to cut out Tamiya paint masks yourself, but at least they fit the kit they're intended for. Unlike Eduard's. 

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎25 at 11:01 AM, Duncan B said:

I respect and appreciate everyone's views on the merits and otherwise of the kits in question here, it is a very interesting and informative debate that will run and run. From a consumer's point of view if they have a particular interest in a certain type then they have the right to demand the most accurate item they can get. 

However, put simply from my perspective as a Model Retailer, I expect I will sell 10 Eduard Weekender 109s for every 1 Tamiya 109 kit because most customers will not be 109 fanatics which means that the Tamiya kits are money tied up for longer on my shelves instead of returning a regular profit. The majority of customers will be happy with their Eduard/Zvezda/Fujimi/Hasegawa etc purchases and will be blissfully unaware of the 109 Experten's opinions on the various kits as they just fancy making a 109 for a change (how else can you explain why the Airfix 1/72 scale 109G still sells :shrug:?).

Duncan B

In SA the Tamiya kit will sell like hot cakes. Eduard does not exist, or if it does it is expensive as it is a special import by the retailer. I know many modellers here who will not buy a kit unless it is Tamiya, or Hasegawa (not that we get this anymore either). On the pre-owned market Eduard weekend kits (when available) are selling at the same price (or more) than Tamiya retail.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IanF said:

You may have to cut out Tamiya paint masks yourself, but at least they fit the kit they're intended for. Unlike Eduard's. 

I have never had a problem with Eduard's paint masks or any other precut masks. In fact you can use Eduard's masks at least two times by following the advice the Canadian Company EZ-Masks gives. Just dip the mask in slightly diluted dish soap, which allows you to move the mask into position, then press down on the mask to push out the excess soapy water, and the mask is then easily removable. :D Having paint masks in a kit that will retail for at least $50 that require cutting along a line is disappointing.

Will the Tamiya Bf-109 be a fantastic kit? Looks like it, but I take Hyperscale's review with a grain of salt, since he often never examines or criticizes kits for shape issues. I also feel I got burnt when I read reviews about how perfect Tamiya's 1/48 F-16's are. Then I purchased a few of these $75 dollar kits, because of this reporting, and found that there were numerous ejector pin marks on the insides of the wheel well doors, wheel wells, and landing gear legs. That's very frustrating to have to clean up so many ejector pin holes. Especially on a Tamiya kit, but I was told that the Tamiya F-16 was perfect.:wonder:

Now to be fair Tamiya's Bf-109G is entering a very crowded market. Tamya is known for making shake and bake kits. Are Tamiya kits perfect? No. But they can be enjoyable builds. Will I get a Tamiya Bf-109G? I'm sure I can get the kit for about $30-35 from HLJ but frankly it's not a priority for me right now, since my plate is full of Eduard Bf-109Fs and Gs!

Now I understand you don't like Eduard. That's fine. There's now a cornucopia of Bf-109G kits to choose from: Fujimi, Eduard, Hasegawa, Tamiya, Zvezda, and Trumpeter/Hobby Boss! 

Tamiya's Bf-109G Early version will be a good choice for many modelers. The fit and finish will be fantastic. Soon however the Red-line Brigade will have plastic in hand and we will be able to nit-pick the issues! 

Good times!:party:

I'm probably the odd man out here, but  I actually prefer seeing a seated  pilot figured added to the kit than rivet detail.  I'd put myself down as a maybe for purchasing this one.  How soon to buy once it is released depends on the price, and the results of a  thorough review could still sway me either way.

regards,

Jack