Tamiya new release 109 picture leaked.....

Scooby

24 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I’ll stick with my Eduard 109’s ... Tamiya is a very great product, but not worth the markup in price when your on a budget. Ive got pages and pages of decals. Ive collected them for 30 years. I’ll just keep buying the overtrees or weekend editions.  

I find most their 1/48 kits very affordable except their jets. The Hien I purchased recently was $22.00.

Not by me the Taxes in Illinois are hellish. Most Tamiya kits if i can find them start in the $50.00 Range, Hasegawas start around the $35.00 area. I can’t order offline all that often. And i just checked my online place and the Tamiya Hien starts at $42.00. When your on the type of budget i have and the taxes i have im quite limited 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Scooby said:

I find most their 1/48 kits very affordable except their jets. The Hien I purchased recently was $22.00.

Just had a look on evilbay and the cheapest a Tamiya Hien has sold for recently is £34.20, which at current rates is $45.82. Not so cheap here in Britland.

• Like 1

I'm sure Tamiya's price will be way up there due to the brand name.   It will be interesting to read the pros and cons of the kit once released, as there does appear to be some room for improvement over the Eduard  and Zvezda products - see the comments here:  http://scalemodels.ru/articles/10880-obzor-zvezda-1-48-Bf-109G-6-vs-Eduard-1-48-Bf-109G-6-late.html

regards,

Jack

First off No kit is perfect. And I’ll be the first to admit Tamiya is one of the Top tier of makers. But if youre like me and dont need a kit to be accurate down to the Micrometer. And you dont need 800,000 rivets. And if a panel line is off by a 1/2 millimeter. Then Eduard, Zvezda, ICM, and others are good value for the $ £ € ¥. I applaud those of you who like and demand from yourselves that kind of exactness. Personally I dont need it, I dont want it. If it quacks like a 🦆. And looks like a 🦆. Then im sorry to say this ... ITS A 🦆. 

• Like 6

On 9/29/2017 at 5:19 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I suspect 48th too. But eduard 109’s will be hard to beat. It would more likley be more welcome in 1/32 if you want my opinion. It would go with the other Tamiya kits in that scale. The Spitfires, Zero, Corsairs, & P-51’s. And i 2nd the next model of the Tomcat as another option in 1/48th.

I don't think Tamiya will have a problem beating the Eduard kit - the over deep exhausts on that kit turn me off. But typical of Tamiya they will probably not bring out many versions of the 109, where as Eduard will produce quite a few.

• Like 1

I'm personally looking forward to the release and building at least one..

Tamiya are good at lots of things when it comes to model kits but the main ones for me are.

1. Fit of parts is generally excellent.

2. Engineering of the kit to allow a simple yet detailed build is exceptional.

The Ki-61 is the most recent WW2 era aircraft they have released and it's has both of these attributes in Spades.

We know the above as modellers which is why any negativity about the release on forums is all about the choice of subject not if it's going to be a good kit. 

Looking at the sprue shots you get quite a bit in the box. 

The kit has a number of different options from gun pods, trop filter, head armour, Drop tanks, DF loop etc. Add to that a complete engine and gun bay and the option to interchange the parts seemingly on the finished model. 

Oh oh and chuck in Some canopy masks.

So great options OOB offering a lot of variety.

I like the Zvezda 109 F/G kit it's similar in options OOB to the Proposed Tamiya kit but it's a build that needs care to get everything square and lined up around the cowling.

I also like the Eduard 109 F/G kits as they are nicely detailed with good options but I would need to buy a Brassin engine to get an open cowl version.

Ive also built the Hasegawa G6 kit which was great had lots of options and great fit and nice detail. But is an older offering.

I suspect the Tamiya kit will make getting a nice well detailed G6 on the shelf a bit easier and improves the choice for us modellers. 

Seems if you want to build a G6 these are great times.. To me it seems a mite churlish to moan about Tamiya's subject choice.

Plasto

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gorby said:

Just had a look on evilbay and the cheapest a Tamiya Hien has sold for recently is £34.20, which at current rates is $45.82. Not so cheap here in Britland.

$28 at Sealmodels. They recently had it at $22, I know a group of us did a bulk order and shared the shipping.

They have $13.00 1/48 Tamiya Corsairs.

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Not by me the Taxes in Illinois are hellish. Most Tamiya kits if i can find them start in the $50.00 Range, Hasegawas start around the $35.00 area. I can’t order offline all that often. And i just checked my online place and the Tamiya Hien starts at $42.00. When your on the type of budget i have and the taxes i have im quite limited 

Here you go! Tamiya Ki61 for about $22 plus about $10 for shipping from Japan:

https://hlj.com/product/TAM61115

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip, VMA131 ... but if you look at my earlier post i can’t order online very often maybe twice a year ? Trust me if i could i would. Chicago and Northern Illinois has almost no Hobby shops anymore. 5 total within about a 50 mile radius. Theres about 7-8 Train only shops. But of the 5, two are big box type hobby/craft centers that have a modeling section. One is a national hobby chain. The last Two are real Mom n pop style hobby shops.    

Those two hobby shops are good for kit selection but not for paint selection. So i have to plan weeks ahead of time to make a trip to three of them. The other two are within a few miles of me. Sadly when i left the hobby in 2005 there was 10 mom n pop shops now only two. There is only two or three hobby show/swap meets per year and i have to plan weeks or months in advance to set $ aside in my budget to go to one. 

So like i said way up in my first post there is nothing wrong with Tamiya or others. I build them when/if i can get them. Usually with my restrictive budget im left to offline purchase for the bulk of my modeling stuff. So like i said i’ll stick to Eduards, ICM’s and Zvezda. There accurate enough and available. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

• 4 weeks later...

Tamiya's 109G-6 in 1:48.  Good for them :yes:  That should make them some money (which is the aim of the game for them, afterall), but I won't be getting one myself as I have plenty for my needs. :)

I'm not sure how many modellers will be randomly changing the configuration of their finished models from open to closed and vice versa very often though, as everything I've ever built has been horribly delicate once I've finished, and I'd just break it :unsure:

Looks like a 109 to me, but then again so do the Eduard ones I've got in my stash. I'm not one for having engines on display so I'll pass on this one I think (unless it's priced to compete with Eduard....so that's a no then!).

Duncan B

• Like 1

I agree swapping from open to closed cowls seems a bit of  gimmick but I do like the idea of a nice open cowl set up that’s not as fiddly as the Zvezda one or as expensive as the Brassin bits for the Eduard kit.

I quite like open cowls as it’s a bit different...

I also like the news that the fuselage is tooled with other variants in mind... 

I’ve only got one Eduard G6 in the stash the so adding a Tamiya will be no hardship but I probably won’t end up getting a Zvezda G6..

cheers

Plasto

On 9/29/2017 at 6:46 AM, Gorby said:

Like some of the posts above, colour me disappointed. I love Luftwaffe subjects and I like the 109, but another one! We have Airfix taking a punt on the Defiant, Whitley and a Walrus and even Gaspatch are brave enough give us a Hs 123. I was looking forward to something a bit different, but it seems that Tamiya are playing safe.

Enormously underwhelmed. 

That's a bit unfair! Over the years, Tamiya has done a number of subjects in 1/48 that no other company has touched. Yes, there's the Spitfire I and Vb, the P-51D, the Bf 109E, and a bunch of different versions of the Zero. But, there's also the Swordfish, the Douglas F4D-1 Skyray, the Dewoitine D.520, the Aichi M6 Seiran, the He219, the Do 335, the Beaufighter  (finally to gain a competitor this year from Revell), the Meteor I & III, the N1K1 Kyofu and early George, and the Fi 156 Storch. I think they deserve a cash cow once in a while. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Looks like a 109 to me, but then again so do the Eduard ones I've got in my stash. I'm not one for having engines on display so I'll pass on this one I think (unless it's priced to compete with Eduard....so that's a no then!).

Duncan B

It will be cheaper than the Eduard in Japan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Plasto said:

I do like the idea of a nice open cowl set up that’s not as fiddly as the Zvezda one or as expensive as the Brassin bits for the Eduard kit.

it's a bit of an "apples and oranges" comparison between injection moulded kit engines and aftermarket resin ones due to the superior detail of resin, but I take your point anyway as not everyone wants insane amounts of detail :)

• Like 1

I agree apples n oranges. 

What it seems you’ll get in the Tamiya kit is a nice motor that’s probably not as fiddly as the Zvezda engine but not as well detailed as the Eduard Brassin motor but with a bit of work like the Zvezda motorccan look really presentable.

cheers

Plasto

• Like 2