Canadian built Harvards - Internal colours?

Rabbit Leader

All, 

This question has probably been asked a thousand times however I’m getting confused with all the restored examples and what my brain is telling me. 

What is the best internal cockpit colour to depict a wartime Canadian built Harvard IIB - US style Interior Green or RAF style Grey Green? Or is there some other shade like a deep bronze green that could be a better match? 

Comments, suggestions, photographs, web links etc. would be most helpful. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

Thanks Tony.. didn’t you build a string of Harvards and a Yale recently? I recall you correctly repainting the Wirraways cockpit silver, but what did you end up using for the other Commonwealth trainers? 

Cheers.. Dave

North American built Harvard IIBs mostly featured silver interiors.  The Noorduyn built Harvard IIBs were a dark green, pretty close to Dull Dark Green.  Tamiya XF-11 is pretty close.

Jim

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, airjiml2 said:

North American built Harvard IIBs mostly featured silver interiors.  The Noorduyn built Harvard IIBs were a dark green, pretty close to Dull Dark Green.  Tamiya XF-11 is pretty close.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

That'll be right - in my haste last night I applied a coat of US Interior Green to the cockpit parts!

Is there any way of knowing where a particular serial was built (ie. US or Canada) - I'm planning to model serial FT186.

Cheers.. Dave

FT186 was built in Canada,went to 45 Squadron then to 1301 Flt,Station Flight Negombo SOC April 1955.

My father has FT165 in his logbook which was based in Rhodesia where he was instructing in 1946 he liked the Harvard but always said it was better to bounce it rather  than spin in on landing.

Ian

• Thanks 1

Ian, thanks for the information on FT186 and nice to know that your father flew a Harvard from the same production batch. Can I ask where you found your Harvard production information and service history. It would be good to know when FT186 rolled off the production line and if it arrived ‘new’ to 45 Squadron. 

Cheers and thanks again - Dave. 

Fwiw FT323 now G-AZSC and Noorduyn built has been finished in US interior green but digging away and seeing where the paint has chipped is evidence of British grey/green. How old that is I have no idea!

• Thanks 1

Thanks 85sqd.. interesting and indeed odd! Adds to the conundrum of confusion? My head said Grey Green, but restored examples showed Interior Green cockpit and a Deep Green (XF-11 equivalent as Jim points out above) forward of the cockpit towards the engine firewall. 

Cheers.. Dave

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Ian, thanks for the information on FT186 and nice to know that your father flew a Harvard from the same production batch. Can I ask where you found your Harvard production information and service history. It would be good to know when FT186 rolled off the production line and if it arrived ‘new’ to 45 Squadron. 

Cheers and thanks again - Dave. 

Hi Dave

The info came from the Air Britain Harvard File.

The File state's the aircraft was delivered to India/Ceylon in a batch FT179-FT206 between Dec43 and Jan 44, it went to 45 Sqdn in May 1949.

FT186 was in a batch of 361 aircraft FT100-FT460. 

I've built around a dozen various RAF Harvards and went with RAF grey/green for the sidewalls and black for the tubular frame, several colour photo's exist but I can't remember where I saw them.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Ian,

I appreciate the quick reply.

This information is very useful although I believe FT186 may have been allocated to No.45 Squadron a little earlier. I'll check Jefford's "Flying Camels" book later tonight. 

The Air Britan Harvard file is a book I'd love to own so may take a closer look at acquiring a copy in (hopefully) good condition.

I suspect that some canny model manufacturer will come to their sences and produce a Commonwealth Harvard one of these days.

If so, then this volume would prove to be a wise purchase.

Cheers and thanks.. Dave.

Good luck with your model Dave,...... Jim has far more knowledge of the Harvard than I have so if he says Dull Dark Green,.....I`d go for that!

Cheers

Tony