This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

I understand what your saying.  But DS9 has arguably the greatest critically reviewed Star Trek episode ever. Its my all time favorite as well. "In the Pale Moonlight " was amazing when it first aired. In all these new dark and edgy reboots, nothing has came close to those final lines in that episode. Avery Brooks sold that series. Here is what the Hollywood Reporter said about this episode:

"If DS9 was the Star Trek series that asked questions the other series shied away from — and it was, on a regular basis — this is the archetypal episode that shows how fearlessly the show pushes the envelope. In the midst of war with the Dominion, Sisko betrays the ideals of Starfleet for the greater good and then dares the audience to fault him for his decision. Avery Brooks' brittle, angry performance anchors an episode that underscores the cost the war is having on his character, and the series as a whole. Who knew Star Trekcould feel this dark, or conflicted?" 

BTW you seen this before?

What could have been if not for greedy people. 

The Magnificent Ferengi a brilliant repop of The Magnificent Seven is next to the Pale Moonlight my two  favourite episodes from DS9

Having watched the first three episodes of Discovery I am impressed so far, different style of Trek but very good sci-fi. I have always been a Star Trek fan wasnt sure about this new show after the reboot films.

I agree. It's a problem with doing retro-tec. It has to look realistic but In tone with the early designs. Classic not crap.

I went back and looked through a few best of Voyager lists and saw a few episodes I had completely forgotten.  I forgot about the wonderful Doctor centered episodes and how cool the Scorpions where. I still think it's the weakest series, but it probably isn't as bad as I recall. Maybe I need to rewatch it.

Back on topic, this guy makes alot of sense. I hope he is right....

I liked this show starting at episode 1. Only TOS and Enterprise have had the same start for me. Which probably says more about me than the show.

Episode 5: I like the list of top captains in Starfleet.

The old lady and I watched the 3rd and 4th episodes tonight.  Not bad. I like the story so far and the actors are all pretty good. I just don't like the design esthetic, it just doesn't "look" right to me. Everything just screams Mass Effect at me. Especially the lighting. I'm gonna watch episode 5 tomorrow. 

On 10/6/2017 at 08:14, Thud4444 said:

Back on topic, this guy makes alot of sense. I hope he is right....

I hope he's not, but that's because every time Section 31 has appeared, they annoyed the hell out of me. I agree, it would help explain some things, but there are too many disparities to be explained away that just wouldn't fit the reasoning.

Good episode tonight. Plot development and all that (no spoilers here!).

BTW am I the only one to think that the opening sequences have a hint of James Bond about them?

Trevor

I have to say that it seems to get better with every new episode. I really liked the recent prison episode.  With added points for using your FTL drive as a weapon like in Babylon 5.

Btw, I heard y'all are about to get the Orville over there, if you haven't already. I highly recommend it, it's a lot less of a comedy than the commercials let on. I just "feels" like classic Trek to me.

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, Thud4444 said:

I understand what your saying.  But DS9 has arguably the greatest critically reviewed Star Trek episode ever. Its my all time favorite as well. "In the Pale Moonlight " was amazing when it first aired. In all these new dark and edgy reboots, nothing has came close to those final lines in that episode. Avery Brooks sold that series. Here is what the Hollywood Reporter said about this episode:

"If DS9 was the Star Trek series that asked questions the other series shied away from — and it was, on a regular basis — this is the archetypal episode that shows how fearlessly the show pushes the envelope. In the midst of war with the Dominion, Sisko betrays the ideals of Starfleet for the greater good and then dares the audience to fault him for his decision. Avery Brooks' brittle, angry performance anchors an episode that underscores the cost the war is having on his character, and the series as a whole. Who knew Star Trekcould feel this dark, or conflicted?" 

Agree totally. Very fine episode and, Steven McHattie's (Senator Vrenak) hissing, spitting delivery "It's a fake"! is one of my favourite TV moments. D S 9 took a while but it was worth the wait. I hated Voyager, especially Kes, Neelix and most of all that self righteous captain!! Even Seven of Nine didn't save it for me!! I felt Star Trek ; Enterprise was very underrated and deserved a lot better.

Getting back to Discovery, I have loved every minute of it. I don't care if the Klingons are totally unlike other incarnations (these ones are particularly nasty!!). We get swearing, dismembered bodies, blood and guts and a deceased Starfleet Captain who finished up as an entrée at a Klingon dinner!! (Always did think Michelle Yeoh was a bit tasty but, not like that!!). I like the way the story arc is going and, long may it continue!! Still cannot quite wrap my brain around a female character called Michael and, I find it very irritating having to listen to two fine British actors (Jason Isaacs and James Frain) speaking in phoney American accents ( did Patrick Stewart affect a French accent?) but, these are minor quibbles. What I cannot abide is that stupid "After Trek" show. Trashy, cheap and utterly banal, avoid like the plague. So, who will be first with kits of the USS Discovery and, USS Shenzhou ?:winkgrin:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, Thud4444 said:

BTW you seen this before?

What could have been if not for greedy people. 

Super, awesome,  brilliant!! What a loss. You know, I'd bet good money that in a couple of years time, Paramount/CBS will "forget" their original lawsuit and objections, switch into full greed mode and go all out to produce the next Star Trek gold mine...............!!!:think: 

Allan

That is awesome - and proper continuity to new and old series! I do like how Discovery is developing, though. I enjoy all the ST series and movies; Discovery is shaping up nicely after a confusing (for me) start.

We now get a break after Episode 9 and it looks like the story is taking off on a long "arc" and we have been dumped with a cliffhanger to ensure our return.

Really enjoyed the nine episodes so far and pleased to hear it has been recommissioned for another series.

If you can, give it a try. I wonder whether this will filter onto other channels in due course? It is something of a flagship for Netflix at the moment but perhaps it will be sold on? Anywho, worth checking out if you like your Trek a little darker than TOS/TNG.

I love it. It's very different from previous Star Treks, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Before it started I was fervently hoping it wouldn't be rubbish, and trying to prepare myself in case it was, but I didn't need to. Some episodes have definitely been better than others - there are a couple of weak ones, but there have been a couple of absolute crackers as well.

Unlike some commenters, I really like the visual stuff, especially the Klingon ships and armour. It reminds me of the design work done on the Lord of the Rings films, where they really tried to create a coherent visual culture for each of the different races.

What?! No more episodes for now?? I was counting on 13 (10 minimum).

Grr

Trevor

16 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

What?! No more episodes for now?? I was counting on 13 (10 minimum).

Grr

Trevor

Second half of season back from Jan 07th :) Another 6 episodes to come.

Edited by Spookyville