RB-50s at Lakenheath

davielee

I am new to this site.  I found it while researching my father-in-laws career in RB-29s and RB-50s.  Several forum posts discussed deployment of RB-50s to Lakenheath in mid-1950s .  i think my father-in-law was on those deployments.  I cannot find any tags to that discussion.  Can someone direct me to the correct forum and page?  Thanks.

No problem. The search on BM isn't the best, it's much better to use Google and put Britmodeller in the search - I typed "rb-50 lakenheath site:www.britmodeller.com"

Welcome to Britmodeller by the way! What are you interested in, apart from RB-50s?

Steve

• Like 1

Mainly reconstructing my father-in-law's career.  He never talked about his WWII experiences, particularly as a POW at the end of the war.  In fact, searching every known official record,   I cannot locate which camp he was in.  Then his time in RB-29s and RB-50s in the 1950s is very obscure.  He served in the 324th Electronic Recce Squadron at Ramey AFB then TDYs to Japan, Morocco, and  England.  He probably flew on covert SIGINT/ELINT flights. His official records burned up in the fire at the AF records repository in St. Louis in 1973.  I located one crew picture of him with the RB-50 named Fat Cat.

• Like 1

Does this help any?

fatcat.jpg

Fat Cat, The [UNK] 581st. Air Re-Supply & Communications. These CIA controlled aircraft were embedded in other squadrons, such as 2nd Air-Sea Rescue at Kadena and the 91st at Yokota, and called "Joe Hole" configured B-29s.  The "Joe Hole" was an enlarged opening left after the removal of the lower aft turret, and was used for dropping leaflets, supplies, and (believe it or not) agents.  The 13-man crew in their class A uniforms in front of a cartoon "Fat Cat" seem somewhat incongruous. It has also been noted that their mission symbols were “cows.”  Could this be a variation of the term “milk run?”

• Like 1