Airfix 1/48th Walrus

Joe, thanks a lot for the links! The kits look impressive, especially the Enterprise. I may one day end up building one (no idea where would I put it after built...)

The paint job looks excellent. Your weathering plan sounds nice. I'll be following it with interest!

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

On 18/10/2017 at 9:35 PM, The Spadgent said:

Whowa! That's looking seriously nice.:clap2:

John.

Thank you John. 

On 18/10/2017 at 11:23 PM, CedB said:

Very nice yellow finish Joe, good job :)

Thanks Ced, kind as always. 

On 20/10/2017 at 1:20 AM, jrlx said:

Joe, thanks a lot for the links! The kits look impressive, especially the Enterprise. I may one day end up building one (no idea where would I put it after built...)

The paint job looks excellent. Your weathering plan sounds nice. I'll be following it with interest!

Cheers

Jaime

Thank you Jaime, your welcome. I'm the same, having the time to build them, then store them. 

The weathering plan might be a bit over the top as you can see below.

Cheers, Joe. 

iFxpc30.jpg

I polished the top fuselage section as you can see. To make sure the wash doesn't stain the paint, the surface needs to be polished.

Whilst polishing with micro-mesh, I went back to the plastic as you can see in the photo. On dark finishes, this does not show so much. But on the yellow paint, it appears more apparent. The wash also makes the finish look dirty. Maybe not a problem on most aircraft of the period, but I believe this aircraft only flew a short time before being wrecked in a storm. It's since been rebuilt and is on display in a museum, the finish now is immaculate.

I think I will polish and weather the rest, just to see how it looks. If I'm not happy, it could be plan A/2.

I'm away for a few days, so there won't be much progress this week. Meanwhile, just down the road from where I'm staying is a thing of beauty. It done the same job as the Walrus for many years, before being retired itself.

LGkIcie.jpg

This Sea King is now on display at the corner of the airfield where she severed. I was lucky enough to have a flight with 771 NAS a couple of years ago during a families day. 

Thanks for looking, Joe. 

Thanks for looking, Joe

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, CedB said:

I like that effect Joe - looks good to me :)

Nice photo of the Sea King.

Thank you Ced, I took the photo last year. In reality, it's raining and I'm sitting here making my Lego Saturn V rocket. :D :rain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The weathering would look good on an operational aircraft with a lot of use, in my opinion. Maybe not on the actual aircraft you're modelling due to a short operational life, as you say. For me getting the right weathering is always a worry, as I never want to overdo it.

The Sea King is beautiful. I have the 1/72 Airfix new tool in the stash and intend to super detail it (there's a Eduard BIG PE set for it) when I get round to build it.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

On 22/10/2017 at 11:05 AM, Jbbusybee said:

Looks good, will follow this with excitement.

Thank you Jbbusybee, hope I don't disappoint. 

On 22/10/2017 at 12:55 PM, jrlx said:

The weathering would look good on an operational aircraft with a lot of use, in my opinion. Maybe not on the actual aircraft you're modelling due to a short operational life, as you say. For me getting the right weathering is always a worry, as I never want to overdo it.

The Sea King is beautiful. I have the 1/72 Airfix new tool in the stash and intend to super detail it (there's a Eduard BIG PE set for it) when I get round to build it.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime, I'll weather a few more bits to give me more of an idea. 

56 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I like the weathering too. Top stuff.

Johnny

Thank you Johnny, with the Lego Saturn V almost finished (1969 pieces no painting or decals required), I'll get back to the Walrus. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Fatboydim said:

with the Lego Saturn V almost finished (1969 pieces no painting or decals required), I'll get back to the Walrus

Could you please post a picture of the Lego Saturn V? As a kid I built many Legos, including the Lunar Module and Lunar Rover :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jrlx said:

Could you please post a picture of the Lego Saturn V? As a kid I built many Legos, including the Lunar Module and Lunar Rover :)

Cheers

Jaime

Hello Jaime, sure thing. The set comes in 12 numbered bags. I've got 2 bags left to finish it. Meanwhile, the photo below is the combination of the first 10. 😀

sQhoCnX.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jrlx said:

Wow! Looks well detailed for a Lego! Thanks for the picture!

All done Jaime, I really enjoyed building it. There are a couple of photos below, and a link to the Lego shop. 

Bjd9GCe.jpg

pKUj3xt.jpg

And the link to the Lego site  https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/LEGO-NASA-Apollo-Saturn-V-21309

Back to the Walrus now starting tomorrow. 

• Like 3

I've weathered the horizontal stabiliser with the same wash, but tried cleaning it off with a different approach. 

I've still been a little heavy handed in some areas. 

I think I will weather the other main sections, tape them together and see how the finished hull might look then, 

If it's still a bit over the top, I might go for the Argentinian scheme instead. 

78ITNAE.jpg

There are some areas that I need to cleaned off a bit more I've noticed. But I'll carry on with the other sections at the moment. 

Thanks for looking, Joe. 

• Like 8

This was an exciting discovery as guess which kit I started to build today? :) Plus I didn't even realise this GB was running until I found this thread so I've just started my own WIP thread for an RAF Walrus.

Good stuff so far Joe!

• Like 2

On 25/10/2017 at 2:58 PM, CedB said:

I like it. Looks like the sort of floatplane that gets hosed down, sometimes :)

Thank you Ced. :D

On 26/10/2017 at 12:31 AM, jrlx said:

Looks good to me, Joe. Good work!

Cheers

Jaime

Many thanks Jaime. Cheers, Joe. 

4 hours ago, Kallisti said:

This was an exciting discovery as guess which kit I started to build today? :) Plus I didn't even realise this GB was running until I found this thread so I've just started my own WIP thread for an RAF Walrus.

Good stuff so far Joe!

Thank you Killisti. Just had a quick look at your build. Nice idea about the life raft. 

Sorry there have have been no updates. As some of you might know, I was in Cornwall visiting my son and grandchildren.

I intended to carry on weathering the sections of my Walrus after I'd finished playing with my Lego, when my dog Max hurt his leg.

I took him to a first class vet in Helston, who diagnosed that Max had damaged his ligament in his rear leg. 

He is still not right, and I'm seeing my vet Monday now I'm back home. The result was, there was no way I could concentrate on anything other than worrying about my dog. He's a lot happier now we are back home. I don't think he likes the 250 mile drive anymore than I do. He's still walking on three legs, but is managing better now. 

I will carry on next week and post a few pictures then. 

Thanks for looking, Joe. 

• Sad 3

Sorry to hear about your dog, I hope he makes a full recovery soon.

I probably won't buy one of these because I just can't do rigging and that's an essential part of the aeroplane, but I am enjoying watching the builds on here, and a yellow one is going to look pretty special.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

On 05/10/2017 at 2:58 AM, Martian Hale said:

I didn't know I had had a sex change, I am sure I would have noticed if I had!

Martian

Just to reassure everyone, having caught up with Martian recently, there's no change from the current posting photo  :wicked:

Really enjoying following this build, the interior detail is amazing, will you be able to see much of it when it's closed up ?

cheers Pat

• Haha 2

On 28/10/2017 at 8:02 PM, jrlx said:

Sorry to know about your dog,  Joe. Hope he recovers quickly. I look forward to your next installment.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime, I post one this week. 

On 29/10/2017 at 12:11 PM, The Spadgent said:

Great progress Joe. Nice rocket too.B) Hope Max gets better soon. Have a great weekend.

John

Thank you John. The rocket was a nice way to relax while visiting my son. 

On 29/10/2017 at 12:57 PM, Biggles87 said:

Sorry to hear about your dog, I hope he makes a full recovery soon.

I probably won't buy one of these because I just can't do rigging and that's an essential part of the aeroplane, but I am enjoying watching the builds on here, and a yellow one is going to look pretty special.

Cheers

John

Thank you John, yes, the rigging is going to be the hardest part. I've not did ne much, so I'm hoping it turns out ok.

23 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Just to reassure everyone, having caught up with Martian recently, there's no change from the current posting photo  :wicked:

Really enjoying following this build, the interior detail is amazing, will you be able to see much of it when it's closed up ?

cheers Pat

Thank you Pat, I think you will be able to see a good part if the detail with the three openings. 

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Sorry to hear about the dog Joe and I hope he gets better soon :)

Hello Ced, thank you. 🙂

• Like 2