Airfix 1/48th Walrus

This looks to be an even more tasty looking kit than I had thought. Picking mine up from the LMS tomorrow; can't wait!

Martian

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 02/10/2017 at 5:06 PM, CedB said:

Very nice Joe, lovely details for you to apply your skills to!

(Just caught up after the man cave reorg - still plenty of 'you know what' here, thanks!)

Thank you Ced. It has some really nice detail. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This looks to be an even more tasty looking kit than I had thought. Picking mine up from the LMS tomorrow; can't wait!

Martian

Thank you Martian, I don't think you will be disappointed. 

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice work Joe. The internals look rather lovely. You're doing a grand job. Christmas list updated.:santa:

Thank you Johnny, there's a lot to squeeze into the fuselage.

• Like 1

I've glued the three sections of the top wing individually. 

lMLN4f4.jpg

The main wing spar for the extended wings.

chgeQiO.jpg

Upper and lower wing parts showing the rigging points on the lower wing, and fuel caps on the upper wing.

I think I will drill a small hole in the rigging point position for when I apply the EZ Line. 

Hopefully, after I've cleaned up the three sections of the top wing tomorrow, I will have time to glue them together before I make a start on the lower wing sections. 

Thanks for looking, Joe. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

Thank you Martian, I don't think you will be disappointed. 

I picked up the kit and I wasn't! Airfix seem to get better and better with every new release.

Martian

• Like 3

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Even more nice details on show there Joe, especially the rigging points. :)

Hello Ced, yeah, the rigging points will give me something to aim at when I trying to rig it. :think:

18 hours ago, jrlx said:

Good work on the wing parts, Joe. The detail is exquisite.

Cheers

Jaime

Thank you Jaime, I managed to get a little bit done today. 

17 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I picked up the kit and I wasn't! Airfix seem to get better and better with every new release.

Martian

Hi Marian, glad you like it. I'm looking forward to the Sea Fury. 

• Like 2

A good start. Shall you post a full WIP?

Kit available since yesterday and immediately ordered.

A question just in case: can you drown a seaplane kit? Looking at your pictures I fear to stay put drooling all over it.

Cheers

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bhouse said:

Good Grief! I'd never considered Martian gender politics before but you've opened a real can of worms now :idea:

Good lord, I never noticed that!  :doh:Thanks for letting me know so I can apologise to Martian. 

Martian, if your reading this, please accept my sincere apologies. Joe. 

31 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

A good start. Shall you post a full WIP?

Kit available since yesterday and immediately ordered.

A question just in case: can you drown a seaplane kit? Looking at your pictures I fear to stay put drooling all over it.

Cheers

Hello Pat, thank you. Yes, I intend to post a full WIP. But I'm a bit slow at times. 

It is a lovely model. The only extras apart from the decal change will be added harnesses. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fatboydim said:

Hello Pat, thank you. Yes, I intend to post a full WIP. But I'm a bit slow at times. 

It is a lovely model. The only extras apart from the decal change will be added harnesses. 

Thank you, i'll follow your progress with great interest.

I just intend to purchase Eduard masks (happy I did so with the P40, the clear parts being so thin and me so clumsy with masking tape).

You, slow? I consider it a fruitful year when I get to finish two kits and also I never posted a thing.

Wish you much fun with this build (and all the others). And Sea Fury build images available at Airfix https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/new-hawker-sea-fury-update/

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

Hi Marian, glad you like it. I'm looking forward to the Sea Fury. 

I didn't know I had had a sex change, I am sure I would have noticed if I had!

Martian

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Thank you, i'll follow your progress with great interest.

I just intend to purchase Eduard masks (happy I did so with the P40, the clear parts being so thin and me so clumsy with masking tape).

You, slow? I consider it a fruitful year when I get to finish two kits and also I never posted a thing.

Wish you much fun with this build (and all the others). And Sea Fury build images available at Airfix https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/new-hawker-sea-fury-update/

Many thanks Pat. I only finished one in the last year, so your in good company. Thanks also for the link.

The Sea Fury looks like being another winner for Airfix. It's really good to see them coming back in such force over the last couple of years. Joe 

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian

I'm so sorry Martian, I need to make sure I read the text before I hit the send button. Joe. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian

Hello Dears,

With all that tentacles !! Sure he should have noticed !! :rofl2:

I really like the Walrus and the way Airfix make her justice.

I will try to wait for Telford and bring her back then.

Very glad to see that the Old lady in red is serioulsly back in the game !

Sea fury is also high on my list. :wicked:

Very nice Job, Joe I follow too !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dears,

With all that tentacles !! Sure he should have noticed !! :rofl2:

I really like the Walrus and the way Airfix make her justice.

I will try to wait for Telford and bring her back then.

Very glad to see that the Old lady in red is serioulsly back in the game !

Sea fury is also high on my list. :wicked:

Very nice Job, Joe I follow too !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thank you Corsaircorp. 

6 hours ago, zebra said:

Nice work so far Joe. 

Thanks Z. You've made a great start on your Walrus. 

gUdYdXx.jpg

The port and starboard wings just pushed together on the main spar. 

OO6v9ui.jpg

The underneath of the lower wing showing wheel bay detail and weapons bays. 

In the next day or so, I'll start to glue the interior parts together. That will give some support to the structure, so I can then dry fit the four fuselage sections to see what the join is like. I still intend to paint them separately before gluing them together. 

Because of the shape, I'm sure I will have to adjust the fit slightly. I can then just spray paint the seams all being well. 

• Like 7

On 05/10/2017 at 6:21 PM, Nigel Heath said:

It certainly looks like a fantastic kit, I'm liking your progress so far. Keep up the good work.

Hello Nigel, thank you. I don't want to get behind like I normally do.

On 05/10/2017 at 9:48 PM, jrlx said:

Good progress, Joe. The detail in the kit continues to impress!

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime, thank you. Yes, the detail is very nice. 

Just a quick update. 

I'm still assembling the parts that I can before painting. I've added the detail to the sides of the fuselage(see bottom photo).

The only problem I've encountered so far is the pilots seat frame. It sits a little high which fouls the top of the fuselage. It needs a little trimmed at the bottom to lower it. I was at the Bovington show yesterday, and was taking to a gentlemen building his Walrus at the show. He said he had encountered the same problem. He had trimmed his, and it looked fine once he had fitted it. The photo below shows the area you might want to check before gluing in place. 

IMhy9Vt.jpg

The red line shows the area that could need to be trimmed. 

VfmOlSZ.jpg

The interior detail almost ready for a coat of paint. 

In the next day or so, I will start to assemble the floats and engine. 

Thanks for looking, Joe. 

• Like 8

Interesting that you're having problems with the pilots seat frame - mine was fine. The tolerances on everything seem to be tight though - wouldn't take much to throw things out a bit.

Take care not to trim too much - the frame at the back of the seat supports the roof, so you might cause yourself some problems further on.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, zebra said:

Interesting that you're having problems with the pilots seat frame - mine was fine. The tolerances on everything seem to be tight though - wouldn't take much to throw things out a bit.

Take care not to trim too much - the frame at the back of the seat supports the roof, so you might cause yourself some problems further on.

Hello Z, thank you, It is a nice tight fit. I would advise anyone to try dry fitting it several times before trimming any parts. 

I found the two location lugs at the bottom of part D36 a little bit to long. But as you say, the frame supports the roof when it's connected to the fuselage, so care must be taken not to create problems further on. 

Received mine yesterday. Looks really fantastic: good detail OOB, very neat moulding, nice clear parts, I didn't notice sink marks. Just one minor gripe: a huge number of very small ejector marks/stubs on the fuselage inner sides. But it was easily solved with some careful scraping and sanding.

I set it back in the stash till 2018,though.

I hope to rescue at least two kits out of the shelf of doom in the meantime.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Received mine yesterday. Looks really fantastic: good detail OOB, very neat moulding, nice clear parts, I didn't notice sink marks. Just one minor gripe: a huge number of very small ejector marks/stubs on the fuselage inner sides. But it was easily solved with some careful scraping and sanding.

I set it back in the stash till 2018,though.

I hope to rescue at least two kits out of the shelf of doom in the meantime.

I think you will enjoy yourself when you start building your Walrus.