1/48 Hasegawa N1K1-Ja

MeneMene

UBBzVpS.jpg?1

Resin cockpit by Aires

bmoHufq.jpg

Basic cockpit paintwork. The exact shade of Kawanishi cockpit green seems to be disputed, so I ended up just picking one of the most-quoted FS values and went with that.

lqEADEX.jpg

Finished cockpit, after detail painting, light chipping, and a wash

JJveohS.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MeneMene said:

Thanks.

1) Does anyone have any close-up images of the N1K1 landing gear so I can replicate the brake lines? I can only find good pictures from the N1K2

2) Were the control surfaces fabric or metal?

This photo was the best I could find. Maru Mechanic #21 in the N1K1/2 would probably have detail photos and drawings on the undercart, but long OOP and hard to find. I don't have this volume but maybe somebody out there does and can help you more than I. The control surfaces were metal-framed and fabric covered.

Mike

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/70/ac/ea/70aceaf82cff0d7781b7ef5c9b54be59--fighter-aircraft-aviators.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

The control surfaces were metal-framed and fabric covered.

The reason I ask is for the underside; if I'm going with the interpretation that the underside was bare metal, then the control surfaces shouldn't be silver, right? I was planning on doing the bare metal underside with the IJN grey on the drop tank, elevators, and ailerons.

1 hour ago, MeneMene said:

The reason I ask is for the underside; if I'm going with the interpretation that the underside was bare metal, then the control surfaces shouldn't be silver, right? I was planning on doing the bare metal underside with the IJN grey on the drop tank, elevators, and ailerons.

Gotcha! IIRC, the fabric control surfaces on the aircraft that had bare metal undersides were painted with a grey-green dope. I think Nick Millman or one of the other BM IJA/IJN enthusiasts can help you with a good source from one of the paint manufacturers and/or a close FS equivalent. I'm away from my references at the moment or I could look it up for you.

Mike

I remember saving information on this subject that Nick Millman provided on another forum. I think what I remember is that the IJA grey used for fabric-covered control surfaces was approximately FS 34424 or 34426. Gunze H62 and  Tamiya XF-14 were listed as readily available acrylics that were good matches. Aeromaster and Xtracolor also had enamels that were good matches, but will be pretty hard to find. Best I can do. He's the man when it comes to IJA/IJN colors, not me!

Edited by 72modeler
added additional information

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I remember saving information on this subject that Nick Millman provided on another forum. I think what I remember is that the IJA grey used for fabric-covered control surfaces was approximately FS 34424 or 34426. Gunze H62 and  Tamiya XF-14 were listed as readily available acrylics that were good matches

Thanks, I'll take a look

The cockpit fit neatly into the fuselage halves. I needed to add a spacer from sprue to improve the wing root fit

nmmIftE.jpg

Added the wings, stabilizers, and gunpods

5IJcRsU.jpg

Filled some sink marks and seams, rescribed what was necessary

ItDXaGo.jpg

Gunsight installed

yJc9NJW.jpg

Canopy interiors painted

X34qR6A.jpg

I was going to use a Vector resin engine, but in this aircraft it sits pretty deep in the cowling behind a large spinner, so I went with the kit version instead. To simplify painting the exhausts, I opted to build the engine and cowling as it's own, removable unit. To do that, I needed to mount the engine to some spacers to provide the right offset from the firewall

33FVtpc.jpg

Engine + cowling finished

7wynCkT.jpg

Ready for paint

6ggzG02.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, bruce bay said:

Also - was the resin cockpit a good fit? I haven't used one before, but the above is tempting me to try. Did it take a lot of sanding / fitting? 

The fit was excellent, dropped right in without a problem. Technically, the cockpit was for an N1K1, so some details are wrong like the machine gun breaches, but I don't think it's very visible.

11 hours ago, MeneMene said:

The fit was excellent, dropped right in without a problem. Technically, the cockpit was for an N1K1, so some details are wrong like the machine gun breaches, but I don't think it's very visible.

Many thanks! All the more tempting now. 

And once again - a lovely looking build! 

Primed

b47OvnT.jpg

Images of the specific aircraft, taken from the front quarter, don't show a ton of chipping. I'm still going to add a little bit around the cockpit and wing roots, so I painted those areas with aluminum

9aPS7Os.jpg

The underside much more thorough attention

peb71K0.jpg

• Like 1

Painted the IJN green with several fading layers, and also masked off various panels to give some variation

w0FGnhL.jpg

After the paint had dried, I activated some of the chipping fluid with water and started to flake off some paint along the high-traffic wing roots

NyHvN8Z.jpg

NzbbBap.jpg

What do you all think? I'm always afraid to overdo things like this. My plan is to keep it like that, and then add some more fainter/more subtle chipping with a silver colored pencil around the engine and outer wing areas. Again, I don't want to go overboard.

• Like 2

Masked and painted the hinomarus

VsoSOXn.jpg

Salt weathering, sprayed diluted light gray over the salt

qkUX6zA.jpg

After removing the salt, the effect was a little too strong, so I went back over it with the IJN green. I also painted on the tail numbers, wing stripes, and added some decals

htzbPRi.jpg

Here is the underside. As suggested above, I went over the control surfaces with XF-14

InXc5qe.jpg

A brown enamel wash brought out some details

oybqLnd.jpg

Drop tank painted and weathered

SmqUKOr.jpgl

Edited by MeneMene
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build. :)  Nice work on that office especially. I think you chose a nice shade!

I must say, of all the WW2 Japanese aircraft, this is the one I really feel like building. Never built any Zeroes or Oscars or whatever, but this one looks really cool in my eyes.

Thanks for posting your build so i get even more inspiration! ;)

You should remove that nasty joint line on the leading edge of the wing. It will destroy the whole effort put on this build if you don't.Same problem with your oil cooler. Best regards.

Edited by Zigomar