Steam Pigeon

06/24

As mentioned elsewhere, I have an affection for Supermarine’s ungainly, initially unloved (by the Air Ministry at least), Steam pigeon, the utilitarian but ultimately highly successful Walrus.

I have tried several times over the years to build one in 1/72, but have run aground on the shores of the elderly models available. Although limited run kits have been around for a while, Airfix’s new release is the first mainstream model in this scale for many years (Did Frog once make one?)

I have a family connection, albeit tenuous, in that my maternal grandfather was a pattern maker for Saunders Roe in Cowes, and while I have no definitive proof he worked on the Walrus, it’s a close enough connection to give this build added interest.

The model is unstarted (since I only got it today and box shots will follow when I get home. In the meantime, a trawl of the IWM archives found a number of inspiring shots for reference. Feast your eyes on these until I have some actual modelling to report!

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph

AIRCRAFT OF THE ROYAL AIR FORCE 1939-1945: SUPERMARINE WALRUS. © IWM (MH 6866)IWM Non Commercial Licence

AIRCRAFT OF THE ROYAL AIR FORCE 1939-1945: SUPERMARINE WALRUS.. © IWM (CH 18540)IWM Non Commercial Licence

A SUPERMARINE WALRUS AIRPLANE TAKING OFF AT MERS-EL-KEBIR, WITH THE SS EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA IN THE BACKGROUND. 20 JANUARY 1943, MERS-EL-KEBIR.. © IWM (A 14367)IWM Non Commercial Licence

NORTH AFRICA - FLEET AIR ARM SUPERMARINE WALRUS KEEPS WATCH OVER HOSPITAL SHIP. FORCE H AT SEA AND IN HARBOUR, 12 TO 14 JANUARY 1943, AT SEA AND AT MERS-EL-KEBIR.. © IWM (A 14168)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Especially for Ced – ITMA!

"ITMA" IN THE AIR;  TOMMY HANDLEY & PHT VISIT FLEET AIR ARM. 14 JANUARY 1944, ROYAL NAVAL AIR STATION TWATT. TOMMY HANDLEY AND THE MEMBERS OF HIS "ITMA" COMPANY HAVE MADE A SIX DAYS TOUR OF THE HOME FLEET AND NAVAL AIR STATIONS IN THE NORTH.. © IWM (A 21446)IWM Non Commercial Licence

"ITMA" IN THE AIR;  TOMMY HANDLEY & PHT VISIT FLEET AIR ARM. 14 JANUARY 1944, ROYAL NAVAL AIR STATION TWATT. TOMMY HANDLEY AND THE MEMBERS OF HIS "ITMA" COMPANY HAVE MADE A SIX DAYS TOUR OF THE HOME FLEET AND NAVAL AIR STATIONS IN THE NORTH.. © IWM (A 21444)IWM Non Commercial Licence

AIRCRAFT OF THE ROYAL AIR FORCE 1939-1945: SUPERMARINE WALRUS.. © IWM (CH 9027)IWM Non Commercial Licence

THE ROYAL NAVY DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR. © IWM (A 20690)IWM Non Commercial Licence

The last two images suggest how I have in mind to display the aircraft, if I can contrive a convincing water effect base.

• Like 10

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the GB! It's great having an Airfix Walrus in the builds, after all the GB was postponed as much as possible in order that this kit could be entered!

Looking forward to seeing it taking shape.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Me too - great to see you back on wingey things Jon :)

I love the Walrus. I have no idea why. Can't wait for the 1/72 release but, in the meantime, I'll watch your build with interest.

Thanks for the posting of the I.T.M.A. images for me. I'm trying to give up my role as double entendre monitor but I shall, as you're a friend of mine, make this exception...

RNAS where? Fnarr fnarr, snurf snurf :wicked:

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, CedB said:

Me too - great to see you back on wingey things Jon :)

I love the Walrus. I have no idea why. Can't wait for the 1/72 release but, in the meantime, I'll watch your build with interest.

Thanks for the posting of the I.T.M.A. images for me. I'm trying to give up my role as double entendre monitor but I shall, as you're a friend of mine, make this exception...

RNAS where? Fnarr fnarr, snurf snurf :wicked:

Wait. What! They're going to do it it in 1/72? Really. Why didn't I know this. Tell me you jest sir?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

I agree- not sure what it is about Supermarine flying boats but they have a certain something. Look forward to seeing how much detail Airfix have packed into their 1/48th!

55 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I saw the basis for this kit at the FAA museum so I'm looking forward to seeing how well it goes together ( I was wondering who would be the first to enter it!)

Now I feel more than a little nervous. Not sure my limited skill can do justice to this. Ho hum. Also my appalling failure rate at completing GBs is not a positive omen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

Wait. What! They're going to do it it in 1/72? Really. Why didn't I know this. Tell me you jest sir?

Well I'm just assuming they'll downsize the CAD like they've done with others... but then you know what 'assume' does, don't ya?

• Like 1

Hello dears,

A first glance at the 1/48 Walrus !!!

Thank a lot, will stay in a corner with my cubanisto !

It's one of the kit I hope to bring back from Telford !!

Good modelling time !

I'll follow for sure !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hi Jon,

Looks very detailed in the sprues. Should be a very interesting build to follow.

Like Ced I also hope Airfix will downsize it to 1/72.

Cheers

Jaime

That's rarver spesh, innit? Know wha' Oi mean?

Much too nice for me to do any good with, I'm glad that I cancelled my pre-order at H months ago. I will however look forward to seeing what those with higher skill sets than moi can do with it.

I would love to share progress, but 06/24junior is currently doing something calle "World of Warcraft" which apparently entails full use of our shared workspace for his laptop. I thought they were meant to work on your lap?

• Haha 2