New Airfix Walrus

Andy Robbins

23 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Disappointed in the bas-relief lever quadrants.  Would have expected separate parts in 1/48.  And in 1/72 if the kit was from Eduard.

Were the quadrants scale thickness they'd intrude further into the cockpit than they should due to the unavoidable side wall thickness (the kit's plastic is thicker than the aluminium sheet used on the real thing, just as in almost every plastic kit ever produced).  If it bothers you that much you can always either scratch build replacements or wait for the Eduard etched brass and hours of folding and playing with superglue.  Had it been produced by Eduard it would have been frustratingly over-engineered, with myriads of near-microscopic parts, and wouldn't have made Airfix any money.  

• Like 3

The amount of items in the interior is basic, some of the items eg the pilots seat, are great. There is a lot of the smaller detail in there that is missed or very basic is shape and detail. They have achieved a balance between detail and cost as the more detail there is the higher the cost.

Edited by Harvs73
Spelling

8 hours ago, Harvs73 said:

The amount of items in the interior is basic, some of the items eg the pilots seat, are great. There is a lot of the smaller detail in there that is missed or very basic is shape and detail. They have achieved a balance between detail and cost as the more detail there is the higher the cost.

I suppose if you look at it that way you are right. I would agree that whats there is very well detailed. It will be interesting to see how much is visible once complete.

Well I was very impressed when I got mine from Jadlam yesterday. I suppose all kits are just starting points. The more you get out of the box, the better and if you don't like it, scratch build a better bit - thats modelling isn't it? From what I can see, Airfix have given us a superb basis to make a Walrus. A few years ago you would never imagine it could be so good and I just hope Airfix keep on doing what they are doing. Separate tyres are a nice touch. One thing I noticed and that was one of the later CAD drawing which show the canopy roof slid back. It also suggests a side panel hinged open but I can't see a separate bit for that? But again, if you want it, get the saw out! The only thing it really needs is a set of colour etch seat belts. Oh one thing - is the radio operators or navigators seat right? It looks like the kind of tubular steel seat we were used to seeing everywhere a few years ago, not an aircraft grade seat. I wonder if it had been put inside the fuselage at Yeovilton - or wherever Airfix did their research? I am intrigued by that!! As far as ejector pin marks are concerned, is that due to the amount of internal framing moulded into the fuselage? In mine it will get buried under paint and dark washes - no worries there!!

Overall, a very elegant model.

• Like 2

There are separate parts to show the canopy roof in its aft position and the open side  window.

I think Airfix have done an exceptional job with this kit.

There is enough aftermarket from Eduard to add a greater level of detailing - if you don't mind the additional cost. Frankly I'd rather have 2 kits and forget about the etch!

2 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

is the radio operators or navigators seat right?

I found a Flickr album of interior views - https://www.flickr.com/groups/1818184@N23/discuss/72157629795949014/ - and one of those pics of the mid section shows a seat looking rather like the Airfix one. It is certainly in keeping with the spirit of 1930's aviation!

• Like 1

I think the only thing that I don’t like is that the interior walls are Ejector Pin City. The rest is really nice. I think that a trial fit will show how many marks need to actually come out and how many you can ignore. I agree that the wall thickness dictates the size of the sidewall detail, but I bet there will be a lot you can’t see anyway. I have to say that I don’t use tons of Eduard now apart from their masks or sometimes seatbelts. It’s fine for their own kits, because they are made with the details in mind, but some of the rest can be a bit ‘style over substance,’ like their Lynx details that stop the seats fitting, or their massively oversize Gladiator panel. I really like the Walrus kit. You can always find niggles if you look close enough, but taken as a whole, it’s pretty impressive. My grandad built them at Cowes during the war. It’s a funny thought that at least one of the options could be a replica of one that had his fingerprints on. 

I'm almost at the painting stage with mine (WIP is in the flying boats group build). I think Airfix have done a great job, for me the level of interior detail is just fine, the external detail is lovely, and it goes together very nicely. I'll be building at least one more, and might not stop there.

I do agree the ejector pin marks are disappointing, but there aren't many that will actually be visible once it's closed up. I could have put more effort into cleaning mine up, if you shine a light into the front and rear observers' hatches you can see one or two of them, in normal light you can't see any. I've used the closed canopy and can't see any in the cockpit. So if you're going to deal with the ejector pin marks, concentrate on the ones around the hatches, and the cockpit if the canopy is going to be open. I wouldn't bother with any of the others.

On 28/09/2017 at 5:24 PM, Seahawk said:

While we poor 1/72 modellers watch and weep.

Well I share your pain regarding the Sea King & Phantom kits not being 1/48th! lol

• Julien locked this topic