Rye Field Mid Production Tiger I

Fantastic pair.

Hard to chose between them (not that that's the object of the operation) but 324 is my favourite. Nice weathering and chipping, tidy build, great subtle camo. I particularly like the photo looking up its jacksie.

As for F01, that too is a nice build and camo, but I like them a bit dirtier. :D

A small criticism would be regarding the damaged side skirt. If something hit that skirt hard enough to fracture it and cause it to tear like that, I'd expect to see an actual point of impact.

Rearguards,

Badder

Some chipping on the edges of the fenders but it could be mud on the hull sides, probably not all that realistic but maybe should have been some scraping like running through and past

tree branches.  Haven't figured out how to do that scraping and scratching but it would look good. I read that these Tigers spent a bit of time in ambush positions which would probably

involve tree branches and foliage dinging up the paint but how to duplicate that effect is a question.

Lloyd

Thanks again Stix

How would you go about making scraping and scratching effects down the fenders, hull sides and the hull front under the glacis as if it had ran through some stubborn hedges or tough tree branches?

I thought about trying some 50 grit sandpaper and making some gouges in one direction but that may not be the best and they probably wouldn't end up parallel scratches like tree branches would make.

The good old Xacto #11 and my shaky hands aren't a good option either.

The chipping effects on the edges of the fenders look not bad but the random spots on the hull sides look kind of out of place.  The other thing is those chips are actually red primer which shows up

as black against the basic yellow.  Maybe I need to make the primer a brighter red?  If I paint the model in red primer and then apply the yellow base coat maybe I could actually chip it so the red would show through

but that's asking a lot for semi-skilled workers, namely me.  The sponge method works pretty good for random chips but the scraping might be a bad idea.

Thoughts?

Just had a brain fart.  Has anyone ever tried the hairspray method over the red primer before adding the base yellow and brown/green camo?  That would seem to make it easier to create

scrapes and such so the red primer shows through.  It works with white for whitewash schemes so it should work for basic 3 color camo with a little judicious scraping. Hmmmmm.......too late on this

pair but there's more Tiger I's or what have you available as guinea pigs. 

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

Tried some scraping down the one side of the fenders and hull and some more red in the primer.  The front fender on that side could use some more work but I think I'll leave it alone now.

This is the side facing the wall in the display case and that's probably a good thing.

LkApfXp.jpgjOEp0PE.jpgKvKE5ej.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

T

Just had a brain fart.  Has anyone ever tried the hairspray method over the red primer before adding the base yellow and brown/green camo?  That would seem to make it easier to create

scrapes and such so the red primer shows through.  It works with white for whitewash schemes so it should work for basic 3 color camo with a little judicious scraping. Hmmmmm.......too late on this

pair but there's more Tiger I's or what have you available as guinea pigs. 

Lloyd

Nice Tigers.

Not cammo, but i sprayed my protze in red primer and then use the hairspray technic on the wings which gave this effect, so ought to be ok on 3 colour cammo:

-CdUIIDdATmjQvv7-s1zGLuUdByGadZpJ1TobllQ

Zz-AuKMYEOk47vXevWaPhiM1zROosd7S0r72n3Fc

18 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Tried some scraping down the one side of the fenders and hull and some more red in the primer.  The front fender on that side could use some more work but I think I'll leave it alone now.

This is the side facing the wall in the display case and that's probably a good thing.

LkApfXp.jpgjOEp0PE.jpgKvKE5ej.jpg

That looks much better mate, more like scratches and scrapes along the sides from trees or walls.

The sponge method chips look like the paint has been stabbed or poked at, not driven along something. 

The sponge method is better for doing scratches on corners or along edges, which you can join together with small paintbrush strokes, rather than random splonges in the centre of plates. 

You're right Tony, the sponge method does look rather strange in the middle of plates.  I hadn't realized that until you mentioned it. 

The sponge does look good on edges, just not everywhere like I've been using it.   I suppose it could represent machine gun or rifle impacts in places if it could

be applied in a regular pattern, but that's beyond me.

I'm going to try Marc's idea of the primer/hairspray under the camo colors for the next effort as I think that would be more realistic if applied in moderation.  Along the hull sides and fenders, and the front plate and glacis

would be good places I think and the sponge treatment on turret edges and around hatches where the crew mounted and dismounted or dragged stuff.

Thanks Tony

Lloyd