1/32 Revell Spitfire

Here's my 1/32 Revell Spitfire. I finished off the build late last week. It was a great kit which went together nicely. Really pleased with how it came out and especially the paint. Brushed with @HATAKA OFFICIALRed Line paints. Weathered lightly with Flory Wash and Tamiya Weathering Sets. Plenty of little errors across the model, but I'm pretty chuffed with how it came out in the end. Enjoy :) 

20170926_160149.jpg

20170926_160200.jpg

20170926_160208.jpg

20170926_160219.jpg

20170926_160235.jpg

20170926_160240.jpg

20170926_160249.jpg

20170926_160257.jpg

20170926_160306.jpg

20170926_160315.jpg

20170926_160346.jpg

• Like 35

Thanks for the kind words guys!

6 hours ago, Vinnie said:

That is a lovely build, well done. Paintwork is great especially as it's hand brushed. How did you get on with the Hataka paints? I found some colours ok for a hairy stick and others not so. RLM02 comes to mind.

I've found them to be excellent for brush painting. I've never tried using the Blue Line (specifically for brushes) because the Red Line being pre-thinned for airbrushing paints on very nicely with a brush. I build it up in three coats over a grey primer. First couple of coats usually look pretty poor, but the third coat bring its it all together. I've been very impressed with the colour density and the finish it gives. Depending on the colour I usually thin the paint just a little with the Hataka thinner, I've found some colours require little if any thinning whilst others need a little help - I guess it is to do with pigmentation?

This build, for example, I placed the decals straight onto the paint finish without a varnish. This is the 3rd model I've finished with Hataka paints and my trusty brush and I've been pretty pleased with the finish in all cases. 

That being said, I've just gotten an airbrush, so now I'm tinkering with that...it's a whole new ball game for me!

• Like 2

Great work. As mentioned by others the brushwork is extraordinary. You mention 3 thin coats - any other tips for those like me who struggle with the hairy stick?

Erm, not really to be honest. I used to ask the same question of some of the other excellent brush painters here on BM.

Basically, I prime with Tamiya grey primer and then build up my layers. The first coat looks pretty awful, as does the second. After the second coat things begin to look a little more normal, so I give it a light buff with a buffing pad (I use a Flory one) or just a paper kitchen tool. Then I apply the third coat. Depending on the colour that's usually enough. It comes out pretty smooth and, in this example, I applied the decals straight onto the finish. Other colours, the green for example, I applied a fourth coat. 

I think it is all a case of experimenting. I'd heard a lot of praise for Vallejo, but I found myself getting too many brush strokes. Hataka was more workable for me, and produces no brush strokes.

• Thanks 1

A great model with an impressive finish, and all the more so since it's apparently brush painted. Hat off!

A couple of smallish details detract from perfect authenticity: the cockpit door shouldn't really hang straight down but hang at a shallow angle. Also, on a parked Spit, the elevators almost invariably and typically droop (unless a joystick locking bar has been fitted).

Very slick modelling over all!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

A great model with an impressive finish, and all the more so since it's apparently brush painted. Hat off!

A couple of smallish details detract from perfect authenticity: the cockpit door shouldn't really hang straight down but hang at a shallow angle. Also, on a parked Spit, the elevators almost invariably and typically droop (unless a joystick locking bar has been fitted).

Very slick modelling over all!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks!

Yeah, there's a couple of places where I put ease ahead of accuracy. Didn't know that about the door, I just placed it where I could get it to stick! It was a great fun kit to build, so I think I would like to do another build and go for full accuracy. 

Edited by Sobby_23
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 28/09/2017 at 6:49 PM, Xspace said:

Well done! is it a new tool spitfire XIc from revell ?

Sorry for never replying! Yes, it is. Enjoyable build, went together very well with only a little filling required. This was a bit of a mojo builder for me and it certainly fulfilled that! 

In that awkward stage now where I've been fiddling about with an airbrush and not quite getting as good a finish as I was with my hairy stick :/ 

Oh well, practice makes perfect. 

Excellent smooth and very tidy finish on your Spitfire - great to see another brush painter (I use the hairy stick) so can appreciate what you have achieved here.

Regards

Dave